Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 02:37:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: youtube vid: Bitcoin Debate- Silver Shield vs. Brother John F  (Read 2097 times)
molecular (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 12:02:31 PM
Last edit: February 17, 2013, 12:12:56 PM by molecular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y4T0t_ZWXE

Bitcoin Debate- Silver Shield vs. Brother John F

Silver stacker and seller Chris Douane (truthnevertold) can't get himself to trust bitcoin. It must be a ponzi because it's like fiat currency: intangible. You have to "get physical". He even brings up CIA conspiracy theory ("this is the type of thing the CIA likes to do).

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
molecular (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 12:11:57 PM
Last edit: February 17, 2013, 12:53:05 PM by molecular

side-note: Trace Meyers excellent piece on this bitcoin tangibility isn't well-received by the silver bugs.

Why Bitcoin Is Tangible – Digging Into The Guts Of Bitcoin

Seriously? Why would somebody waste their time writing this article, except to try and label themselves a "philosopher" and "monetary scientist?" Bitcoins are not tangible. The guy in that article is literally redefining tangible by pretending to be some linguistic philosopher.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Liquid

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

Crypto Somnium

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 12:16:02 PM

Thanks for the vid  Wink

I think they don't really know what Bitcoin is, also they are gold and silver bugs

Bitcoin will show the world what hard money really is.
molecular (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 12:50:22 PM

Thanks for the vid  Wink

I think they don't really know what Bitcoin is, also they are gold and silver bugs

So? I think if they understood bitcoin and trusted the tech and therefore bitcoins scarcity, they'd be all over it and putting 5% of their bulky bullion into bitcoin.

Some of the seem to come around recently.

herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2013, 02:06:59 PM

i wish they started to understand that money is just information, and gold and silver are merely tools to store and transport this information without the need for an authority.

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 02:08:13 PM

When the asteroid miners come back with the gold and silvers, we'll be the one who's laughing. MUHAHAHAHAH.

molecular (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 02:28:29 PM

When the asteroid miners come back with the gold and silvers, we'll be the one who's laughing. MUHAHAHAHAH.

you made me laugh already Wink

cypherdoc
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 04:32:54 PM

side-note: Trace Meyers excellent piece on this bitcoin tangibility isn't well-received by the silver bugs.

Seriously? Why would somebody waste their time writing this article, except to try and label themselves a "philosopher" and "monetary scientist?" Bitcoins are not tangible. The guy in that article is literally redefining tangible by pretending to be some linguistic philosopher.

i actually understand what the redittor is complaining about.  personally, i avoid trying to get into their sandbox and redefine core gold/silver bug concepts like "tangibility" while attempting to apply them to Bitcoin.  it's too much of a stretch for them, and me, quite frankly. 

i think its better to stand back and build our own philosophical arguments based on what Bitcoin actually is and what it does.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 04:44:53 PM

just listened to the debate.  the detractor had no substantive arguments other than Bitcoin stinks to him and he "thinks" it is a ponzi.

that only exists b/c he hasn't taken the time to understand Bitcoin or isn't capable of.

the key is the open source nature which means the code is subject to the accountability of anyone capable and willing to take the time to read it. 

its based on the truth which is much more than can be said for any fiat currency.
grantbdev

Activity: 292
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 04:58:28 PM

I'm curious if people like that apply their tangibility arguments to their personal life. Does your wife only have value when you can touch her??

Don't use BIPS!
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 05:00:02 PM

Epic  Cheesy

molecular (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 05:32:28 PM

i actually understand what the redittor is complaining about.  personally, i avoid trying to get into their sandbox and redefine core gold/silver bug concepts like "tangibility" while attempting to apply them to Bitcoin.  it's too much of a stretch for them, and me, quite frankly. 

i think its better to stand back and build our own philosophical arguments based on what Bitcoin actually is and what it does.

I might come around to your viewpoint. Maybe one could ask what's behind tangibility. Why do goldbugs love tangibility? If the answer is: because there is obviously no 3rd-party risk and you can protect the asset from being taken by others, well than it can be argued that this is also possible with bitcoin. While you can't really touch a private key, you can still protect it from being taken by others (even more easily than tangible stuff) and there is no 3rd-party risk invovled either.

hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 05:51:30 PM

i actually understand what the redittor is complaining about.  personally, i avoid trying to get into their sandbox and redefine core gold/silver bug concepts like "tangibility" while attempting to apply them to Bitcoin.  it's too much of a stretch for them, and me, quite frankly.  

I might come around to your viewpoint. Maybe one could ask what's behind tangibility. Why do goldbugs love tangibility? If the answer is: because there is obviously no 3rd-party risk and you can protect the asset from being taken by others, well than it can be argued that this is also possible with bitcoin. While you can't really touch a private key, you can still protect it from being taken by others (even more easily than tangible stuff) and there is no 3rd-party risk invovled either.

Exactly. Tangible is not important to them because they can touch it, they can touch dirt too and yet they don't really care about it. Tangible is important to them because they know the properties that gold has cannot change. That's the only reason that tangibility is important to them because they think that anything that isn't tangible (to them this means thought up by men) can't possibly be governed by rules that can't be changed and yield the same type of properties conducive to something being a store of value and be great for exchange of value.

So tangibility is really how they express the "locked in" properties that gold has. Well the properties of bitcoins are also "locked in" due to the fact that it's practically impossible to change the rules. But this for them is hard to comprehend how it could possible be since they lack the technical expertise to be able to understand the underlying technologies that make that possible. And so they cling religiously to what they know.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
dopamine

Activity: 486
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 05:58:35 PM

Chris is 100 percent invested in silver so there is a reason why bitcoin stinks, his logic on bitcoin is scary because he has so many silver bugs following him.

Bitcoinica still has not given me 50% of my claim of 600 BTC
INTERSANGO can go down with bitcoinica for abandoning customers
Alberto Armandi is a SCAMMER
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 06:10:38 PM

Chris is 100 percent invested in silver so there is a reason why bitcoin stinks, his logic on bitcoin is scary because he has so many silver bugs following him.

that doesn't scare me in the least.  it's just another form of ignorance that over time will be overcome.  Mr. Market requires that there be skeptics, otherwise we wouldn't have sellers.

Bitcoin is hard.  But the fact that we are into this over 4 yrs now and running in the right direction is a great sign.  It really does take a special set of knowledge tools and understanding to get it.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4498

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 01:31:30 AM

gold and silver is worth what it is because of the time, energy, money and capital that goes into creating it. They can go into
same as bitcoin.... time, electric, hardware costs

goodluck trying to set up your computer to mine a bitcoin, i hear it takes years
goodluck making a 1toz gold brick with just a bucket and spade, i hear that will take you years. it takes money and energy to get an excavator, find a plot of land, and start digging these days for anything worthy of a weekly wage.

and this next statement he says can be used for both gold and bitcoin
the only real way of getting them is bidding on them.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 01:54:54 AM

When society collapses you probably want as many cans of food and toilet paper as bitcoins and gold.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: