Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:17:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Technical analysis is total bunk.  (Read 8109 times)
stillfire

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 09:56:02 PM

so good on you. you made a correct prediction, yourself! after the triangle you called trend continuation. keep up the good analysis, whatever techniques you're using Smiley

So the score is 2 correct for arepo and 1 for tripper22?

Lost your wallet password? Try Stillfire's Password Recovery Service.
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nrd525
Legendary

Activity: 1867
Merit: 1023

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 09:22:53 PM

Are there any studies that prove that technical analysis works?

There are a small number of traders that make money trading.  However, the smaller this number gets - the more likely it is due to luck.  If you have 1/32 or more of traders making money in a zero-sum (or negative sum after the fees) market for five years in a row - then that would be evidence that analysis can work.

Whether or not I believe in technical analysis, there are other people who do and it will affect their actions and thus affect the market.  Now where it gets tricky is that you don't know what indicators people are following, so I stick to fundamentals (aka value).

Digital Gold for Gamblers and True Believers
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 09:43:27 PM

There are a small number of traders that make money trading.  However, the smaller this number gets - the more likely it is due to luck.  If you have 1/32 or more of traders making money in a zero-sum (or negative sum after the fees) market for five years in a row - then that would be evidence that analysis can work.

Whether or not I believe in technical analysis, there are other people who do and it will affect their actions and thus affect the market.  Now where it gets tricky is that you don't know what indicators people are following, so I stick to fundamentals (aka value).

Even in that case, it's well within the realm of possibility. Try getting a hold of Leonard Mlodinow's book " The Drunkard's Walk, How Randomness Affects Our Lives". There's an entire chapter devoted to day traders/TA people... and it's bunk  Grin
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 11:57:23 PM

Even in that case, it's well within the realm of possibility. Try getting a hold of Leonard Mlodinow's book " The Drunkard's Walk, How Randomness Affects Our Lives". There's an entire chapter devoted to day traders/TA people... and it's bunk  Grin

There is money to be made in market making, but large risk as well.  TA can help identify when to step out of the way.  Additionally, it is much easier to do market making in code than manually.  But the TA can tell me when to turn my not off.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
arepo

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

this statement is false

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 12:26:22 AM

there are many cases against it. but the trick is that one has to prove the absence of time-correlations in price data. proving a negative is notoriously difficult.

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
18N9md2G1oA89kdBuiyJFrtJShuL5iDWDz
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: