Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 09:43:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I think Sirius (Martti Malmi) is Satoshi Nakamoto...  (Read 26674 times)
The Fool (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 02:13:07 AM

http://blog.sc5.fi/2013/02/sc5er-intro-the-bitcoin-guy/

This was posted a little more than a week ago:

It was 2009 when I was studying computer science at Helsinki University of Technology. Inspired by libertarian ideals, I came up with the idea of a decentralized Internet currency that cannot be controlled by any government or other single entity. I contacted some guy named Satoshi Nakamoto, who had drafted a technical proposal of such a system just a couple months earlier. He called it Bitcoin.

He was removed from the list of project developers on bitcoin.org in June 2011. The same time Satoshi left. He still owns the bitcoin.org and bitcointalk.org domains.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 03:15:05 AM

That partially answers the question about the early adopters holding most of the bitcoins. The original programmer cashed out in 2011. That still does not prove he is Satoshi Nakamoto, but he probably knows who he is.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 03:27:36 AM

Besides my work, dancing latino dances 5 days a week and playing competitive Counter-Strike with friends, I’m trying to find some time to develop my next open source project: uncensorable P2P identity and reputation database. Hopefully you’ll hear more about that later.

Even if he isn't Satoshi, I hope he takes the time and develops this idea. It fits with where the tendency of P2P appears to be going.
Liquid

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

Crypto Somnium

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 03:44:36 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=4

Martti Malmi (aka Sirius), a student of Aalto University in Finland, was one of the core developers early on in the project. Satoshi attributed some of the new features of version 0.2 to him here and he was the one making the first commits to the Sourceforge repository back in August 2009. He was removed from the list of project developers on bitcoin.org in June 2011.

As Andrew points out in his answer, both bitcoin.org and bitcointalk.org is owned by Martti. He is the administrator of the bitcointalk.org forums, still active there, and could most likely be contacted using the PM feature on the forums. Both Martti and Gavin Andresen (lead developer) have access to the bitcoin.org website.

Source

Bitcoin will show the world what hard money really is.
The Fool (OP)

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 03:48:35 AM

That partially answers the question about the early adopters holding most of the bitcoins. The original programmer cashed out in 2011. That still does not prove he is Satoshi Nakamoto, but he probably knows who he is.

Another lead:

Investigations into the real identity of Satoshi Nakamoto have been attempted by The New Yorker and Fast Company. Fast Company's investigation brought up circumstantial evidence that indicated a link between a encryption patent filed by Neal King, Vladimir Oksman and Charles Bry on August 15, 2008 and the bitcoin.org domain name which was registered 72 hours later. The patent (#20100042841) contained networking and encryption technologies similar to bitcoin's. After textual analysis, the phrase "...computationally impractical to reverse." was found in both the patent application and bitcoin's whitepaper.[1] All three inventors explicitly denied being Satoshi Nakamoto.[17][18]...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5138
Merit: 12565

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 04:00:19 AM

I was here for much of the time period that you're talking about, and I'd be very surprised if Sirius is Satoshi. Satoshi would have had to have gone to ridiculous lengths to create such a natural alt identity.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
ciphermonk

Activity: 50

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 05:00:41 AM

Another lead:

Investigations into the real identity of Satoshi Nakamoto have been attempted by The New Yorker and Fast Company. Fast Company's investigation brought up circumstantial evidence that indicated a link between a encryption patent filed by Neal King, Vladimir Oksman and Charles Bry on August 15, 2008 and the bitcoin.org domain name which was registered 72 hours later. The patent (#20100042841) contained networking and encryption technologies similar to bitcoin's. After textual analysis, the phrase "...computationally impractical to reverse." was found in both the patent application and bitcoin's whitepaper.[1] All three inventors explicitly denied being Satoshi Nakamoto.[17][18]...

I skimmed quickly through the patents filed by these gentlemen and I have yet to see one that somehow relates to bitcoin. Journalists are quick to arrive to the conclusion: "It sounds technical so it must be related to Bitcoin!" Maybe I'm wrong and didn't look close enough.
The Fool (OP)

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 05:05:24 AM

Another lead:

I skimmed quickly through the patents filed by these gentlemen and I have yet to see one that somehow relates to bitcoin. Journalists are quick to arrive to the conclusion: "It sounds technical so it must be related to Bitcoin!" Maybe I'm wrong and didn't look close enough.

It's definitely a public key, private key transfer system they are describing.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 01:06:59 PM

I guess at some point it might be a good idea to verify that all of these people are alive and well and not, you know, in Gitmo.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 01:09:30 PM

I guess at some point it might be a good idea to verify that all of these people are alive and well and not, you know, in Gitmo.
Oh, they are probably building a special rendition camp for bitcoiners.  Grin

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2347

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 01:43:24 PM

In the first protocol, every participant maintains a (separate) database
of how much money belongs to each pseudonym. These accounts collectively
define the ownership of money, and how these accounts are updated is the
subject of this protocol.

1. The creation of money. Anyone can create money by broadcasting the
solution to a previously unsolved computational problem. The only
conditions are that it must be easy to determine how much computing effort
it took to solve the problem and the solution must otherwise have no
value, either practical or intellectual. The number of monetary units
created is equal to the cost of the computing effort in terms of a
standard basket of commodities. For example if a problem takes 100 hours
to solve on the computer that solves it most economically, and it takes 3
standard baskets to purchase 100 hours of computing time on that computer
on the open market, then upon the broadcast of the solution to that
problem everyone credits the broadcaster's account by 3 units.

2. The transfer of money. If Alice (owner of pseudonym K_A) wishes to
transfer X units of money to Bob (owner of pseudonym K_B), she broadcasts
the message "I give X units of money to K_B" signed by K_A. Upon the
broadcast of this message, everyone debits K_A's account by X units and
credits K_B's account by X units, unless this would create a negative
balance in K_A's account in which case the message is ignored.

Wei Dai "b-money"-1998

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 01:43:42 PM

Who invented sha256 is satoshi!

Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2013, 02:03:28 PM

I highly doubt that Sirius is Satoshi. I know Martti personally and I've talked to him many times, and my impression is that he is not Satoshi and he also doesn't know who Satoshi is. My opinion is that with a 95% certainty it's not him. I've also met Vili Lehdonvirta whom has also been suspected of being Satoshi, and for him I can say with a 100% certainty that he is not Satoshi.

Personally I think that Satoshi is either someone from Trinity College in Ireland or a group of people from there. That is the most plausible lead I've seen on the hunt for Satoshi. I could be wrong though.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 04:20:30 PM

I highly doubt that Sirius is Satoshi. I know Martti personally and I've talked to him many times, and my impression is that he is not Satoshi and he also doesn't know who Satoshi is. My opinion is that with a 95% certainty it's not him. I've also met Vili Lehdonvirta whom has also been suspected of being Satoshi, and for him I can say with a 100% certainty that he is not Satoshi.

Personally I think that Satoshi is either someone from Trinity College in Ireland or a group of people from there. That is the most plausible lead I've seen on the hunt for Satoshi. I could be wrong though.

People suggests everything from a group of people to individual as "most likely".

Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 06:55:04 PM

Somehow, knowing who Satoshi is would take a lot of the coolness factor away from Bitcoin.  I'd be willing to bet that he was one of the participants on the original cypherpunks mailing list.  Given the efforts that many of us went through to remain anonymous even back then (anyone remember anon.penet.fi or Freedom.net?), I doubt that knowing this would help anyone identify him.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 08:02:10 PM

Be prepared to be asked to participate in a documentary by the Discovery Channel/The history Channel in 10-20 years time in which they search for the real Satoshi and come up with all sorts of conspiracy theories. It will be like the JFK documentaries and non-one will know for sure.

Oh and at some point the history channel will imply you said it could be aliens Tongue
hahahafr

Activity: 938
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 12:56:58 AM

Satoshi Nakamoto is not one person. It's the group of people that gave birth to this Bitcoin idea.

◢◣                      ◢◣
                                     ◢████◣           ◢████◣
                               ◢████████◣◢████████◣
                               █████████████████
                               █████████████████
                               █████████████████
                               █████████████◤██████
                               ███████████◤████████
                               █████████◤██████████
                               ███████◤████████████
                               █████◤██████████████
                               █████◣                       ◢█████
                               ███████◣            ◢███████
                               █████████◣◢█████████
                               ◥████████◤◥████████◤
                                    ◥████◤            ◥████◤
                                          ◥◤                      

HYDAX
       Secure  
   Efficient
   Simple  
   Medium 
    Twitter  
    Telegram 
[/center
axus

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 05:18:48 AM

If it's not the 3 guys who wrote the paper, it's Bram Cohen.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 09:29:15 AM

If it's not the 3 guys who wrote the paper, it's Bram Cohen.

Bram Cohen doesn't like bitcoin.

jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 06:09:17 PM

heh, no.

Sirius is one of the first bitcoin users/developers besides Satoshi.

He is still occasionally logs into the forums, and I just transferred full control of bitcointalk.org domain over to him last week.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: