Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 09:35:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Innovator's Dilemma - (Bitcoin and the banks)  (Read 1530 times)
marcus_of_augustus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 10:05:50 PM
Last edit: February 18, 2013, 06:07:16 AM by marcus_of_augustus

http://www.claytonchristensen.com/books/the-innovators-dilemma/

Many of you may have read this book, with it's central thesis being in a nutshell
When big companies fail, it’s often not because they do something wrong but because they do everything right. Successful businesses, Christensen explained, are trained to focus on what he calls sustaining innovations—innovations at the profitable, high end of the market, making things incrementally bigger, more powerful, and more efficient. The problem is that this leaves companies vulnerable to the disruptive innovations that emerge in the murky, low-margin bottom of the market. And this is where the true revolutions occur, creating new markets and wreaking havoc within industries.

I wonder how applicable it is to the case of Bitcoin and the banking/payments industry. The banks are hugely profitable right now, and appear to be doing everything right to look after their wealthiest customers and profit handsomely from the high-end margin share of the market, e.g. govt. bonds. But are they ignoring the "disruptive innovations" that are occurring in the murky low-end of the market that will ultimately cause them to fail?

It seems it might be we have a textbook case example for the The Innovator's Dilemma happening right before our eyes. How long can the banks ignore Bitcoin before it will be too late for them to avoid failure by obsolescence, months, years, decades?

Which banks will be most likely to provide bitcoin services for their "low-end" market share first, small regionals, mega-banks, S&Ls?

Or will they all be too rule-bound by regulations and red-tape (much of which they crafted themselves to stifle competition) to even attempt incorporating bitcoin technology innovations into their systems?

n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 10:51:24 PM

Certain specialized types of banks like those offshore in the Caymans, Monaco, Switzerland, etc. catering mostly to private banking customers, are definitely going to get killed by Bitcoin.  They simply will never be able to compete on privacy or security.

But perhaps the outlook for smaller local banks might not be too dire if they have other consistent sources of revenue that they can fall back on (e.g. mortgages, loans, investment advisory, safety deposit boxes), or can reinvent themselves as Bitcoin service providers or handlers for offchain transactions.

As far as which legacy money business gets killed most quickly by Bitcoin, I'd put my bet on transfer businesses like Western Union.  Buying puts on WU might be one of the few trades that will compare to holding BTC in terms of rate of return over the coming years.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 10:59:25 PM

My guess is the way some banks will survive will be to create exchanges and matching engines, but also try to enforce all the "know your customer" requirements. Its either that or they operate full nodes to get income out of transaction fees once that becomes commonplace.

The more likely outcome is they flounder for a while, try to legislate bitcoin out of existence, fail, then grudgingly a few of them will adapt.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 12:24:57 AM

Buying puts on WU might be one of the few trades that will compare to holding BTC in terms of rate of return over the coming years.

Shorting the big boys is the last, best use of fiat.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 01:57:46 AM

Buying puts on WU might be one of the few trades that will compare to holding BTC in terms of rate of return over the coming years.

Shorting the big boys is the last, best use of fiat.

You're still left with profits in fiat though so I don't know what good will do ya..  Cheesy

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 02:32:33 AM

If everybody knows "The Innovator's Dilemma", why do they act like it's not true?

marcus_of_augustus (OP)
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 03:44:43 AM

If everybody knows "The Innovator's Dilemma", why do they act like it's not true?

lol, this is so true. It's like people cannot help themselves.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 05:33:28 AM

Certain specialized types of banks like those offshore in the Caymans, Monaco, Switzerland, etc. catering mostly to private banking customers, are definitely going to get killed by Bitcoin.  They simply will never be able to compete on privacy or security.

But perhaps the outlook for smaller local banks might not be too dire if they have other consistent sources of revenue that they can fall back on (e.g. mortgages, loans, investment advisory, safety deposit boxes), or can reinvent themselves as Bitcoin service providers or handlers for offchain transactions.

As far as which legacy money business gets killed most quickly by Bitcoin, I'd put my bet on transfer businesses like Western Union.  Buying puts on WU might be one of the few trades that will compare to holding BTC in terms of rate of return over the coming years.

see that big drop in the middle?  shorted  that one perfectly back in Nov and brought it up in my Gold Thread.  that one was worth a lot.

guess what?  get to do it all over again.  MACD crossing again to the downside.  one day it will be a zero.

Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 06:10:50 AM

Someone on r/Bitcoin today posted a perfect example of this phenomenon from the steel industry:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/18pcw7/what_happens_when_asics_start_shipping_are_gpu/c8gvlw1
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 08:31:51 AM

You're still left with profits in fiat though so I don't know what good will do ya..  Cheesy

Move them into btc, natch. Smiley
vssa

Activity: 207
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 06:58:35 PM

I think we need to open a bitcoin fund that will open short positions on Western Union Co (NYSE: WU),paypal and other credit card companies not to profit just to make a point...
marcus_of_augustus (OP)
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 11:27:45 PM
Last edit: February 18, 2013, 11:43:34 PM by marcus_of_augustus

I think we need to open a bitcoin fund that will open short positions on Western Union Co (NYSE: WU),paypal and other credit card companies not to profit just to make a point...

Heh ... maybe not poke the hornet's nest too much just yet.

It will be delicious enough just watching them refuse to adopt, even as we eat their lunch in front of them.

Edit: I guess we could always run a book on betsofbitcoin to see which major bank adopts/offers bitcoin services first.

vssa

Activity: 207
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 06:41:15 AM

Heh ... maybe not poke the hornet's nest too much just yet.

It will be delicious enough just watching them refuse to adopt, even as we eat their lunch in front of them.

Edit: I guess we could always run a book on betsofbitcoin to see which major bank adopts/offers bitcoin services first.

No I mean seriously lets open  account on interactive brokers( http://www1.interactivebrokers.ch/contract_info/v3.8/index.php?action=Details&site=GEN&conid=95966725 ) and fund it with bitcoins by issuing colored bitcoins(bitcoinx.org)that will represent the holding of options at interactive brokers and will pay dividends from profits to shareholders(colored bitcoins owners)

of course we will be as transparent as possible and will publish weekly the account balance and all relevant info also we will say that it is more of a social commentary than the pursuit of profit.

I am just saying that if you own bits why not to short the "competition" with 5% of your BTC holdings....
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: