Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:21:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sold my truck for bitcoins  (Read 2597 times)
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2013, 04:09:45 AM

Ok, it is not all that spectacular since I am selling my truck to my mother but...

I told her that if she is going to buy it she has to pay me in bitcoins.

This is mainly to help her learn how to convert her dollars to bitcoins to help her get her feet wet.

Plus the usefulness of Bitcoin comes into play here. I will be out of the country with no access to a bank. She cannot send me a check. She would have to either go to my bank and deposit into my account or attempt some sort of wire transfer or come up with some other difficult way to pay me (or expensive using PayPal).

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Gestas

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 04:19:02 AM

Have fun explaining this to your mom when MtGox gets "hacked" and her passport and personal information are all over the internet.

P.S. a Bank deposit would be much simpler but I guess you need to teach your poor mom a lesson instead of being grateful that she is doing you a favor.
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2013, 04:22:32 AM

Have fun explaining this to your mom when MtGox gets "hacked" and her passport and personal information are all over the internet.

P.S. a Bank deposit would be much simpler but I guess you need to teach your poor mom a lesson instead of being grateful that she is doing you a favor.

Not when the closest branch for my bank is hundreds of miles away from where she lives.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Gestas

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 04:23:42 AM

Not when the closest branch for my bank is hundreds of miles away from where she lives.
Wire transfer is still incredibly easy compared to having to bathe in the blood of a virgin and give all your personal info to use MtGox.

Oh well though, maybe I could interest your mother in my investment fund? 15% interest per week!!
Nesetalis

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 04:29:49 AM

much anger there, eh Gestas? Tongue

As for OP, good on you, hope your mother takes to it!

ZOMG Moo!
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 05:07:42 PM

Your mother spent money and time raising you and you made her buy your truck Sad What a terrible son you must be! Tongue

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2013, 05:19:42 PM

Your mother spent money and time raising you and you made her buy your truck Sad What a terrible son you must be! Tongue

Well, actually I was just going to drop it off at CarMax and get a check but she wanted it. I told her she could just have it but she insists on paying for it.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 05:21:49 PM

If you're having trouble with Bitcoin's Paypal, try Bitstamp.net

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2013, 05:31:33 PM

Ok, it is not all that spectacular since I am selling my truck to my mother but...

This is mainly to help her learn how to convert her dollars to bitcoins to help her get her feet wet.

Plus the usefulness of Bitcoin comes into play here. I will be out of the country with no access to a bank. She cannot send me a check. She would have to either go to my bank and deposit into my account or attempt some sort of wire transfer or come up with some other difficult way to pay me (or expensive using PayPal).

why how does your mom have bitcoin?
Are you making her buy the coins off mtgox and then she can buy your car with it
this is your MOM, why! why, would you do this to her Huh

Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2013, 06:32:08 PM

Are you making her buy the coins off mtgox and then she can buy your car with it

I could care less if other people use Bitcoin. They will eventually, it is just a matter of when will the technology make it as simple as paypal to switch over. Until then, I am content in buying Bitcoin cheap while it still takes a bit of effort to get set up initially.

But I care about my family and want them to benefit as well. If I can show my mom how to get Bitcoin so that after that initial transaction she knows how to easily transfer money from her bank account, then she will be able to do so at her leisure from then on and enjoy the benefits that come along with it.

She used to not understand text messaging on her cell phone (she called it a "tex mex"). Now she is on her iPhone almost constantly.

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2013, 07:10:48 PM

I could care less if other people use Bitcoin. They will eventually, it is just a matter of when will the technology make it as simple as paypal to switch over. Until then, I am content in buying Bitcoin cheap while it still takes a bit of effort to get set up initially.

But I care about my family and want them to benefit as well. If I can show my mom how to get Bitcoin so that after that initial transaction she knows how to easily transfer money from her bank account, then she will be able to do so at her leisure from then on and enjoy the benefits that come along with it.

She used to not understand text messaging on her cell phone (she called it a "tex mex"). Now she is on her iPhone almost constantly.

if you want your family to benefit as well, give them a COIN or two... OR  buy their car with bitcoin!  don't make then spend their bitcoin  Tongue

I'd take her dollars and convert them to bitcoin myself if it was my mom...

Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 09:34:29 PM

Dude you should totally have her send first, then once you get the coins, disappear and never talk to her again.

No, just kidding. But use Escrow just in case.

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2013, 09:55:35 PM

I think the partly told backstory of why using the established channels is horrendously inconvenient was underplayed. This is precisely the application of Bitcoin that's gonna change the world.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 09:58:21 PM

Wire transfer is still incredibly easy compared to having to bathe in the blood of a virgin and give all your personal info to use MtGox.

Why on Earth would you do that?  There are other ways to get bitcoins, they might just take more effort.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 10:02:47 PM

Coinbase uses the exact same bank account funding methods that Paypal does, and it's about as annoying to "verify".  Mt. Gox can't do it the same way because they're out of country.  Once set up, however, Coinbase seems easier to me.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

mccorvic

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 10:08:32 PM

Dude you should totally have her send first, then once you get the coins, disappear and never talk to her again.

No, just kidding. But use Escrow just in case.

I lol'd

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2013, 10:12:10 PM

Coinbase uses the exact same bank account funding methods that Paypal does, and it's about as annoying to "verify".  Mt. Gox can't do it the same way because they're out of country.  Once set up, however, Coinbase seems easier to me.

Nice. I will try first before showing her.

Gestas

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 12:05:27 AM

Yeah, hopefully she too will one day be able to experience the wonderful benefits of:
1) Losing money to obvious ponzi schemes
2) Bitcoin bank "hacks"
3) Paying ridiculous fees for the privilege to use bitcoins
4) Having her internet fun money lose over half its value over night!
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 01:18:44 AM

Yeah, hopefully she too will one day be able to experience the wonderful benefits of:
2) Bitcoin bank "hacks"

Dude, you've had some seriously poor luck.  Of the set, I've only experienced #2, for a personal cost of about $7 due to one of the early online wallet websites being hacked.  Of course, since most of my coins I bought for under a dime, the trade value of bitcoin would have to lose half it value over night, every night for a week straight before I actually lost anything at all!

mccorvic

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 02:12:07 AM

2) Bitcoin bank "hacks"
[/quote]

Oh, baby troll tryin' so hard. Just precious.

Been using bitcoin since March 11 and have never had any trouble.  Please let me know if you need help using bitcoin.  Seriously, I will help explain how to use it correctly.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: