Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 11:53:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Yet another Coin Control Release [CLOSED]  (Read 47429 times)
loquitus_of_borg

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 04:06:29 AM

How do I use the command-line client?

I am not asking how to use it in general -- I have been using the standard bitcoind command line client (bitcoind) for a while. I am trying to figure out how to use this one to one key thing... send many from a specific bitcoind ADDRESS (not account) to one or more addresses, each with varying amounts, and as a bonus, specify the change to a certain address.

I thought this was the point of this release, right? What am I missing here? I need to use the command line interface.
Luke-Jr
Legendary
expert

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 05:56:51 AM

The point is to let you micromanage what coins (UTXO entries) you consume in a given transaction.
There is no such thing as a "from address".

loquitus_of_borg

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 08:46:56 AM

Well I am trying to control what coins are being consumed in a given transaction... as in which unspent inputs... but how would I do this?

The point is to let you micromanage what coins (UTXO entries) you consume in a given transaction.
K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 11:02:57 AM

Well I am trying to control what coins are being consumed in a given transaction... as in which unspent inputs... but how would I do this?

by selecting the outputs you want to use...

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
loquitus_of_borg

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 09:58:35 PM

Correction. But yes. I want to choose which of the unspent transaction outputs to "consume" in a new outgoing transaction.

On another note, electrum has a payto command (and a paytomany) that allows you to specify the from address. I am assuming this is essentially doing what I am talking about here, right?

by selecting the outputs you want to use...
Luke-Jr
Legendary
expert

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 10:44:36 PM

On another note, electrum has a payto command (and a paytomany) that allows you to specify the from address. I am assuming this is essentially doing what I am talking about here, right?
This is a bug. There is no from address.

loquitus_of_borg

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 11:05:59 PM

electrum help payto
Create and broadcast a transaction.
Syntax: payto <recipient> <amount> [label]
<recipient> can be a bitcoin address or a label
options:
 --fee, -f: set transaction fee
 --fromaddr, -F: send from address -
 --changeaddr, -c: send change to address

Are you saying that the "feature" where I specify the fromaddr above is misnamed, or something else? I assumed that by specifying the from addr, it simply would only use unspent transaction outputs that were going to that specified address, as the inputs for the new outgoing transaction.

Is this incorrect?

Luke-Jr
Legendary
expert

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 11:08:28 PM

electrum help payto
options:

Are you saying that the "feature" where I specify the fromaddr above is misnamed, or something else? I assumed that by specifying the from addr, it simply would only use unspent transaction outputs that were going to that specified address, as the inputs for the new outgoing transaction.

Is this incorrect?
It's not a feature, it's a bug. There is no use case for selecting UTXO entries based on the transaction they were created by.

loquitus_of_borg

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 01:04:33 AM

Hmm.

So what does this in fact do? I realize you said it is a bug. From how I saw it when I used it, I specified the "from" address to source funds from, and the resulting new transaction showed that unspent outputs to that from address ALONE were used to source the new transaction. Maybe I am just missing something fundamental here.

electrum help payto
options:

Is this incorrect?
It's not a feature, it's a bug. There is no use case for selecting UTXO entries based on the transaction they were created by.
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 01:12:41 AM

Doesn't look like a bug to me.

Using all of (and ONLY) what's at one address in each transaction is by far the best way to prevent people from being able to infer that UTXO 1 and UTXO 2 are held by the same wallet (which is you).  Meaning they can't link you to other transactions besides those that created UTXOs having that address.  Which were already linked, if you dealt with someone who was such an idiot as to pay more than once to the same address.

So, yes, I have a use case for "micromanagement" of the from addresses.  It's called privacy.  Coin control ought to have a setting that lets me make it automatic, or at least warns me if I can't make a transaction that follows that rule and lets me *PICK* which UTXOs I don't mind someone linking.
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 01:35:20 AM

electrum help payto
options:

Is this incorrect?

Call it a feature that you find useless then. That's all but the definition of a bug.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2013, 03:44:11 AM

Call it a feature that you find useless then. That's all but the definition of a bug.

I would have to agree that Luke-Jr seems to be a bit confused about what a "bug" is.

Perhaps he is just getting a bit overzealous about his dislike of this "feature".  Wink

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
loquitus_of_borg

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 05:59:54 AM

Frankly it seems to work as advertised. That's why I am puzzled why it is being called a bug.

Bugs are supposed to be behaviour that do not reflect what is expected behaviour.

I would have to agree that Luke-Jr seems to be a bit confused about what a "bug" is.

Perhaps he is just getting a bit overzealous about his dislike of this "feature".  Wink

0x00ff

Activity: 56

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 02:10:55 PM

I just tried out CoinControl build from the OP. The thing that I noticed was that it downloaded? and checked the whole chain again. This tool very long. But the GUI now makes sense to anyone, what Bitcoin-QT did not. 20 BTC in there, 1 spent, 0 remaining.

I think in sense of acceptance the CoinControl stuff should get into the 'official' release ASAP.

One question is still open for me, however: the CC stuff uses the 100 addesses generated when the wallet was created, right? Will it - when the 100 addresses for change are used - generate 100 new ones or one-by-one with any transaction? So, I unsure about the backup strategy for the wallet...
Luke-Jr
Legendary
expert

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 02:19:53 PM

I think in sense of acceptance the CoinControl stuff should get into the 'official' release ASAP.
It is already merged into what will become 0.9.

One question is still open for me, however: the CC stuff uses the 100 addesses generated when the wallet was created, right? Will it - when the 100 addresses for change are used - generate 100 new ones or one-by-one with any transaction? So, I unsure about the backup strategy for the wallet...
Bitcoin-Qt will create a new address every transaction, to ensure you always have 100 unused.
So I recommend backing up every 90 transactions.
Note this is entirely unrelated to coincontrol...

CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2013, 02:21:58 PM

It is already merged into what will become 0.9.

Well that is something I think we can all agree will be a great additional feature for bitcoin-qt!

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4657

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 02:46:08 PM

Bitcoin-Qt will create a new address every transaction, to ensure you always have 100 unused.
So I recommend backing up every 90 transactions.
Note this is entirely unrelated to coincontrol...

It is a good idea to have multiple backups created at different times, just in case something happens that makes your most recent backup unusable.

I generally recommend keeping an approximate count of addresses generated with the "New Address" button, and of transactions sent.

Create a new backup when the sum of those two counts is about 25, and store the 3 most recent backups in different locations (in case of fire, flood, tornado, earthquake, etc).

That way you'll always have 3 backups that can be used to recover the entire balance of your wallet.
0x00ff

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 03:05:50 PM

I think I'm paranoid. I create 3 backups of my wallet.dat prior to every start of the app - so actually on a daily basis. These files are than backed up to a second HDD in my laptop and both HDDs will be synced to an external drive from time to time. I have about 3 (per backup un) x 400 files x 3 HDDs.
K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 03:54:44 PM

I think I'm paranoid. I create 3 backups of my wallet.dat prior to every start of the app - so actually on a daily basis. These files are than backed up to a second HDD in my laptop and both HDDs will be synced to an external drive from time to time. I have about 3 (per backup un) x 400 files x 3 HDDs.
just use git then Wink

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
0x00ff

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 04:18:19 PM

Well, I could give it a try to keep my backups in there, sure....
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: