Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 12:57:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [GNU/Linux] Blockchain from external drive  (Read 1110 times)
grantbdev (OP)

Activity: 292
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 03:41:49 AM

Hi, I tried to do a search on the forum and didn't find anything. I found this on the wiki but I need some specific confirmation: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Securing_your_wallet#Linux_2

Bitcoin-qt has become unusable for me because the blockchain will soon exceed the free space on my laptop's small SSD. I have Bitcoin installed from the PPA, so I don't think I can exactly move all of my bitcoin client to the drive. However, if I run this command on GNU/Linux:

Code:
bitcoin-qt -datadir=./[Directory_Name]

1. Will my Bitcoin-qt client permanently refer to the specified location for the blockchain? (aka, I don't need the parameter for every run)
2. What would be the specific location parameters needed to reach a desired folder in my external drive? (preferably absolute, because I don't know from where it would be relative)
3. Should I transfer my entire .bitcoin folder to the external drive and refer to that directory?
4. Will (all of) this be safe to do? (in EVERY possible interpretation of the word safe)
5. Would something horribly bad happen if I started Bitcoin-qt on accident and I didn't have my external drive plugged into the laptop?

Don't use BIPS!
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Parazyd

Activity: 812
Merit: 587

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2013, 09:20:03 AM

1. No. You need to do that each time.
2. Depends where you mount it. Maybe /mnt/external/myBlkindexFolder/
3. Yes. Everything that's in that folder needs to be transfered.
4. Of course, but make a backup of your wallet at least.
5. Not at all.
grantbdev (OP)

Activity: 292
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 01:56:39 AM

1. No. You need to do that each time.
2. Depends where you mount it. Maybe /mnt/external/myBlkindexFolder/
3. Yes. Everything that's in that folder needs to be transfered.
4. Of course, but make a backup of your wallet at least.
5. Not at all.

Thank you so much! It worked perfectly. It took me about a day to catch up with the past two months, but now I'm all set for the next 150 GB of Blockchain  Cool Not sure what I'll do after that.

Don't use BIPS!
Parazyd

Activity: 812
Merit: 587

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2013, 06:13:26 AM

Have fun Smiley
I have my whole block index and my wallets in a TrueCrypt containet.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: