Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:48:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The criminal element  (Read 1467 times)
notig (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 03:33:18 AM

Can bitcoin really be blamed if a criminal uses it? I think this is the first and only subject most mainstream media will talk about if they introduce their readers to the bitcoin.

Bitcoin is designed for the internet age. It's designed to be better than what we have at doing what money does. Since it is better at it's job, then people will use it. This includes criminals. But can bitcoin be blamed if a criminal uses bitcoin because it's a better and more convenient form of money?

That's like saying cellphones can be blamed because criminals can use them. Why does a criminal use them? because cell phones are a more convenient form of communication than writing a letter which is what we used to have.  Saying that bitcoin is bad because criminals use it is like saying that cars are bad because criminals can use them to help in their criminal lives. Why do criminals use them? Because cars are a better form of transportation than horse and running which are the forms of transportation they replaced.

Just thought I'd get that off my chest.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 03:36:31 AM

No, Bitcoin cannot be blamed—one of the media's faults when describing Bitcoin. But it could, and should, be used to help stop criminals, as it is far more traceable than historical forms of currency. If criminals wish to use Bitcoin, they should expect to be caught.
Driice

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 03:40:33 AM

No, Bitcoin cannot be blamed—one of the media's faults when describing Bitcoin. But it could, and should, be used to help stop criminals, as it is far more traceable than historical forms of currency. If criminals wish to use Bitcoin, they should expect to be caught.

It's a lot harder to trace in smaller transfers.

Besides, it's anonymous Tongue I was talking about bitcoins with my mom the other day and she decided it would be the perfect way to launder money
Monster Tent

Activity: 238

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 03:42:24 AM

Can bitcoin really be blamed if a criminal uses it? I think this is the first and only subject most mainstream media will talk about if they introduce their readers to the bitcoin.

Bitcoin is designed for the internet age. It's designed to be better than what we have at doing what money does. Since it is better at it's job, then people will use it. This includes criminals. But can bitcoin be blamed if a criminal uses bitcoin because it's a better and more convenient form of money?

That's like saying cellphones can be blamed because criminals can use them. Why does a criminal use them? because cell phones are a more convenient form of communication than writing a letter which is what we used to have.  Saying that bitcoin is bad because criminals use it is like saying that cars are bad because criminals can use them to help in their criminal lives. Why do criminals use them? Because cars are a better form of transportation than horse and running which are the forms of transportation they replaced.

The government should concentrate on catching actual criminals who do harm rather than people performing non violent trade.

dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 11:32:42 PM

The government should concentrate on catching actual criminals who do harm rather than people performing non violent trade.

Why does politics have to inch into every topic, even ones that have nothing to do with it? Bitcoin has to fit into the system we have now. Trying to fit the system onto Bitcoin is useless and unproductive. Bitcoin is important, but not that important.

Besides, it's anonymous Tongue I was talking about bitcoins with my mom the other day and she decided it would be the perfect way to launder money
Bitcoin is anonymous in the sense that careful criminals can escape the reach of incompetent detectives. Any large operation will come under great scrutiny and be eventually figured out. That's why we should embrace Bitcoin for its ability to detect and eliminate organized crime, not defame it for facilitating it.
Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 11:57:06 PM

Being a criminal is a high risk, high return business. Discovering emerging technologies that give you a "competetive advantage" is more important than for regular businesses.

Being a successful criminal demands lots of "out of the box thinking". That's why they are amongst the earliest adopters in communication tech, logistics and financial services.
toni_iommi

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 04:14:22 AM

Locks only keep honest people out.
btcinstant

Activity: 180

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 04:14:52 AM

It's no different then the gun debate. People kill people not guns.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2013, 09:00:37 AM

It looks like my prejudices about this sort of thing is correct, whenever something bad happens that humans caused a lot of humans prefer to blame the inanimate object rather than the human.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2013, 09:38:23 AM

Why does politics have to inch into every topic, even ones that have nothing to do with it? Bitcoin has to fit into the system we have now. Trying to fit the system onto Bitcoin is useless and unproductive. Bitcoin is important, but not that important.

Bitcoin is anonymous in the sense that careful criminals can escape the reach of incompetent detectives. Any large operation will come under great scrutiny and be eventually figured out. That's why we should embrace Bitcoin for its ability to detect and eliminate organized crime, not defame it for facilitating it.

Interesting! Would the average Joe prefer using a currency that a criminal may use because it possibly could be undetectable, or embrace it due to the fact that all their spending happens would be an open book?

Seems like we have ourselves a quagmire.

~Bruno K~
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 09:48:05 AM

I agree with you 100%. Also, the world is run by criminals: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/gangster-bankers-too-big-to-jail-20130214

Bitcoin being popular because it can be used for criminal causes is a moot point imo. However, you will still have a big problem explaining that to most banks at this point. They will get their panties in a bunch because of fears of 'money laundering', yet they hesitate not to do business with the worst offenders there is.

Oh... those dudes, we just ignore.. *fingers in ears* lalalalalallalalalalalalalalalalalalal... or pretend  *we don't know anything about their crimes, they're a reputable financial institutions*.

It seems like that some people are more concerned with the annoying fly swirling around their heads while they don't notice the elephant trampling all over their back yard.

Besides, most people are victims of the current establishment, and don't really see how things works.
coqui33

Activity: 198

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2013, 11:13:13 AM

Two problems with discussing crime in the context of any global technological innovation like bitcoin: relativism and corruption.

Relativism -- Except for those acts identified by Bastiat as universally criminal, one society's crime is another's norm. No matter how digusting and criminal you consider an act to be (drugs, gambling, prostitution, bizarre consensual sex, sex between adults and adolescents, eating insects, dogs, cats, etc.), I can find you a society that considers the act normal. And no matter how obviously acceptable you find an act (lending money, Protestant worship, female literacy) I can find you a society that considers it a disgusting crime. Like it or not, the globe is vast, and bitcoin is global.

Corruption -- Victimless crimes are exploited and enforced by those in power to oppress everyone else. This is because such "crimes" are deliberately crafted to be ambiguous. They enable punishment of the powerless, no matter how timid and cautious. They exempt the powerful, no matter how arrogant and tyrranical.

Armed Citizens and the Law -- NRA-certified firearms instructor
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 11:21:30 AM

Two problems with discussing crime in the context of any global technological innovation like bitcoin: relativism and corruption.

Relativism -- Except for those acts identified by Bastiat as universally criminal, one society's crime is another's norm. No matter how digusting and criminal you consider an act to be (drugs, gambling, prostitution, bizarre consensual sex, sex between adults and adolescents, eating insects, dogs, cats, etc.), I can find you a society that considers the act normal. And no matter how obviously acceptable you find an act (lending money, Protestant worship, female literacy) I can find you a society that considers it a disgusting crime. Like it or not, the globe is vast, and bitcoin is global.

Corruption -- Victimless crimes are exploited and enforced by those in power to oppress everyone else. This is because such "crimes" are deliberately crafted to be ambiguous. They enable punishment of the powerless, no matter how timid and cautious. They exempt the powerful, no matter how arrogant and tyrranical.
Well said. Thanks for pointing out that different societies exploit the powerless of all ethnic and religious persuasions. Corruption is an equal opportunist enterprise.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
toni_iommi

Activity: 25

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 06:37:18 PM

Tax evasion is a crime. Regardless of how individuals "feel" about taxes. The burden falls on the working people.
hackjealousy

Activity: 53

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 07:20:05 PM

This sounds familiar.  Let me see if I can find the post:

Quote from: benf "February 17, 1786, 01:36:38 PM"
Can US dollar bills really be blamed if criminals use them? I think this is the first and only subject most townspeople will talk about if they talk about US dollars.

US dollars are designed for the industrial age. It's designed to be better than what we have at doing what gold does. Since it is better at it's job, then people will use it. This includes criminals. But can US dollars be blamed if criminals use US dollars because they are a better and more convenient form of denominating wealth?

That's like saying carrier pigeons can be blamed because criminals can use them. Why does a criminal use them? because carrier pigeons are a more convenient form of communication than writing a letter which is what we used to have.  Saying that US dollars are bad because criminals use them is like saying that horses are bad because criminals can use them to help in their criminal lives. Why do criminals use them? Because horses are a better form of transportation than running which is the form of transportation they replaced.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: