Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:59:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: casascius faild  (Read 2055 times)
andrehorta (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1261
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2013, 07:10:00 PM

People

I bouth two coins from Casascius a long time ago, now i made a redeem with one coin (1PEYE8KA) and works fine, but when i try do make a redeem with another coin (1CaHREKs) its not working:

"Private address added to your virtual wallet with address 128UQuCfGMCKWihfebqLt4SsW3u4kuMsea. There was no coins in there, maybe you did a typo?"

I think the private key printed on the coin is wrong!

How can i solve this?
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
21after2

Activity: 112
Merit: 16

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 07:14:16 PM

Have you contacted Casascius through his website or here on the forum? If there was a mistake, he's the one to ask about it.

Edit: Looking at blockchain, the address you posted has never had a transaction. He may have forgotten to load it before he sent it to you.
http://blockchain.info/address/128UQuCfGMCKWihfebqLt4SsW3u4kuMsea
Edit 2: My bad, that's your address, not the one from the coin. His coins come with public keys, right? Do you have yours so you check the balance to confirm coins were added to the address?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4610

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 07:20:47 PM

People

I bouth two coins from Casascius a long time ago, now i made a redeem with one coin (1PEYE8KA) and works fine, but when i try do make a redeem with another coin (1CaHREKs) its not working:

"Private address added to your virtual wallet with address 128UQuCfGMCKWihfebqLt4SsW3u4kuMsea. There was no coins in there, maybe you did a typo?"

How can i solve this?

That doesn't look like the right bitcoin address.  Based on your post, I'd expect the bitcoin address to start with "1CaHREKs".  Looking at Casascius' list here:
https://www.casascius.com/fulllist.txt

I'd expect the full address to be:
1CaHREKsZEQRtL5h5j7CNjbcnc89hdi8jM

Which shows a balance of 1 BTC here:
http://blockchain.info/address/1CaHREKsZEQRtL5h5j7CNjbcnc89hdi8jM

Are you certain that you typed the private key correctly when you redeemed it?

I see two possibilities here:

• You made a typo when trying to redeem the private key.
  • Casascius made an error printing the codes on the insert and provided you with the wrong private key

My guess is that you made an error on the redeeming, but if you are 100% positive that you entered the private key exactly as it is on the insert, then send Casascius a Personal Message on this forum and I'm sure he can help you resolve this.
andrehorta (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2013, 08:22:27 PM

The correct is: http://blockexplorer.com/address/1CaHREKsZEQRtL5h5j7CNjbcnc89hdi8jM

Is not a typo error, i try to type four times, yesterday and today.

Do you have the contact of casascius?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 08:30:17 PM

The contact of casascius:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=2676

The correct is: http://blockexplorer.com/address/1CaHREKsZEQRtL5h5j7CNjbcnc89hdi8jM

I assume that English is not your native language.  We seem to be having an issue communicating here.

I'm going to assume that you understand that 1CaHREKsZEQRtL5h5j7CNjbcnc89hdi8jM is not the private key.  The private key is on the other side of the insert.  I'm also going to assume that you know not to post the private key publicly here in the forum (doing so would result in someone immediately stealing your bitcoin).  Go ahead and send Casascius a message.  I'm sure when he gets online he'll be able to help you resolve this issue.
andrehorta (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2013, 08:59:46 PM

The contact of casascius:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=2676

I assume that English is not your native language.  We seem to be having an issue communicating here.

I'm going to assume that you understand that 1CaHREKsZEQRtL5h5j7CNjbcnc89hdi8jM is not the private key.  The private key is on the other side of the insert.  I'm also going to assume that you know not to post the private key publicly here in the forum (doing so would result in someone immediately stealing your bitcoin).  Go ahead and send Casascius a message.  I'm sure when he gets online he'll be able to help you resolve this issue.

Yes, you correct in all and i agree. Thank you for information, i will contact casascius and post here the result. (i´m from Brazil)
Scott J
Legendary

Activity: 1792

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 09:34:48 PM

Interesting scenario - if there were an error, would casascius still back the coin?

lucif

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Clown prophet

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 10:43:10 PM

Checked out balance of my coins - okay. However I didn't try to redeem the private key, as it will break coinz.
jl2012
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1092

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 02:18:28 AM

People

How can i solve this?

Are you sure you type it correctly? The one you have redeemed should be 1PEYE6KA, not 1PEYE8KA

Donation address: 374iXxS4BuqFHsEwwxUuH3nvJ69Y7Hqur3 (Bitcoin ONLY)
LRDGENPLYrcTRssGoZrsCT1hngaH3BVkM4 (LTC)
PGP: D3CC 1772 8600 5BB8 FF67 3294 C524 2A1A B393 6517
andrehorta (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2013, 11:42:56 PM

I was wrong! I typed again, and i did the redeem
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 12:11:29 AM

Good to know. He seems like a trustworthy guy.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 12:12:32 AM

I was wrong! I typed again, and i did the redeem
This is what I expected.  It is very difficult to convince someone that they made a mistake when the are sure that they didn't.  I'm glad you gave it another try, and I'm glad to hear that it all worked out.
Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 09:03:31 PM

please edit and correct the title of this thread.

thank you:)

Pm'ed him and asked him to do so.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2013, 10:05:52 PM

Didn't see this thread until now, but I was contacted by the OP and got it taken care of.

A couple comments:

1 - my "minikey" format offers a checksum, but MtGox doesn't attempt to validate it.  It's a simple 7-bit hash-based checksum, will catch the overwhelming majority of typos.  Instead of saying "Sorry you made a mistake", MtGox is prone to say "Successfully imported bitcoin address [WRONGADDRESSHERE], there were no bitcoins, maybe you made a typo?"  In fact if you type total nonsense into MtGox (e.g. the bitcoin address, or an arbitrary string such as "Spongebob Squarepants") you'll get the same result.

2 - I realize my printing on my private keys is small.  Sometimes that makes it hard to distinguish: 1 vs l (it's always 1 when present), S vs s vs 5, Z vs 2.  Use a magnifying glass if necessary.  Sorry, there's not much I can do about the size.  I don't even like reading them myself, and will put the coins on a flatbed scanner and scan them at 600 DPI and read them off my screen when I have to read a lot of them.

3 - having the wrong private key on my coins is EXTREMELY unlikely.  This is especially so for my windowed coins where you see the address prefix on the same paper that holds the private key, as I was super diligent and double and triple and quadruple checked those key sheets individually before cutting them to make sure what's on the front matches what's on the back.  I'm not above making mistakes, but on the other hand, I was so careful with checking those keys that I wouldn't hesitate to put 1000+ BTC on one (and I clearly don't hesitate, as I have made a few 1000 BTC items with them and I stand behind them as having a correct private key).

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: