Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 10:54:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How secure is password generation in MultiBit HD?  (Read 1028 times)
x13 (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Things are called shit for a reason, dear.

View Profile
April 23, 2016, 12:58:59 PM

I just downloaded MultiBit HD. By now, I have used Multibit Classic. I am wondering how secure the 12 words passphrase of MultiBit HD is?
Acutally, the group of words are all known. Is it not possible to try all combination of the words in order to get the right pass? Something like a bruteforce attack.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2016, 08:53:08 PM

I just downloaded MultiBit HD. By now, I have used Multibit Classic. I am wondering how secure the 12 words passphrase of MultiBit HD is?
Acutally, the group of words are all known. Is it not possible to try all combination of the words in order to get the right pass? Something like a bruteforce attack.

No its not. The symbols for your private keys are well known as well (1,0 if encoded binary, [a-f0-9] if encoded in hex). Think of the words like a different set of symbols. They still represent a 128-bit (IIRC) number, which is impossible to brute force with currently available technology. It may be possible in the distant future, but for now there are no signs that it ever will be.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
x13 (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Things are called shit for a reason, dear.

View Profile
May 05, 2016, 01:01:17 PM

So, currently I do not worry about the security about my Bitcoins?

In your first sentence you state that it is not secure. In the last sentence you state that it is secure by now. Confuseingly.

No its not. The symbols for your private keys are well known as well (1,0 if encoded binary, [a-f0-9] if encoded in hex). Think of the words like a different set of symbols. They still represent a 128-bit (IIRC) number, which is impossible to brute force with currently available technology. It may be possible in the distant future, but for now there are no signs that it ever will be.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2016, 09:34:36 PM

So, currently I do not worry about the security about my Bitcoins?

I dont know what you worry about.

In your first sentence you state that it is not secure.

No. I say "No, its not" to your "Is it not possible to try all combination of the words in order to get the right pass?".

In the last sentence you state that it is secure by now. Confuseingly.

Your assumption that because the symbols are known its less secure makes no sense.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2016, 09:49:31 PM

Well, when you created the wallet and were asked to write down the seed phrase in order to restore the wallet if needed, you need to worry about keyloggers stealing your seed. Same with the password you use for the wallet to encrypt your private keys. This article from Forbes discusses bitcoin stealing malware and this was two years ago.

The author recommended cold storage, specifically Trezor to keep your private keys offline and the use of a hardware wallet is more important today than two years ago. If you own more than a few bitcoin you should be using a hardware wallet or risk an unpleasant surprise one day to find your bitcoin stolen.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: