Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:47:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hashing modules - BitSyncom  (Read 3564 times)
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 01:48:00 AM

They could have sold the modules and controllers even without the heat sinks, to keep the weight down. But I think they have to assemble the systems for final testing anyway, so disassembling is only more work to do for both them and the customer.

I would be genuinely interested to see people start water cooling their modules though. Maybe with geothermal or below ambient cooling. There's not really any need to do that except perhaps if the ASICs can be overclocked or draw less power when cooled. Realistically, though, you'd be stupid to do too much tinkering with it as long as it mines at high return levels. The time for optimising will be when power cost starts catching up with yield.

Selling that large box and complete kit killed them on shipping i heard. Should have allowed ppl to get or make their own case, psu, router, etc... Time spent where not needed in my mind.
Beepbop

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 02:18:26 AM

I see your point.

The problem with that though, is that they'd have to deal with user support and refund requests caused by simply user error if people assemble and install it incorrectly.

What's the limit of units in one Avalon ASIC machine? I know the number 6 has been mentioned before, but is that for the controller hardware, or just for the physical box and PSU. If miners used a high efficiency second hand AC-DC PSU for the telecom or server market it might perhaps be feasible to have 20 modules or so on one PSU. If one just strapped them all to some aluminum siding, that could work as both heat sink and case. Perhaps the high cost hardware in this case would be high amperage DC cables (copper).
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 02:39:45 AM

I see your point.

The problem with that though, is that they'd have to deal with user support and refund requests caused by simply user error if people assemble and install it incorrectly.

What's the limit of units in one Avalon ASIC machine? I know the number 6 has been mentioned before, but is that for the controller hardware, or just for the physical box and PSU. If miners used a high efficiency second hand AC-DC PSU for the telecom or server market it might perhaps be feasible to have 20 modules or so on one PSU. If one just strapped them all to some aluminum siding, that could work as both heat sink and case. Perhaps the high cost hardware in this case would be high amperage DC cables (copper).

If I shipped something that big via UPS just in the USA I reckon it would cost 60 dollars or so.
So to use DHL from China to USA I can see it being 200+ dollars.
Now multiply that by 300. So that is 60,000 dollars one could use to hire a couple of guys to do support for however months it
is needed and come up with a wiki to solve 90% of the problems. That leaves 50 dollars to ship a smaller package. And I cannot
imagine hiring two guys in china with tech/english skills will cost 60K for two months. More like 1K a month per person and that
would probably be hugely generous depending on where they lived.

I dunno. They do have a nice product. Dont get me wrong. But they could have thought it through a bit more and just treated
them like gpus more or less. They could have also sold to many many diff people that way also. Limit 1 per person or what have you.

Just thinking out loud. If they were more transparent from the beginning ppl could have given them suggestions.
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 02:46:19 AM

Someone running a multi-rig setup should really but running off a dedicated 30A 240V circuit.  

Does anyone know what circuit your typical electric stove runs off? in north america? specifically Canada?

(*side note, I don't use my stove, but the plug on the front of it seems to run my AC quite nicely Wink
Stove circuit in Canada should be 50A @ 240V
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 04:59:29 AM

I see your point.

If I shipped something that big via UPS just in the USA I reckon it would cost 60 dollars or so.
Now multiply that by 300. So that is 60,000 dollars one could use to hire a couple of guys to do support for however months it
is needed and come up with a wiki to solve 90% of the problems. That leaves 50 dollars to ship a smaller package. And I cannot
imagine hiring two guys in china with tech/english skills will cost 60K for two months. More like 1K a month per person and that

I dunno. They do have a nice product. Dont get me wrong. But they could have thought it through a bit more and just treated
them like gpus more or less. They could have also sold to many many diff people that way also. Limit 1 per person or what have you.

Just thinking out loud. If they were more transparent from the beginning ppl could have given them suggestions.

i worry about those modules snapping off their mounts inside the case.  i remember someone shipping me a couple of gpu mining rigs with the gpu's pre-mounted.  they got snapped off their mounting screws/plates from the boxes being thrown around by Fedex.  Fedex wouldn't take responsibility for the damage either.
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 05:47:33 AM

i worry about those modules snapping off their mounts inside the case.  i remember someone shipping me a couple of gpu mining rigs with the gpu's pre-mounted.  they got snapped off their mounting screws/plates from the boxes being thrown around by Fedex.  Fedex wouldn't take responsibility for the damage either.

Mmm, true.  Those screws didn't look very big or long.

Hopefully there's something securing the modules at their top ends, but I haven't seen anything in photos.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 06:42:56 PM

Mmm, true.  Those screws didn't look very big or long.

Hopefully there's something securing the modules at their top ends, but I haven't seen anything in photos.

in my case, the gpu's were plugged into their pci slots and they got ripped out as well.  was a mess all b/c of the weight. and guys like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7Sb_r7BKTc
rudrigorc2
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 07:50:45 PM

I like your view on this but being that focused made possible to them deliver the first working unit. The main problem is logistics so being open here wouldnt give the gold info up, maybe they were short on people to handle all the inputs. They still are.
Nemesis

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 08:11:10 PM

Someone running a multi-rig setup should really but running off a dedicated 30A 240V circuit.  

Does anyone know what circuit your typical electric stove runs off? in north america? specifically Canada?

(*side note, I don't use my stove, but the plug on the front of it seems to run my AC quite nicely Wink

OMG.... only bitcoin that makes ppl not eating and mining instead....

oh yeah ordering that pizza, arent you?
shmadz
Legendary

Activity: 1512

@theshmadz

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 03:28:30 AM

meh, I used to be a red-seal chef (I suppose I still am, I don't think my journeyman's certificate expires...) but now I don't cook, I live downtown, 3 or 4 blocks from, well, everything Wink I do eat out a lot (realized I like eating more than cooking) or I'll just get the pre-made salads and sandwiches from the organic store across the street, and yes, of course, the odd pizza now and then  Grin

and holy crap! 50 amps? how do you split that off? like, how can I use that power for various gpu/fpga/asic mining setups? without burning down the house hopefully...  Roll Eyes

"You have no moral right to rule us, nor do you possess any methods of enforcement that we have reason to fear." - John Perry Barlow, 1996
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 02:59:42 AM

meh, I used to be a red-seal chef (I suppose I still am, I don't think my journeyman's certificate expires...) but now I don't cook, I live downtown, 3 or 4 blocks from, well, everything Wink I do eat out a lot (realized I like eating more than cooking) or I'll just get the pre-made salads and sandwiches from the organic store across the street, and yes, of course, the odd pizza now and then  Grin

and holy crap! 50 amps? how do you split that off? like, how can I use that power for various gpu/fpga/asic mining setups? without burning down the house hopefully...  Roll Eyes

Hire an electrician?
ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 04:17:49 AM

meh, I used to be a red-seal chef (I suppose I still am, I don't think my journeyman's certificate expires...) but now I don't cook, I live downtown, 3 or 4 blocks from, well, everything Wink I do eat out a lot (realized I like eating more than cooking) or I'll just get the pre-made salads and sandwiches from the organic store across the street, and yes, of course, the odd pizza now and then  Grin

and holy crap! 50 amps? how do you split that off? like, how can I use that power for various gpu/fpga/asic mining setups? without burning down the house hopefully...  Roll Eyes

I managed to figure this out, though with a 30 amp dryer socket in the basement. It's essentially the same with a stovetop socket. If it is a 4 prong socket, you ignore the neutral. Behold my leet mspaint skillz. I also actually built one, and it works great.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: