Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 06:11:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: why I sold my bitcoins....  (Read 34275 times)
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 03:40:44 PM

This post is going to hurt more every day.

+1

It's like the knife in your back twisting in slow motion, no?
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 03:45:30 PM

Odds are he'll be able to buy back, if he wants, quite a bit lower than he sold (even if he sold in the 20s).

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
phantastisch
Legendary

Activity: 2270
Merit: 1363

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 03:46:39 PM

Odds are he'll be able to buy back, if he wants, quite a bit lower than he sold (even if he sold in the 20s).

This guy is always right.

HOWEYCOINS   ▮      Excitement and         ⭐  ● TWITTER  ● FACEBOOK   ⭐       
  ▮    guaranteed returns                 ●TELEGRAM                         
  ▮  of the travel industry
    ⭐  ●Ann Thread ●Instagram   ⭐ 
✅    U.S.Sec    ➡️
✅  approved!  ➡️
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 03:46:50 PM

This post is going to hurt more every day.

+1

It's like the knife in your back twisting in slow motion, no?
So, I meant the OP, because I've never sold. But I'm guessing the OP has never bought or sold. So the only thing that will hurt is how utterly foolish his post makes him sound, if he's still around to see it getting bumped.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1227

Away on an extended break

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 03:48:09 PM

Our permabear is always here to signal another bull race.
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 03:50:17 PM

Our permabear is always here to signal another bull race.
Time to update his foolishness streak again: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=147907.0
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 03:58:54 PM

Proudhon has spoken! We will hit $200 within the hour.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 04:48:50 PM

yeah I sold. At $17. Took me till about $27 to realize I had made a huge fucking mistake and bought back in. THANK GOD I DID.

more or less retired.
mccorvic

Activity: 518

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 04:50:03 PM

yeah I sold. At $17. Took me till about $27 to realize I had made a huge fucking mistake and bought back in. THANK GOD I DID.

Everyone should remember that it's never to late to buy back in.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
Beta-coiner1

Activity: 532

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 05:26:33 PM

Individuals following this for years make mistakes like this but man 27 a long realization.

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 06:41:53 PM

Individuals following this for years make mistakes like this but man 27 a long realization.

You would think right? I must have been crazy to wait until $27 to buy back in right? This morning I sold some BTC at $48 thinking I would maybe buy a new camera (can't buy with BTC- need it now, and I'm in Italy). After lunch I check my Bitcoin Price app and it's OVER $60.

Realising one made a mistake in Bitcoin sometimes takes a matter of minutes. :-)

more or less retired.
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 08:45:40 PM

Looking back in 2015 when 1 BTC = $10k and just beginning to rise fast, this will look flat.

It won't be $10k in 2015 (if ever).

Reasoning:

1) USD won't collapse in this timescale (just yet).
2) Adoption can't explode to those levels since the network won't scale. Even if "ordinary" tx drive SatoshiDice out of the market, we hit the 1M max block size limit at 10x current tx level.

It may well be "stable" $200 to $300 in 2015, if everything goes extremely well.

If bitcoins are ever at the price level of 1 BTC = $10k, they will not be used for gambling microtransactions or small online purchases, they will be used by bankers and gangsters (can you tell the difference?) to hide and move large sums of money.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
BIGMERVE

Activity: 728

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 08:48:50 PM

If bitcoins are ever at the price level of 1 BTC = $10k, they will not be used for gambling microtransactions or small online purchases, they will be used by bankers and gangsters (can you tell the difference?) to hide and move large sums of money.

Why not both?

Peter Lambert

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 09:05:25 PM

Why not both?

Because of the limited size of blocks, there can only be so many transactions processed per block. Because of the way the transaction fee works it makes sense to send large transactions rather than small ones. This can be mitigated somewhat by increasing the maximum block size, and by lowering the threshold for requiring a fee, but as the value of one bitcoin goes up, the amount of bitcoins in a microtransaction or purchase goes down.
The fees have been lowered in the past, and if the price of bitcoins continues going up they could be lowered again, but if blocks are getting filled up then it does not make sense to lower the fee.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
BIGMERVE

Activity: 728

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 09:10:46 PM

If there are only big transactions being made there will be less transactions overall. There are far less large transactions than small transactions. Plus cutting out small transactions will hurt the majority of bitcoin users and will cause the price and demand to drop.

niko

Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 09:26:39 PM

@OP:  I am assuming you bought or mined the coins at a lower cost than what you sold them for. Good for you. Don't let Captain Hindsights here ruin the joy of profiting.

I am still holding, because - unlike you - I feel the fundamentals are mostly strong and going stronger. My coins, however, are worth nothing untill I actually spend them. Lots of confused folks around don't understand this, and can't tell what is from all the whatifs, shouldhaves, and wouldhaves.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 09:34:18 PM

Why not both?

Because of the limited size of blocks, there can only be so many transactions processed per block. Because of the way the transaction fee works it makes sense to send large transactions rather than small ones. This can be mitigated somewhat by increasing the maximum block size, and by lowering the threshold for requiring a fee, but as the value of one bitcoin goes up, the amount of bitcoins in a microtransaction or purchase goes down.
The fees have been lowered in the past, and if the price of bitcoins continues going up they could be lowered again, but if blocks are getting filled up then it does not make sense to lower the fee.
I'm quite sure there will be new services (they will not use block chain) operating on the top of Bitcoin protocol e.g. local bank (like MtGox is now .. a lot of buys/sells per minute without affecting block chain) where only 1 transaction(per day/week/month) is needed to provide clearing.
Domrada

Activity: 254
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2013, 09:37:58 PM

@OP:  I am assuming you bought or mined the coins at a lower cost than what you sold them for. Good for you. Don't let Captain Hindsights here ruin the joy of profiting.

I am still holding, because - unlike you - I feel the fundamentals are mostly strong and going stronger. My coins, however, are worth nothing untill I actually spend them. Lots of confused folks around don't understand this, and can't tell what is from all the whatifs, shouldhaves, and wouldhaves.

By this logic, people like Warren Buffet are broke and powerless, to the extent they are not actually spending their billions.

DataTrading
TRADE FORECASTING BY ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
¦
PRE-SALE SPECIAL  30%  BONUS   
Pre sale starts on 11.20.2017 9:00 UTC
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
March 19, 2013, 09:47:59 PM

Why not both?

Don't assume that all Bitcoin transactions occur on the blockchain. That is very naive. In the future, the vast majority of transactions will never touch the blockchain. They will be internal transactions between the large successful ewallets.
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 01:51:34 AM
Last edit: March 29, 2014, 12:48:51 AM by Adrian-x

I am resigning as a moderate bear and taking the position of a moderate bull.
My long-term view is Bullish all the way - that hasten changed,  I still agree with all the bear sentiment, however it isn't working for me right now,  I just sold out 1/3 somewhat below $20 when my return hit 300% thinking I could buy back in,

The bottom line is: if fiat can create a dilution of wealth security, the same dilution backed by Bitcoin is just better.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: