Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:14:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoins seem lost  (Read 1402 times)
4net (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 02:33:06 PM

Good Day,

I was trying to send myself some coins to a different wallet.  Both of the transactions were from and to blockchain addresses.  I created a new address in my wallet and sent the coins from the other wallet.

Now, when I look at the wallet that I sent them to the address it had generated is not listed in my addresses and the funds have not come through.  When I look at the address I sent them to the transaction has gone through.

I am a little new to using bitcoin and I believe the new address I created in my wallet said "not synced".  I checked this on blockchain and it just said that no transactions had occured on the address so I thought it was fine to use.  I am waiting on a response from Blockchain but have not heard back.

Have I just lost my money into the ether?

Pleas help...Why would it generate an address that I was able to copy and use but now that address does not exist in my list?

Thanks,

Mito

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 02:40:35 PM

Good Day,

I was trying to send myself some coins to a different wallet.  Both of the transactions were from and to blockchain addresses.  I created a new address in my wallet and sent the coins from the other wallet.

Now, when I look at the wallet that I sent them to the address it had generated is not listed in my addresses and the funds have not come through.  When I look at the address I sent them to the transaction has gone through.

I am a little new to using bitcoin and I believe the new address I created in my wallet said "not synced".  I checked this on blockchain and it just said that no transactions had occured on the address so I thought it was fine to use.  I am waiting on a response from Blockchain but have not heard back.

Have I just lost my money into the ether?

Pleas help...Why would it generate an address that I was able to copy and use but now that address does not exist in my list?

Thanks,

Mito

you will have to wait till the blockchain syncs before you will be able to see the transaction. Alternatively you could probably just export the private key from your client and upload it on something like a blockchain.info ewallet. If you are in a hurry.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 02:45:42 PM

Try to run the client with the -reindex flag and see if the coins show up.
But only do that if the (out of sync) warning is not there. If it's still there you need to finish the syncing and catch up the block where the transaction was included before you see your coins.
4net (OP)

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 03:03:07 PM

Thank you for the swift reply!

So even though the address blockchain generated for me initially does not show in my wallet that was receiving the coins it is still somehow invisibly associated with that wallet?  When I look at the list of addresses in that wallet the one I used to send to is not there.  I would think it would at least still be listed even if it wasn't synced.

I still have the info for the transaction and the address I sent the coins to.  Would it be helpful to post it on here for someone more knowledgeable to check the transaction history?

The first wallet shows the transaction went through quickly and did deduct the .0005% or whatever the pecentage is to insure quick delivery.

So you're saying I shouldn't worry to much?  It was 17 coins which isn't chump change to me.

to psy:  The address it generated isn't even showing in my addresses...with or without the not synced warning.  It's like it never existed; yet, I was able to send to it from my other wallet.

Thanks!

by the way this transaction was made around 12 hrs ago. I'm not as versed with how often syncing occurs etc. but every other time I have done this the coins were recieved almost immidiately.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 03:15:34 PM

Something isn't adding up here.  Are you using https://blockchain.info/wallet or are you using the Bitcoin-Qt wallet installed on your computer?

. . . Both of the transactions were from and to blockchain addresses . . . the new address I created in my wallet said "not synced" . . . I am waiting on a response from Blockchain . . .

. . . the address blockchain generated for me  . . . it wasn't synced . . .
4net (OP)

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 03:38:42 PM

I used https://blockchain.info/wallet in a browser. I logged into my wallet, went to recieve funds, had it generate a new address for me.  That address had a little "not synced" or something to that effect next to it so I clicked on the address.  A new blockchain window opened and it just gave me the details of that address and that no transactions had ever occured on it.

I figured it was ok so I copied that address and went to my other wallet and pasted into the send funds and sent the 17 coins.  If you look at the history of that wallet the coins went down the chain and seem delivered.

When I go to the wallet that generated the address the funds are not there and that address does not even show up in my list of addresses.  The address is: 1Krqph1oj3XbaGHkKtTJi9SxcC3k3qFWBk.  That is what it generated for me but is not showing in the list of addresses.  I created a couple others(after realizing that address was not in my list) just to see if it would and they were created and if I check the other new addresses I created are there but the one I sent the funds to is still not on the list.

One thing I should note is that it didn't ask for me to give the new address a "nick name" like it did for the addresses I created to test making a new address.

Thanks
4net (OP)

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 03:40:33 PM

I sent a support e-mail to blockchain...that is the response I am waiting on.  They have not gotten back to me.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 03:49:01 PM

I used https://blockchain.info/wallet in a browser . . . That address had a little "not synced" or something to that effect next to it so I clicked on the address . . .
Unfortunately, I believe that message was telling you that the address that you had just created in your browser had not yet "synced" from your browser to blockchain.info's servers.  This most likely means that they have no record of the address (and more importantly its private key) in the database for your wallet.  Therefore any bitcoins sent to that address are most likely gone forever.

You can try sending a PM to puik. He's the local blockchain.info expert, but I wouldn't get my hopes up about recovering those funds.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=17928
piuk

Activity: 910
Merit: 1005

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2013, 04:13:06 PM

I used https://blockchain.info/wallet in a browser. I logged into my wallet, went to recieve funds, had it generate a new address for me.  That address had a little "not synced" or something to that effect next to it so I clicked on the address.  

The Not synced red warning label means the address has not been properly saved on our servers and will be lost after logout.

The wallet may however still be saved in your browser. On the login page click the "Download Backup" button and depending on your browser a window will popup containing some text or a file will download. Importing that into https://blockchain.info/wallet/import-wallet may restore the missing address. However if the address is not contained within that local copy then unfortunately the BTC is lost.

4net (OP)

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 04:34:25 PM

So, even if we know this address is bogus and I have the transaction info from my wallet that I sent it from the coins can not be recovered?  It seems like that means there will be 17 BC just sitting randomly in an address that belongs to no one.  Why can this not be recovered, especially if I know it was supposed to be my address?

I don't think my browser was saving any history. I'm guessing I will not be able to recover this downloadable "backup"?

Why would blockchain show an address when it is not synced and not let the user(especially if they are new and unfamiliar with the ins and outs of bitcoin wallets etc.) know it's a dead address?

I can't believe $500 can just be lost to the ether like this with nothing to do about it.

Thanks for the info by the way especially when it looks like I have just burnt $500!  How often does this kind of thing happen and why is there no warning or something?

Uuugh!
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 04:46:57 PM

So, even if we know this address is bogus and I have the transaction info from my wallet that I sent it from the coins can not be recovered?

Unless you have the private key cached in your borwser, no it can't be recovered.

It seems like that means there will be 17 BC just sitting randomly in an address that belongs to no one.

This is exactly what it means.

Why can this not be recovered, especially if I know it was supposed to be my address?

Because nobody has the private key for the address.

I don't think my browser was saving any history. I'm guessing I will not be able to recover this downloadable "backup"?

Did you try?  "guessing" that you will not be able to recover this downloadable "backup" sounds like a good way to lose the coins for sure.

Why would blockchain show an address when it is not synced and not let the user(especially if they are new and unfamiliar with the ins and outs of bitcoin wallets etc.) know it's a dead address?
It isn't a dead address at that time. It is just an address that your browser has created, but not yet stored (synced) on the blockchain.info database.

I can't believe $500 can just be lost to the ether like this with nothing to do about it.
People have lost much more.  Some of them because they didn't know what they were doing. Others who knew exactly what they were doing, but then made a dumb mistake.  With bitcoin you are the only one in control of your money.  There is no bank or credit card company to replace your funds for you.  You have to take responsibility for your money and make sure you don't do something that you aren't sure about.  Making guesses or assumptions when you aren't certain is likely to lead to loss.

How often does this kind of thing happen and why is there no warning or something?
There was a warning.  You were told that it was not synced.  This kind of thing happens occasionally.  More often than I'd like, but not more often than I'd expect.
JordanL
Donator

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 04:49:32 PM

Ouch, that sucks mate. I've seen the did not sync message when creating new address through a blockchain.info wallet a few times, as already explained here they are lost the next time you log in. Thankfully for me I am no longer new to this, so I always log out and in again to double check new address when using a blockchain wallet.

Perhaps there should be a warning on the receive money page that warns about this, I'm not surprised that a newer user would lose coins this way.
piuk

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2013, 04:52:37 PM

So, even if we know this address is bogus and I have the transaction info from my wallet that I sent it from the coins can not be recovered?  It seems like that means there will be 17 BC just sitting randomly in an address that belongs to no one.  Why can this not be recovered, especially if I know it was supposed to be my address?

Without the private key to the address it is impossible for anyone to recover the coins (even with all the transaction details). The coins are essentially destroyed.

The address is shown because wallets can be used in an offline mode for generating paper wallets etc. Several warnings are shown:

However I do accept the warnings could be made clearer and they will be in future.

4net (OP)

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 05:04:33 PM

I did see the not synced but do not recall the other message you posted(being new I didn't think the not synced was a big deal).  Why can coins not be recovered if the address is know and it's known that the address is apparently not associated with any wallet even though I know it is my coin and my address?

By the way I was able to go to blockchain and they had sent me a reply.  I thought it would have gone to my e-mail.  The info they gave me did not help at all.  I submitted a different support requests and will see how that goes.

Thanks.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 05:11:35 PM

Why can coins not be recovered if the address is know and it's known that the address is apparently not associated with any wallet even though I know it is my coin and my address?
Because this is how bitcoin is designed to work.  blockchain.info doesn't have your bitcoins, so they can't give them to you.  You sent your bitcoins to an address that nobody has the private key to.  Since nobody has the private key, nobody can send the bitcoins back to you.
piuk

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2013, 05:13:43 PM

By the way I was able to go to blockchain and they had sent me a reply.  I thought it would have gone to my e-mail.  The info they gave me did not help at all.  I submitted a different support requests and will see how that goes.

Support will not help and I believe it was me that responded anyway. Please generate a new bitcoin address (be sure it synced properly, no warnings) and post or PM me it.

4net (OP)

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 05:28:33 PM

This is one of the other addresses I generated that seems to have all in order from the same wallet I was trying send my coins to: 1MHYk2rPAC5Ewm9uEUFFRLcEh6L5weJrU3

I really appreciate the swift responses you have been giving me.

Thanks again!
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 05:31:56 PM

. . . Please generate a new bitcoin address (be sure it synced properly, no warnings) and post or PM me it.
I can see where this is headed, and I've got to say piuk, you are one stand-up guy.  Ever since the dust-up with the guy from MemoryDealers I've been aware that your focus on customer service and going out of your way to do what is "right" even when it isn't "necessary" makes you a role model in this community.  If more businesses were run the way you choose to run your businesses, the world would be a much better place.
piuk

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2013, 05:39:27 PM

This is one of the other addresses I generated that seems to have all in order from the same wallet I was trying send my coins to: 1MHYk2rPAC5Ewm9uEUFFRLcEh6L5weJrU3

I have sent 5 BTC to the new address. I know this isn't the full amount but I hope it is a least some consolation.

I can see where this is headed, and I've got to say piuk, you are one stand-up guy.  Ever since the dust-up with the guy from MemoryDealers I've been aware that your focus on customer service and going out of your way to do what is "right" even when it isn't "necessary" makes you a role model in this community.  If more businesses were run the way you choose to run your businesses, the world would be a much better place.

Thanks Danny.

Tas

Activity: 30

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 05:45:14 PM

The arrogance of some people in these forums is unbelievable. A newbie loses $500 and he is blamed for being dumb and irresponsible. Unf*ckingbelievable.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: