Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 07:06:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt.Gox trading fees: is a revision due?  (Read 2870 times)
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 06:57:50 PM

The whole point is that percentage based fee system introduces complications... Nothing wrong with a fixed% if you only go to the exchanges to buy or sell something and than leave. But in terms of trading, fixed% is not suitable for our super volatile market  Wink

Thank you very much for the spreadsheet and your image Sir, what would in your opinion be the best fee structure for super volatile markets ? I have no experience with normal stock markets, so don't have any experience with that.
robocoin (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 07:56:43 PM

The whole point is that percentage based fee system introduces complications... Nothing wrong with a fixed% if you only go to the exchanges to buy or sell something and than leave. But in terms of trading, fixed% is not suitable for our super volatile market  Wink

Thank you very much for the spreadsheet and your image Sir, what would in your opinion be the best fee structure for super volatile markets ? I have no experience with normal stock markets, so don't have any experience with that.

Me neither! I am not an experienced trader at all. I was curious about the fee system since I was able to successfully catch the spread/ little volatility in the $9-$15 range with my 0.4% fee. But now at $50/BTC a 40 cent spread won't help me. I can't prove this right now, but I think generally the spread at MTG gets bigger and bigger.

This blog blog writing explains pretty much whats neccessary:
I came across this blog post that explains how major exchanges set their fee schedules to promote liquidity:

http://blog.bitcointitan.com/post/25759461251/maximizing-liquidity-through-the-make-or-take-model

I need some time to take a serious look at Bitfinex and leran more about technicals, if I plan to play this game. And I'll give Bitstamp a try with my next deposit Smiley
epetroel

Activity: 431
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 02:22:26 PM

I think the fees schedule would benefit from a revision, but given Mt.Gox's market dominance

BFX used to account for 10-15% of all MtGox trades (seriously). BFX just got Bitstamp (BSTP) routing in addition to MtGox. MtGox instantly lost a large percentage of their volume. These are the fees charged at BFX at the moment:

BFX trades: 0.1%
BSTP trades: 0.25%
MtGox trades: 0.5%

I can choose where to route my orders where I enter them, and selling or buying at BSTP makes more sense in many cases. If there's a bid at $138 at both BSTP and MtGox then I'm obviously going to sell the BSTP bid since that costs me half of what it costs me to sell at MtGox. This applies even more so if there's a BFX order I can meet.

In short: MtGox may have to lower their fees eventually or they will loose volume.

At the very least Gox needs to adjust their fees to be based on USD volume rather than BTC volume.  A year or so ago when coins were $10 or so I was in the 0.30% trading bracket.  Now I trade far more than I did then, but I'm struggling to stay in the 0.40% bracket.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: