Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:03:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [PPC] PPCoin 0.3.0 Release - Upgrade Required  (Read 20763 times)
Sunny King (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1205
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2013, 11:07:21 PM
Last edit: February 18, 2013, 11:37:46 PM by Sunny King

Official release build is now available http://www.ppcoin.org/ (via sourceforge)

What's in 0.3.0 release:

• Stake generation protocol upgrade (protocol switch March 20th)
  • Qt UI support
  • Fix compatibility with vanitygen (note: private keys dumped in v0.2 is no longer importable into v0.3.0, must dump again from v0.3.0 client)
  • Miscellaneous bug fixes and improvements

The protocol upgrade in 0.3.0 includes a new algorithm to derive proof-of-stake hash modifier, the entity that scrambles computation for stake owners, which replaces the current proof-of-stake difficulty used as modifier in 0.2 protocol. The design was started late September last year, when I first began to realize the issues with using difficulty as modifier. Honorary mention also goes to Jutarul, who independently discovered and verified an issue with using difficulty as modifier and published on bitcointalk in December last year, while successfully executed a demo attack on the block chain. Other changes in the protocol include starting hash weight from 0 at the 30-day mininum age, and requirement that coinstake timestamp must equal block timestamp. Overall 0.3 protocol should significantly strengthen the proof-of-stake protection and resolve the current known vulnerabilities.

Upgrade instructions:

Upgrade is required before Wednesday March 20th. Nodes that have not upgraded before this deadline will disconnect from the main ppcoin network (hard fork).

To upgrade:
1) Before upgrade, you must first backup your wallet:
ppcoind backupwallet <destination_backup_wallet_name>
2) Note down your balance/stake/newmint amounts. Shutdown ppcoin
ppcoind stop
3) Inside your wallet directory, remove all files and subdirectories except for leaving wallet.dat and ppcoin.conf in place.
4) Download 0.3.0 and unpack/install.
5) Start up ppcoind/ppcoin-qt normally.
6) Use getinfo/about to confirm your ppcoind/ppcoin-qt version is now 'v0.3.0ppc-beta'
7) You should see block chain is being downloaded again. Please note during redownload of block chain your balance will be shown initially as 0 and change as block chain is being downloaded. This is expected. When block chain download completes your balance/stake/newmint should return to the same value before the upgrade.

My sincere appreciation to co-contributors of 0.3.0 release:

• Robert VanHazinga of Hartland PC (dreamwatcher) for the vanitygen compatibility fix
  • Jutarul for demonstrating stake generation vulnerability
  • EskimoBob for reporting issue fixed in 0.3.0

Cheers and have fun!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FuzzyBear
Legendary

Activity: 1420

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2013, 11:57:23 PM

Sweet nice work and gtz on the new release Smiley am installing now.. will try on Windows 7, XP, Server 2008 and Ubuntu 12.04 so i'll let u know if I have any problems Cool

***** Earn DEV at http://devtome.com *****
12gaFacelift

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 12:09:44 AM

up and running on win7

Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience. ~ *CANADA ONLY* Colloidal Silver Wire Rod - 12 Gauge Pure Silver .9999 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=775964.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=731923.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1323657.0
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 01:22:53 AM

Okay i still think that not talking about how the algorithm works isn't going to make the boogey man go away.

Can you explain publicly the new POS algorithm?

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Liquid

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

Crypto Somnium

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 01:36:33 AM

QT version ?

Bitcoin will show the world what hard money really is.
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 02:34:25 AM

Okay i still think that not talking about how the algorithm works isn't going to make the boogey man go away.

Can you explain publicly the new POS algorithm?

this

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 02:37:32 AM

First of, congrats to the release! I can only imagine how much work has been put into it. Also your acknowledgement is somewhat flattering.

So far there has been a lot of secrecy about the development team and process of ppcoin. This has to be improved if this cryptocurrency shall be here to stay. It is perfectly possible to stay anonymous while performing a transparent development. Up to today you haven't stated a reasoning for your procedure.

If you have any design documents, which lead to the derivation of the 0.3.0 POS implementation please share them with the community. Also it would be great if you could explain HOW exactly the new implementation removes the weaknesses of a computational attack on the POS generation.

Also, please know that I have nothing against opaque development in general as long as the source code is published and can be verified. There are a lot of reasons why developers choose opaque development - the predominated one being lack of time to prepare documentation and engage in algorithmic design discussions.
However, I don't understand why it has to be that way here. Especially network security is a critical topic which benefits from a peer developed process, making the code stronger - not weaker.

Thank you

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
Sunny King (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2013, 03:00:44 AM

Thanks. Surely you have already touched upon the reasons of what you refer to as 'opaque' development, mostly, due to lack of resources, secondly, for security concerns. I only have time to discuss the design with trusted peers before release. I hope you can understand that there is lot of work involved and it's not trivial work to even understand the design and its intricacies. There is no separate document, I have put some comments into the source code, it's not long at all, only about 400 lines in kernel.cpp and some of it is preexisting code in v0.2. Interested parties can take time to look at it, and discuss it maybe in my disclosure thread. I'll try to answer some of the questions along the way.

Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 03:38:56 AM

Thanks. Surely you have already touched upon the reasons of what you refer to as 'opaque' development, mostly, due to lack of resources, secondly, for security concerns. I only have time to discuss the design with trusted peers before release. I hope you can understand that there is lot of work involved and it's not trivial work to even understand the design and its intricacies. There is no separate document, I have put some comments into the source code, it's not long at all, only about 400 lines in kernel.cpp and some of it is preexisting code in v0.2. Interested parties can take time to look at it, and discuss it maybe in my disclosure thread. I'll try to answer some of the questions along the way.
Thanks, that should clear things up. Although I don't quite follow you on "security concerns". It seems that your understanding of cryptology got things backwards - at least from my perspective.

"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
Sunny King (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2013, 03:52:16 AM

Thanks, that should clear things up. Although I don't quite follow you on "security concerns". It seems that your understanding of cryptology got things backwards - at least from my perspective.

Not really, we just have different perspectives. As the maintainer of ppcoin I have obligations to not talk about unfixed vulnerabilities freely. It's a cryptocurrency in production, not just a research project that no investor loss would be involved. If you ask Gavin about his position on this matter he likely would have to tell you the same thing.
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 04:51:40 AM

Not really, we just have different perspectives. As the maintainer of ppcoin I have obligations to not talk about unfixed vulnerabilities freely. It's a cryptocurrency in production, not just a research project that no investor loss would be involved. If you ask Gavin about his position on this matter he likely would have to tell you the same thing.
I agree with the sentiment to keep vulnerabilities confidential which can lead to immediate harm, until a solution is in place. However, suppression of reporting leads to a false sense of security - for the unaware. It would be great to have some sort of alarm in place. But this is an issue not restricted to ppcoin. It's not even restricted to cryptocurrencies or software. It's a general aspect of governance.

EskimoBob
Legendary

Activity: 910

Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 07:33:09 AM

Upgrade instructions:

Upgrade is required before Wednesday March 20th. Nodes that have not upgraded before this deadline will disconnect from the main ppcoin network (hard fork).

To upgrade:
1) Before upgrade, you must first backup your wallet:
ppcoind backupwallet <destination_backup_wallet_name>
2) Note down your balance/stake/newmint amounts. Shutdown ppcoin
ppcoind stop
3) Inside your wallet directory, remove all files and subdirectories except for leaving wallet.dat and ppcoin.conf in place.
4) Download 0.3.0 and unpack/install.
5) Start up ppcoind/ppcoin-qt normally.
6) Use getinfo/about to confirm your ppcoind/ppcoin-qt version is now 'v0.3.0ppc-beta'
7) You should see block chain is being downloaded again. Please note during redownload of block chain your balance will be shown initially as 0 and change as block chain is being downloaded. This is expected. When block chain download completes your balance/stake/newmint should return to the same value before the upgrade.

My sincere appreciation to co-contributors of 0.3.0 release:

• Robert VanHazinga of Hartland PC (dreamwatcher) for the vanitygen compatibility fix
  • Jutarul for demonstrating stake generation vulnerability
  • EskimoBob for reporting issue fixed in 0.3.0

Cheers and have fun!

Excellent job ya'll.

"destination" - you actually need to add a destination path
$ ./ppcoind backupwallet /home/destination-dir-here/new_wallet_name.dat

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
BTW, Things in BTC bubble universes are getting ugly....
Milkshake

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

Milkshake

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 07:35:04 AM

Great! Now let's see how long until another vuln is discovered  Grin Grin Grin

TradeFortress has left me negative trust and has provided no proof to substantiate his claim. He has done this to discredit me as I am investigating him.
AndyRossy

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 08:12:40 AM

Will be updating later on this afternoon =) gj.
Vitalicus

Activity: 467
Merit: 100

DIA | Data infrastructure for DeFi

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 05:03:33 PM

Finaly !!!!!
Thanks and for great GUI

EskimoBob
Legendary

Activity: 910

Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 05:10:01 PM

upgraded from source. Did not encounter any problems. Good job.
I'll compile ppcoin-qt later.

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
BTW, Things in BTC bubble universes are getting ugly....
dreamwatcher
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2013, 05:15:21 PM

I upgraded cryptocoin explorer last night.

Install went smooth, and no issues so far.  Smiley
Sunny King (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 12:08:14 AM

Note: if your wallet contains more than a couple thousand transactions, when you are redownloading block chain the Qt UI might appear locked up. This is a known issue due to the heavy-lifting of wallet scanning I believe but it's not really locked up and still doing the work. Just leave it to finish the redownload of block chain, or you can use command line getinfo to check its progress (getinfo response will be slower also in this situation).

If you have really huge/fragmented wallet causing redownload to be really slow, another option might be to redownload block chain with an empty wallet, then stop ppcoin and replace the empty wallet with real wallet backup.
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 12:24:33 AM

If you ask Gavin about his position on this matter he likely would have to tell you the same thing.

... or not.  There's a difference between "unfixed vulnerabilities" and "half-baked design."

I think big decisions that affect the fundamentals of the design should be discussed in the open (see the current Bitcoin debate over raising the block size limit).

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Sunny King (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 12:45:10 AM

... or not.  There's a difference between "unfixed vulnerabilities" and "half-baked design."

I think big decisions that affect the fundamentals of the design should be discussed in the open (see the current Bitcoin debate over raising the block size limit).

It's a whole gray area I am not really interested debating about this. You make judgement on bitcoin what should be discussed in the open what needs to be kept under wrap until it's patched, I make my judgement on ppcoin. Meanwhile, let's focus on getting the real work done.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: