Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 09:01:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Is bad crypto dangerous?
Yes, it is an existential threat - 25 (73.5%)
No, high school math is good enough - 9 (26.5%)
Total Voters: 34

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The impact of bad crypto (DASH, SDC, etc). How much does math matter?  (Read 7222 times)
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 06:23:35 PM

The FRAUD and SCAM exposed:

https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero

Introduction

Monero is a private, secure, untraceable currency. You are your bank, you control your funds, and nobody can trace your transfers unless you decide so.

The "brochure" is fraudulent.

The claims are false.

This is false marketing with dangerous RL consequences.

XMR #REKT
XMR #verybadcrypto
AlexGR
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 06:24:43 PM

The typical btc tx is around 0.3kb

It's not. It is closer to 0.5KB-1 KB, in some blocks >1 KB

Look at the recent blocks.

It's the new spam vector Tongue
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 06:29:28 PM

Every chain has a degree of spam, that's included in the 2.5 GB Monero chain as well. In reality the 7 TPS benchmark (which comes to 240 bytes) for Bitcoin just turned out to be an unrealistic ideal scenario, or at least unrealistic unless extreme transaction packing efficiency is forced by high tx fees. But that too applies to every chain in various ways. For example here is a mix 4 transaction that is only 758 bytes. If people really cared about fees, transactions would likely be constructed in a more compact manner. YMMV.

http://moneroblocks.info/tx/9fd92998d3bfef59b86aeb09f29746eaf0f49846736965533714800be0eaa31e
AlexGR
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 06:33:28 PM

Every chain has a degree of spam, that's included in the 2.5 GB Monero chain as well. In reality the 7 TPS benchmark (which comes to 240 bytes) for Bitcoin just turned out to be an unrealistic ideal scenario, or at least unrealistic unless extreme transaction packing efficiency is forced by high tx fees. But that too applies to every chain in various ways. For example here is a mix 4 transaction that is only 758 bytes. If people really cared about fees, transactions would likely be constructed in a more compact manner. YMMV.

http://moneroblocks.info/tx/9fd92998d3bfef59b86aeb09f29746eaf0f49846736965533714800be0eaa31e

I guess it's solvable by higher fees that promote more efficient ways to use the blockchain but then you have to face the social-engineering attack vector "ohh my gawd these fee increases are killing adoption", etc etc.
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2016, 06:39:39 PM

I find it fascinating how Alex misses that the worse he tries to make Monero look, the worse dash looks--I never asked for NSA proof transactions, nor was I promised them, but I would like protection from non-state actors, and if the right network evolves within I2p or TOR or something else, then a coin that can be NSA proof would be even better, so no dash, yes Monero.

Regarding Monero's anonymity, do you stand by the statement you've expressed below in the past (regarding broken anonymity due to metadata correlation)?

Cryptonote was created by anonymous people. Even Monero's cryptographer is anonymous. Who created this anonymity that is easily broken by meta-data. I don't know if that is circumspect or just the way the world turns.

Against the NSA yes I stand by the assertion that IP address correlation unmasks, overlapping rings unmask, etc. It all adds up if you are trying to hide from governments, then I don't trust Monero or any anonymous coin. Notice I wrote "privacy" and not anonymity in prior post upthread. For privacy, I think Monero is suitable and Dash is not (because not autonomous End-to-End).

AlexGR
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 06:49:04 PM

I never asked for NSA proof transactions, nor was I promised them, but I would like protection from non-state actors, and if the right network evolves within I2p or TOR or something else, then a coin that can be NSA proof would be even better, so no dash, yes Monero.

What part of "untraceable" and "nobody" don't you get?

..."nobody can trace your transfers unless you decide so"

Yeah, well, I didn't decide that I wanted the government to know what I'm transacting Cry

Monero #SCAM #REKT  Cry Cry Cry
XMR #snakeoil  Cry Cry Cry
generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2016, 06:55:37 PM

I never asked for NSA proof transactions, nor was I promised them, but I would like protection from non-state actors, and if the right network evolves within I2p or TOR or something else, then a coin that can be NSA proof would be even better, so no dash, yes Monero.

What part of "untraceable" and "nobody" don't you get?

..."nobody can trace your transfers unless you decide so"

Yeah, well, I didn't decide that I wanted the government to know what I'm transacting Cry

Monero #SCAM #REKT  Cry Cry Cry
XMR #snakeoil  Cry Cry Cry

Again, you're conflating metadata that requires your OSPEC to be on point and the network you are interacting with not to leek information with Monero's technology--so this is like blaming a car company for traffic accidents caused by the absence of a stop sign. The car company can only do so much, but in dash's case they forgot the airbags and brakes.

Against the NSA yes I stand by the assertion that IP address correlation unmasks, overlapping rings unmask, etc. It all adds up if you are trying to hide from governments, then I don't trust Monero or any anonymous coin. Notice I wrote "privacy" and not anonymity in prior post upthread. For privacy, I think Monero is suitable and Dash is not (because not autonomous End-to-End).

TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 262

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 07:09:08 PM

Well you are both right, lol.

Let AlexGR have his small point victory. Perhaps Monero could put an * footnote on their slogan.

The larger more salient point is generalizethis'.

generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2016, 07:13:43 PM

Let AlexGR have his small point victory. Perhaps Monero could put an * footnote on their slogan.

I wonder if Alex was a king in a previous life--maybe King of Epirus?  Tongue

TPTB_need_war

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 07:17:58 PM

I wonder if Alex was a king in a previous life--maybe King of Epirus?  Tongue

Or Liberland's 7 km² delta.

I am just joking because any animosity/tension I had felt with AlexGR seems to have grown wings and flown away.

AlexGR
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 07:25:21 PM

Animosity is not good. We're just having fun here with our altcoins (or "shitcoins" for others - depending one's view I guess) Cheesy

Just 5 minutes of anger can cause one's immune system to underperform for up to 7-10 hours or so.

On the other hand, 5 minutes of loving feelings (gratitude, appreciation) can have the same positive effect to the immune system, extending for several hours.

The "battle mode" that one might engage in while foruming and debating in troll threads, is not really conductive to one's health. It must be viewed as a fun exercise.
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 07:28:48 PM

Animosity is not good. We're just having fun here with our altcoins (or "shitcoins" for others - depending one's view I guess) Cheesy

Just 5 minutes of anger can cause one's immune system to underperform for up to 7-10 hours or so.

On the other hand, 5 minutes of loving feelings (gratitude, appreciation) can have the same positive effect to the immune system, extending for several hours.

The "battle mode" that one might engage in while foruming and debating in troll threads, is not really conductive to one's health. It must be viewed as a fun exercise.

Three beers to that :lifting mugs:

generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2016, 07:33:14 PM

My father was a genius (he was a code breaker during WWII and into the Korean War) and my mother was a schizophrenic, and while my father's logic skill set and knowledge base were vastly superior to my Mother's, she regularly won arguments by using emotional triggers to get him out of his game--that education has served me well for BCT (don't let the them anger or frustrate you with the same invalidated points over and over again or attempt to steal the narrative, but find creative and efficient ways to bolster the important points, and when they just hand you one, well....).

AlexGR
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 07:42:41 PM

Three beers to that :lifting mugs:

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 07:53:20 PM

Unlike people wasting their time on forums mudslinging, Evan uses his time to code the next features of DASH.

You mean like yourself? lol  Cheesy

You Dash supporters should get a career in standup comedy as I'm rolling everytime you folks post something on this forum.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 08:11:57 PM

Ladies & Gentlemen, I present to you the Toknormal Memorial DashHole Ignorance Hall of Fame.   Cheesy

Gold is a public blockchain

Cryptography has never been a significant part of cryptocurrency - even though it may share the first few letters.

ROFL!

Yup and silver is also public as well. Would love to see ALL balances of silver holdings of every person on planet earth and alien's in other solar systems as well.

Thanks ahead of time Tok! Cheesy

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 08:14:41 PM

Now that you quoted the entire post, does it change the fact that he says BITCOIN IS A BROKEN DESIGN?

FTFY

Now apologize for misreading and misquoting what was pretty obvious for anyone with high school reading skills.

Yeah because if he considers bitcoin as "broken" due to its scaling which is 10 times better than monero, then monero ...isn't broken Cheesy

Dat logic.

And he also asserted time and time again (even two posts above) that the anonymity is broken against the state due to metadata correlation.

Against the NSA yes I stand by the assertion that IP address correlation unmasks, overlapping rings unmask, etc. It all adds up if you are trying to hide from governments, then I don't trust Monero or any anonymous coin.

#badycrypto XMR  Cry Cry Cry

Sigh, he also said dash is the worst of the three, so if you're going to use him as an authority figure, you have to accept that analysis. The enemy of my enemy is my friend until they become friends with my enemy because they just don't like you very much.

Smooth has pointed out that metadata isn't the problem that Monero was designed to solve and it's still up for I2p and TOR and other anonymous networks to prevent metadata collection. Dash doesn't even solve the problem that Monero solves and dash even finds ways to create new problems, like having an instamine and node incentives aggregate power into the form of an oligarchy.

You folks may be wasting your time arguing and going back and forth with people who are all about diversions.

Once they attempt to make a point and have it debunked by their either conscious or ignorant nature they instantly change the subject and point in another direction while not admitting to their obvious faults and flaws in logic and in reality.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

TPTB_need_war

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 08:16:06 PM

One must admit that is a crowning achievement.  Cheesy  Tongue (all in jest and joke, no animosity)

toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 08:57:32 PM

Actually, the public blockchain is a very good analogy for gold. Both derive their value from a public consensus endorsement through repeated shared experience.

In gold's case, it has a public "address" in the periodic table and the physical manifestation of that address is exposed to repeated validation by the whole of society over centuries.

An obscured blockchain can never achieve that level of network effect because......obscured LoL !  Tongue

One holder sees one address. Another holder sees another address and non-holders see nothing at all. No shared experience. No shared consensus. No shared value.

It works for backed money (e.g. fiat transport & CT sidechains). But as unbacked money is about as effective as a chocolate teapot.

TPTB_need_war

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 09:04:33 PM

Actually, the public blockchain is a very good analogy for gold.

Got to give credit where credit is due, TikTok ain't no lone 'backsplaining cowboy because he like any good speculator destined for bankruptcy possesses the skill to double-down after stop-losses have been catapulted into the blogosphere.

Let's dance!

Quote from: TikTok
Don't stop, make it pop
DJ, blow my speakers up
Tonight, Imma fight
'Til we see the sunlight
TiK ToK, on the clock
But the party don't stop no
Whoa-oh oh oh
Whoa-oh oh oh

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print