Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:18:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: why I sold my bitcoins....  (Read 34270 times)
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 05:49:34 PM

Bitcoins biggest selling points are its ability to be anonymous and decentralized.  Most people do not care about this.  The only services currently offered that really are served by bitcoins biggest assets are illegal ones--Gambling and Silk Road.  The current run up is 95% related to speculation that "everyone will get rich by just buying and hoarding bitcoins".  This will end like the last run up--crashing down to reality.

The fact that bitcoin is well suited for illegal activities does not make it ill-suited for legal activities, just as cash serves me just fine for my day-to-day purchases even though it is widely known that criminals prefer to be payed in cash.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dopamine

Activity: 486

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 05:51:54 PM

please sell I need more bitcoins  Grin

Bitcoinica still has not given me 50% of my claim of 600 BTC
INTERSANGO can go down with bitcoinica for abandoning customers
Alberto Armandi is a SCAMMER
Bitcopia

Activity: 715

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 08:39:00 PM

Maybe in 2022 BTC will  be $1000 or $0.00001 I don't care, because it's just play money to me. I don't live out of BTC and if you do, then you're in serious trouble!

How do you not care if bitcoin is worth $1000 or nothing? Even if you only own one, it would seem nice for that one to be worth $1000. And if that side of your maybe turns out to be the one that comes to fruition, then those living out of bitcoin will certainly be in the opposite of serious trouble.
Bitcopia

Activity: 715

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 09:30:00 PM

Sounds like a solid philosophy, and you're definitely right... don't bet more than you can afford to lose comfortably.
Domrada

Activity: 254
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2013, 09:41:06 PM

Very brave to make your decision public, OP.  I will save this thread and bump it when we hit $50. LOLOL.

DataTrading
TRADE FORECASTING BY ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
¦
PRE-SALE SPECIAL  30%  BONUS   
Pre sale starts on 11.20.2017 9:00 UTC
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2013, 12:23:59 AM

Sounds like a solid philosophy, and you're definitely right... don't bet more than you can afford to lose comfortably.

This is super common advice, I don't mean to pick on you at all.

I think it's terrible. What's wrong with taking chances, risking pain? Does this advice mean that you shouldn't hike in the wilderness or ever ride in a car? You could lose your whole life.

Besides that, whatever you do has some total risk. Leaving your wealth in the generally accepted forms just means that if you get wiped out so will everyone who might be able to help you.

Be bold, temper it with a little thought. No matter what you do you could lose everything.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 01:21:07 AM

Common contrarian advice is to sell up when others are shouting how rich they're becoming and how the market is only going to rocket further up from here.  Think back to famous past bubbles, whether it be dotcoms, housing, or bitcoin's bubble in 2011. 

Where is the peak in the current bubble?  Who knows.  Almost no one can predict it in the future and everyone always predicts it when looking back after it has burst.
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 01:40:17 AM

- "I sold my bitcoins to buy farmland"
- "I sold my bitcoins to buy gold"
- "I sold my bitcoins to start a business"
- "I sold my bitcoins because I'm worried the USG will shut down MtGox"

The above seem like logical arguments. But to sell bitcoins to buy USD is certain death. No one argues the USD is a good investment, not even the USG or Federal Reserve.

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 02:39:26 AM

This is super common advice, I don't mean to pick on you at all.

I think it's terrible. What's wrong with taking chances, risking pain? Does this advice mean that you shouldn't hike in the wilderness or ever ride in a car? You could lose your whole life.

Besides that, whatever you do has some total risk. Leaving your wealth in the generally accepted forms just means that if you get wiped out so will everyone who might be able to help you.

Be bold, temper it with a little thought. No matter what you do you could lose everything.

"Do not invest more than you can afford to lose comfortably." This common advice is really good advice. There is a multitude of reasons for that.

Admittedly, it is not the most enlightened of phrases; actually it is meaningless to an expert at statistics. Such a person will try to find an exact solution for his personal risk strategy. But as a simple phrase, spread as a meme to help people, "do not invest more than you can afford to lose comfortably" is a good choice.

There are important things people who do not heed this advice should know at the very least, but often don't.

• The Kelly Criterion helps to determine the height of wagers in probabilistic bets. An important property: betting a little less than the optimum doesn't hurt much. Betting above the optimum does.
  • To even be able to use Kelly -- and for any kind of speculation in general -- it is useful to do a self-benchmark. Know your own precision and also limits on how well you know it. Overestimating oneself is one of the biggest flaws of humans, so be careful and rigorous on your self-assessment.
  • Similarly, do not forget about any additional uncertainties from the surroundings. Expect the unexpected, not just on one market, but in personal life and everywhere else too. When going in deep, hidden risks that are normally acceptable suddenly become very relevant.
  • The personal value of wealth to any human diminishes with wealth and grows with poverty! Your last bit of money in times of need becomes more valuable than whatever was spent before.

Of course there are risks everywhere. Speculating with a notable portion of one's savings can be a good idea. But why push a lot into a single thing when a diverse strategy has much less risk?

"Don't put all eggs in one basket" is a similar wisdom. Sure, it's not universal. Some people can prove their one basket secure. But then, better be sure to never ever make a mistake.
Frequency

Activity: 540

COINDER

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2013, 09:27:40 AM

Common contrarian advice is to sell up when others are shouting how rich they're becoming and how the market is only going to rocket further up from here.  Think back to famous past bubbles, whether it be dotcoms, housing, or bitcoin's bubble in 2011. 

Where is the peak in the current bubble?  Who knows.  Almost no one can predict it in the future and everyone always predicts it when looking back after it has burst.

I must say that the current situation is very differrent then the 2011 (really emty bubbel) this new "rally" has an more solid btc economie behind it as u know we are ten steps further then in 2011..  Wink

COINDER
COINDER
stochastic

Activity: 532

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 09:39:40 AM
Last edit: February 18, 2013, 09:59:19 AM by stochastic

I sold half of my stash the first time the price doubled after I bought a bunch.  That means I have no realized loss or gain.  I am just neutral.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
goldlyre

Activity: 1101
Merit: 512

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 08:21:20 AM

BTC sold at all prices by some previous holders is a very good thing. It helps consolidation of certain price range after a significant bull run is accomplished. No sell, no bull.
flaab

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 11:25:22 AM

How the dow looked in 1950:

You could easily say everything you have said about BTC about this chart, sold everything for your perfectly logical reasons. Unfortunately the price then proceeded to do this:

Measured in dollars, that is. But the dollar has been devaluated since then a whooping 97%. The Dow measured in gold would be a more accurate measurement. Price is not value. Something can be going up in price and losing value at the same time. If you bought the Dow back then, you would almost break-even at best in purchasing power.

This is something I've been seen neglected in this forum over and over again. Bitcoin would have the same value at 60$ if the price of gold, silver, real estate, oil and so forth would have doubled during the same time. Besides, bitcoin is only internet cash, convenient and that's all. It is not money.

Disclaimer: I gold out most of my bitcoins and kept 120btc as a speculation. (Not investment)
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 04:24:54 PM

mccorvic

Activity: 518

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 05:54:09 PM

I like bears who just can't wait to tell everyone after they sold their bitcoins like it's them losing their virginities.

This is a win of a post and on point as all hell.

Also, for all bears who think $28 is over priced for bitcoin then please allow me to laugh you out of the room.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 02:09:18 AM

wiser to be left holding a bag of money than a hdd full of bitcoins. but thats why i'm starting my new business model: beer for litecoins.
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 02:17:22 AM

I sold half of my stash the first time the price doubled after I bought a bunch.  That means I have no realized loss or gain.  I am just neutral.

You can't go wrong playing with the house's money.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
miter_myles

Activity: 742

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 02:18:19 AM

wiser to be left holding a bag of money than a hdd full of bitcoins. but thats why i'm starting my new business model: beer for litecoins.

I'll beer to that..

BTC - 1D7g5395bs7idApTx1KTXrfDW7JUgzx6Z5
LTC - LVFukQnCWUimBxZuXKqTVKy1L2Jb8kZasL
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 06:38:26 PM

What's with the yoga pose?

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d