Bitcoin Forum
May 20, 2024, 10:48:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Why do you buy bitcoin?
The price doubled in a month and quadrupled in a year, it will rise at least 10x - 10 (12.3%)
It is a digital fashion/hobby - 3 (3.7%)
FED is printing like crazy, I prefer honest money - 19 (23.5%)
It is part of my investment portfolio and strategy - 29 (35.8%)
I use BTC to buy drugs - 7 (8.6%)
Easier to send money to another country - 4 (4.9%)
As a gift to children - 2 (2.5%)
I already missed the best buy chance! - 7 (8.6%)
Total Voters: 81

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do you buy bitcoin?  (Read 1163 times)
johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 09:39:58 PM

If there are any other reasons, please post them here

deadweasel

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 09:46:44 PM

If there are any other reasons, please post them here

Other than what?

I buy because I hope to be part of freeing money from governments.  I also buy because I hope to make 10x on my money by speculating on a possible future currency.  

zoinky

Activity: 811
Merit: 1000

Web Developer

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 09:48:09 PM

Hobby.
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 09:50:50 PM

Because internet money (also the nerdiest thing deadweasel mentioned Cheesy)

I'm not really worried about da guvernmint which puts me in the minority on these forums and I think that when people make that their first talking point it actually does BTC more harm than good.

I like the idea that I'm able to send money to anyone anywhere in the world instantly without going through 5 corporate middlemen who could freeze my money at any time.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2013, 09:56:12 PM

None of the reasons I use BTC are listed.

• For idealogical reasons. (I like being in control of my own money.)
  • To send money anywhere in the world quicker and cheaper than ever before. (as mccorvic mentioned.)
  • I bought my first bitcoins for $1 each. If I had bought more, I'd be rich.

Still around.
johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 10:14:53 PM

None of the reasons I use BTC are listed.

• For idealogical reasons. (I like being in control of my own money.)
  • To send money anywhere in the world quicker and cheaper than ever before. (as mccorvic mentioned.)
  • I bought my first bitcoins for $1 each. If I had bought more, I'd be rich.

Ok, added your reasons  Smiley

vdragon

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2013, 10:50:23 PM

Seemed interesting idea at a time, it grew to a full time obsesion Cheesy

My USB Erupter GROUP BUY https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=252180.0

Hungary (south) based trader - accepting/sending bank transfers, also willing to meet in person
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2013, 12:45:35 AM

I think the blockchain technology has significant advantages over other clearinghouse technologies. This gives me long-term confidence in BTC as a currency which has nothing to do with its current price movements, or aversion to fiat, or anything like that.

Technically, I suppose this falls under the "investment" option, but saying that you're buying and holding something "because it's part of your investment portfolio" is like saying you like lasagna "because it's tasty". Not really useful information on why you think it's worth the investment to begin with.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 03:02:30 AM

What about bragging rights? To your children/friends:" I was part of the whole revolution, I saw history unfolding right in front of me, and I can sign a message to prove it." Wink

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 03:14:23 AM

For me, bitcoin presents an opportunity to escape from the strangle hold of the international banking systems.

evolve

Activity: 700

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 08:27:10 AM

To sell it for a higher price.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 08:28:46 AM

Because bitcoin is the best money.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
MadSweeney

Activity: 160
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 10:40:57 AM

I buy bitcoins partly as part of a scheme to provide alternatives to established payment and money transfer systems. To do that, I run a small exchange service and provide some liquidity to local bitcoin users.

The economy of my country is supported in a large part by remittances from overseas foreign workers, and it is in this area that bitcoin has a most obvious utility. However, I see that some local freelancers are now taking btc for payment, and I'm glad that I get to exchange their btc to pesos.

It is my hope that more local freelancers, most especially artisans, take advantage of btc as a payment method. This could also make the value of bitcoin appreciate.

jonitas

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 03:21:02 PM

Here in Brazil it's not that easy to buy gold, so instead I started to acquire bitcoin as a way to protect my savings against inflation. Now I find it to have some advantages to gold: it's much easier to transfer, you can buy and sell 24/7, no counterfeited coins, not possible to prohibit, no storage costs. Because of this i find bitcoin to be very undervalued compared to gold.
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 06:34:57 PM

does mining count?

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 10:46:52 PM
Last edit: February 16, 2013, 11:19:57 PM by marcus_of_augustus

I like the idea that I'm able to send money to anyone anywhere in the world instantly without going through 5 corporate middlemen who could freeze my money at any time.

You actually are against the guvenmint ... you just haven't connected enough dots to know it yet.

EDIT: my reason for buying bitcoins ... "It just feels right".

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: