Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:34:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WTB: Android phone CLOSED  (Read 1191 times)
AndrewK (OP)

Activity: 819
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 01:09:15 PM
Last edit: February 22, 2013, 05:33:20 PM by AndrewK

I need an android phone that can be unlocked. This is a project I'm working on so the cheaper I can get one the better but it'd be nice if it was Android 4.0 and was in good condition.

PM me or post here with what you have and what you want.

Thanks guys!

1K4BacKKdssA5RGzaFx3D4LC9HVXjE2NvS

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ataranlen

Activity: 846
Merit: 1000

The One and Only

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2013, 03:05:41 PM

GSM/CDMA/Other? I'm not ready to sell my VZW galaxy nexus just yet, waiting for the GSIV

MineTexas.com Minecraft Server We accept Bitcoin and Dogecoin.
Deepbit on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Deepbit/151108048294815
AndrewK (OP)

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 04:08:09 PM

I'd prefer quad band of some sort... let me know what u have. In the US as well but it won't be going on a carrier.

I am going to be using a SDR for communications.

chris200x9
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1011

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 06:58:25 PM

I have a vibrant with 4.1.2, I think cm 10.1 came ou for it so I could upgrade to 4.2 if you want.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 07:02:35 PM

I got a Virgin Mobile Optimus Slider that's rooted. I just switched from VM to ST, and upgraded to a Nexus 4. I's only got 2.3, but I'll ship it for 3.5BTC.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 07:12:28 PM

I need an android phone that is completed unlocked and allows root access. This is a project I'm working on so the cheaper I can get one the better but it'd be nice if it was Android 4.0 and was in good condition.

Thanks guys!

I recommend that you go onto Ebay and buy a used Samsung Intercept for Virgin Mobile or Sprint.  They will be cheaper than any other Android because they are fairly old and cannot be switched to a GSM carrier due to hardware issues.  Not the fastest phone anymore, never was really; but it does work and can be upgraded to 4.0 after rooting, and it's easy to root.  I have one and am considering buying a spare to give to myt daughter as a wifi only device.  Great machines for the price.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 07:24:31 PM

I recommend that you go onto Ebay and buy a used Samsung Intercept for Virgin Mobile or Sprint.  They will be cheaper than any other Android because they are fairly old and cannot be switched to a GSM carrier due to hardware issues.  Not the fastest phone anymore, never was really; but it does work and can be upgraded to 4.0 after rooting, and it's easy to root.  I have one and am considering buying a spare to give to myt daughter as a wifi only device.  Great machines for the price.
I had an Intercept before I switched to the Optimus Slider on VM. The Intercept sucks. Everything about it is slow and inadequate: CPU, RAM, internal storage... And that's assuming you don't have a unit that decides it's going to have major issues. I've owned 3 Intercepts, and members of my family have owned another 4, and almost every single one has been hated and barely functional. I feel kinda bad for trashing on them so much, but at the same time, I kinda don't. Tongue

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
AndrewK (OP)

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 07:33:22 PM

Interested in the slider... But I can get it brand new from amazon for $68

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 07:39:54 PM

I had an Intercept before I switched to the Optimus Slider on VM. The Intercept sucks. Everything about it is slow and inadequate: CPU, RAM, internal storage... And that's assuming you don't have a unit that decides it's going to have major issues. I've owned 3 Intercepts, and members of my family have owned another 4, and almost every single one has been hated and barely functional. I feel kinda bad for trashing on them so much, but at the same time, I kinda don't. Tongue

Are you saying that I ended up with the only apple, or that your entire family ended up with the lemons?  After three years, you can't expect that the cell phone is going to be a superstar, but if it's just now being sold as used, it's probably not a lemon either.

Mine runs 4.0 just fine, as long as I don't try to listen to a podcast and answer a call over a bluetooth earpiece at the same time.  It can't handle the pause, switch, connect, answer and unmute in a fast enough time period to actually accept an incoming phone call; but they all have their limitations.  It really depends upon what it's being used for.  It'd be a great microcontroller for a DIY drone, for example.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

AndrewK (OP)

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 08:05:51 PM

Thats kind of the direction I'm heading in.

It really depends upon what it's being used for.  It'd be a great microcontroller for a DIY drone, for example.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 09:33:31 PM

Thats kind of the direction I'm heading in.

It really depends upon what it's being used for.  It'd be a great microcontroller for a DIY drone, for example.

The Samsung Intercept was one of the first android phones to include an On-the-go USB chip, even though the official specs don't mention that it exists.  With 4.0, I can use it, but have never really done anything with it, other than to verify that it's possible.  It never seemed to be accessible with 2.3, even rooted.  However, the Samsung Intercept does not support power supply from the phone, so you'd need a power injector in order to use OTG-USB for anything that I can imagine that you'd likely use it for, otherwise all I'd need to connect my phone to a huge USB drive is a male-micro-usb to female-standard-usb cable.

EDIT:  Keep in mind, that on any android cell phone, even making normal phone calls is an 'app' that has little in the way of hardware acceleration.  My wife's cell phone, which is just a regular cell phone that can also text, makes a much better phone; but smartphones are pocket computers that can also make cell calls.  The act of actually making a phone call is relatively demanding for the Samsung Intercept, but many other things that my wife's phone can't do are trivial for it (mp3's, youtube videos, photos, capturing video, etc.)  The Samsung Intercept also isn't up to the demand of a lot of android games, as the original Angry Birds was barely playable, and Fruit Ninja had a perceptable touch lag.  This is one reason that I'm still looking for one for my daughter, as she can use it with wifi as a combo mp3 player, camera, ICQ text device, etc. without costing a great deal, and there are some games that it can play without much lag.

abracadabra

Activity: 956
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 11:05:37 PM

I need an android phone that is completed unlocked and allows root access. This is a project I'm working on so the cheaper I can get one the better but it'd be nice if it was Android 4.0 and was in good condition.

Thanks guys!

I have a used Samsung Dart complete with box and all accessories.  It's been in a case and screen protector since new.
I'm sure I could root it for you.  It appears that it will run ICS, although I'm not sure what's on it now.

$50 shipped to 48 CONUS.
I also have a new one if you want for $80 shipped.
AndrewK (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 10:46:25 PM
Last edit: February 21, 2013, 03:20:32 PM by AndrewK

Looking for atleast one more phone. This one needs to be android 4.0 or higher,  and I would like it to be current (product launched within the last year or two).

Thanks,

antares

Activity: 518

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 01:42:56 AM

have a motorola defy here. While stock rom doesnt allow Android 4.0, its currently flashed with CM9(Android 4.0) and I can flash CM11 on demand.
Since its a CM'd phone, its obviously rooted. Battery is good, and it has the Baseband changer installed(the phone was sold in the EU, but with a changed baseband it works on US 3G networks[tested with AT&T]) as well.
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 04:44:47 AM

Antares, if AndrewK doesn't want that motorola, what were you asking for it? I need an android device as well. Cellular band doesn't matter, its for a friend who wants GPS only.
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 09:30:16 AM

I need an android phone that is completed unlocked and allows root access.

Oh!  That kinda 'rooted'.

In Australia "WTB: Rooted Android phone" = Please gimmie a phone that's fucked and no longer works properly.

Cool

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 10:02:13 AM

Id buy a no name Chinese phone. ive bought a few over the past years, and they are generally really pretty nice and they are almost always prerooted (and if not, easily rootable if its using a MTK chip). Something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smart-Phone-Android-4-0-Dual-Core-3G-GPS-4-7-Inch-F9300-MTK6577-B-/330829671572?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item4d06fc2c94

Only a fraction of the price an S3 and not so much worse.
PTseller
Legendary

Activity: 1148

I ❤ www.LuckyB.it!

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 12:17:20 PM

Dear AndrewK

why don't you buy a android phone and root yourself its kinda very easy to root a phone. There are many tutorials on net search on google you will get 100 of tutorials !!

AndrewK (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 03:19:38 PM

Rooting is not really the problem. Just need an android phone that can be rooted. Changed the op

FreeMark

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 02:54:03 AM

I possibly have an old HTC Hero, I can check tomorrow.  Let me know if that fits the bill.  Was on the sprint network, clean esn.  I believe I rooted it.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: