Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:07:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My Coinbase Account is Mysteriously 20 BTC Short  (Read 2912 times)
cdog (OP)

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 05:00:42 PM

So I go to check my balance, it should be 50btc and change, and there is only 30?!?!

If I had seen some sort of transfer there, I would assume I had been hacked or my password stolen etc.

But there are no recent transfers in my transaction history. Someone at Coinbase stole my 20btc, or maybe they were hacked?

I emailed them a few hours ago, no response yet. Its not the end of the world for me, but likely the end of my relationship with Coinbase!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cdog (OP)

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 05:27:57 PM

How could this have possibly happened? Ive never experienced anything like this with a bank or paypal.

"Oops! We misplaced 40% of the currency in your account. Sorry about that! Our bad!" This isnt really an acceptable answer for me.

What if I had needed it in an emergency? What does this say about the safety, integrity, and reliability of Coinbase?

I know I only have 3 posts here so my credibility is almost nil, but this is real, and Im really quite surprised this would/could happen.

Luckily, if the money isnt recoverable, its not that big a deal to me financially, but its a big bummer as I cant/wont use Coinbase anymore which is convenient for me.

If anyone has any comments, ideas, suggestions, condolences, Id love to hear them, right now, Im just kind of pissed.

I will update the thread later tonight. Thanks
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 05:28:11 PM

So I go to check my balance, it should be 50btc and change, and there is only 30?!?!
Try to navigate around and hit a few refreshs. I had the same problem - balance seems buggy right now...

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 05:31:50 PM

If anyone has any comments, ideas, suggestions, condolences, Id love to hear them, right now, Im just kind of pissed.
Well. It's still BETA. So calm down and don't keep 100% of your BTC in that service. There is no excuse for not having a cold storage (offline wallet/Armory) or even a hotwallet (e.g. Electrum) on your Laptop. (Be careful with hotwallets or online wallets. You wouldn't put your entire savings into your pocket either, right?)

"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
cdog (OP)

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 05:35:09 PM

Thanks for responding. Im totally new to btc and Coinbase was recommended as the easiest way to get into them, while I learn.

Ive been hitting refresh/sign in/out/in for about 5 hours now, nothing yet, but Im feeling better after you say its just a bug. Hopefully you are right.
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 05:40:44 PM

Thanks for responding. Im totally new to btc and Coinbase was recommended as the easiest way to get into them, while I learn.
Yes. Coinbase is the easiest and most likely the cheapest way to get them. But only keep as much BTC there as you need in an instant. Offline wallets (Cold storage) are the best way to protect yourself from hacks and thievery - you want to learn about it sooner than later. And it takes only a couple of minutes to put offline BTC back online if you really need to.

pc163

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 05:50:20 PM

coinbase just did a great thing for bitcoin community ,they became the partner of reddit. it is disappointed if they are so unprofessional .
SysRun

Activity: 616

Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 06:49:49 PM

What's the "sort by" on the OP image? Why are the dates out of order?

Images are not allowed. As your member rank increases, you can use more types of styling in your signature, and your signature can be longer. See the stickies in Meta for more info.
Max 2000; characters remaining: 1781
HappyScamp

Activity: 314
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 09:17:12 PM

See the coinbase blog.  Everything's alright.  The just need to tweak their algs it sounds like.   

It sounds like your coins are there and some just haven't cleared verification yet....so it doesn't show on your balance.

http://blog.coinbase.com/

Milkshake

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

Milkshake

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 01:31:28 AM

Surely this isn't going to end up the same way as WorldBitcoineXchange or CryptoXChange, am I right?  Grin Grin Grin

TradeFortress has left me negative trust and has provided no proof to substantiate his claim. He has done this to discredit me as I am investigating him.
cdog (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 01:33:16 AM

They emailed me and said it was related to unconfirmed transactions, I guess they are doing such a high volume its become an issue.

My account still says 30btc but they assured me its not a problem and will be restored soon.

Even though in the back of my head I knew it was in beta, it didnt occur to me that it could be a glitch/bug and assumed the worst.

Anyway, I guess they have it all sorted now and everyones balance should show correctly within a few days.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 09:35:47 AM

Surely this isn't going to end up the same way as WorldBitcoineXchange or CryptoXChange, am I right?  Grin Grin Grin

Aww this is so flattering  Grin Grin Grin LOL!

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

HappyScamp

Activity: 314
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 03:34:37 AM

I have changed my opinion about Coinbase, which I above defended:

Read about it: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=147341.0

btcsheep

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 11:06:57 AM

This might be whats happened.

http://bitcoindiscourse.com/t/major-security-flaw-found-in-coinbase/86
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 04:29:51 AM

This is why a website is a terrible system for store of value. Use coinbase as a payment processor, not a bank vault. You gotta learn the difference if you want to survive the bitcoin tsunami.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: