Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 01:47:28 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: how to get privatekey with base58 to get real address - help me please  (Read 871 times)
rosita24 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2016, 04:54:05 AM

Hello Admins and Bitcoin Experts.

I need help.
I have private key one of my btc addresses. but it is in Base58 format. I don't know how to import base58 format private keys. I tried it with blockchain in simple Import option but it showed me a different address.

please some one help me about this.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2016, 07:04:09 AM

I need help.
I have private key one of my btc addresses. but it is in Base58 format. I don't know how to import base58 format private keys. I tried it with blockchain in simple Import option but it showed me a different address.

You can use bitaddress[1] to convert between different key formats. Use the offline version is you plan to keep the key.

[1] https://www.bitaddress.org/

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
rosita24 (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2016, 09:30:13 AM

I need help.

You can use bitaddress[1] to convert between different key formats. Use the offline version is you plan to keep the key.

not available base58 format in this tool. any other Idea?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2016, 09:39:23 AM
Last edit: April 19, 2016, 10:01:52 AM by shorena

I need help.

not available base58 format in this tool. any other Idea?

To be honest I didnt expect you to actually have a base58 key, because WIF is in base58. How did you get a base58 formatted key that is missing the WIF checksum?

Edit: it looks like its an blockchain.info export format. Im not familiar with that format, maybe someone else can chime in. It might have some time to see if I can find a solution with some test keys.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4669

View Profile
April 19, 2016, 05:06:09 PM
Last edit: April 20, 2016, 12:46:16 PM by DannyHamilton

Edit: it looks like its an blockchain.info export format. Im not familiar with that format, maybe someone else can chime in. It might have some time to see if I can find a solution with some test keys.

Yep.  Blockchain.info   in their infinite wisdom  has abandoned the more traditional representations of bitcoin private keys (such as WIF and HEX) and instead decided to display private keys as a base58 value with no version, checksum, or compression indicators.  I'm sure someone over there probably thought it would be a good idea, but I don't know why.

Therefore it seems that anyone running the latest blockchain.info web interface doesn't have access to the more traditional and multisystem-compatible formats.  I'm sure there will soon be several converters written to help people with this problem.
Wusolini
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

no need to carry heavy money bags anymore

View Profile
April 19, 2016, 06:09:56 PM

Import address to any client that supports export in Base58 format. I know Armory can do this

rosita24 (OP)

View Profile
April 20, 2016, 05:57:57 AM

Import address to any client that supports export in Base58 format. I know Armory can do this
I don't have access to armory. as I am using windows pc. do you think I can do it in Multibit?
jeffersonairplane
Legendary

Activity: 1522
Merit: 1000

www.bitkong.com

View Profile
April 20, 2016, 09:03:11 AM

I don't have access to armory. as I am using windows pc. do you think I can do it in Multibit?

armory is available for windows pc though https://www.bitcoinarmory.com/download/

BTCitcointalk
.    ██████████████████████████████████
                                                                 ██
                                                               ███   ██
                                                      ██      ███  ███
                                                     ███     ██  ███  ██
    ▄▄████▄▄    █▌                                         ███  ██  ██
  ██▀       ▀▀  █▌                                   ▀▀   ██▌███  ███ ██
▄█              █▌  ▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄   ▄   ▄▄▄█▄████████ ████   
█▌              ███▀.   ██    ██     ▀███   ███▀
   ████████████████      ▐█
█               ██       █   ██        ██   ██
     █████████▌██████       ▐█
█▌              █▌       █▌  █         ██   ██
      ██████████▀   █       ▐█
 █▄             █▌       █▌
█████████████████████████████████▌     █       ██
  ▀██▄     ▄██  ██
████████▌██████████████████████████████████     ██▄   ▄███
     ▀████▀▀████████████████████▀▀▀▀▀██████               ██▄▀▀██    ▀▀▀  ██
   ███▀▀▄▄▄█████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀                           ██████▄     ██
 ███▄▄██████████▀                                                 ▀█████▀▀
                                                                        ███

█████████████████████████████
Program

❤️
Give Hope To Everyone
━━━━━━━» $1 Is A Big Thing For Them

❤️
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6720

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2016, 11:35:42 AM

As Danny started above, the base58 exported by blockchain.info IS NOT the standard base58 Wallet Import Format. No client will be able to import this key.

armory is available for windows pc though https://www.bitcoinarmory.com/download/
If you want to install armory, DO NOT get it from that website. Armory's development has changed hands and that site I'd NJ longer armory's official site. The binaries there are out of date. Instead get armory from https://github.com/goatpig/BitcoinArmory/releases/tag/v0.94.1

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2016, 09:22:29 PM

Someone with the same problem reported the solution to be this page.

Thanks for your information.
I have found a decoder - http://lenschulwitz.com/base58

Just entered the resulting hex format into bitaddress' wallet details and received the WIF key. Btw, that key starts with "L"  instead of "5". Does that mean they are  still generating older versions of bitcoin wallets before encoding it to base58?

Maybe it can help you as well.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: