Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 04:03:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is necrobumping and unsubstantial posts?  (Read 954 times)
Gaugh (OP)

Activity: 135
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 08:50:53 PM

I will like to know the meaning of necrobumping and unsubstantial posts.

I thought unsubstantial posts were always deleted as being off-topic so how can an account be banned for making unsubstantial posts?

Why is the post simply not just deleted?

Thanks.
AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 09:24:53 PM

I will like to know the meaning of necrobumping and unsubstantial posts.
Necrobumping is when a user posts in a thread that is somewhat old and dead.
I am not aware of how many days/months would need to pass to be considered a true
necrobump on this forum, but ultimately IMO, if a user posts in a thread that is over
1 month old and does not add to the discussion in any substantive important way (such as
updates or previously unknown info) then that user has reactivated a dead thread and caused
it to be placed at the top of the list of currently discussed threads, thus necrobumped it.

Unsubstantial posts is when a user posts in a thread and that posting is worthless to the discussion.
So for example, a user posting, "wow this is so hard to understand, I'm glad people are working
on things like this" in a technical thread where complex coding is being discussed, that users comment
is just fluffy and worthless. If the user posting their comment or answer is not really adding to the
discussion and is just saying mindless garbage that can be said in any situation or other thread,
then it is an unsubstantial posting.

I thought unsubstantial posts were always deleted as being off-topic so how can an account be banned for making unsubstantial posts?
Mods usually only take actions such as deleting, banning, or etc when someone flags a post or thread
for review. The flag button is to the bottom right of each post and is called "Report to moderator".
When you flag a post, a mod will shortly review it and either take some action or not.
Sometimes mods will find that certain users are violating a specific rule or constantly making
unsubstantial posts, and then ban them for a period of time or forever depending on circumstances.
Most commonly, unsubstantial posts are made by users who are participating in signature campaigns.

Why is the post simply not just deleted?...
Mods can not spend all day reading the whole forum and deleting all unsubstantial posts.
When a mod bans a user for unsubstantial posts it is usually because that user is a major violator.

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
Slowturtleinc

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 11:33:57 PM

The necrobumping tends to be rarely because the person was really interested in the thread. Most of the time its trolling or bringing up a dead issue to rub in a targets face.
But there is a pattern I noticed in Feb. Where new accounts between 12-38 posts bump specifically from Nov. threads. They must be working some kind of posting bot or script. Have wanted a answer to this aspect for a well.
Lot of garbage responses go unnoticed till some one notices a signature connected or the last 5-8 posts in a forum are all one account.

██████████            Gunthar: Fast and Serious Lending Service
█████████       ●●●● ●●● - ●●● - ●●● - ●●● - ●●● - ●●● - ●●● ●●●●
██████████    ●●●● Don't loose your collateral: refinance with us ●●●●
Joel_Jantsen
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1310

Get your game girl

View Profile
April 26, 2016, 04:05:25 AM

The posts are deleted in the initial stages if you're making 4 out of 10 posts as non-constructive posts .Any newbie who is getting used to the forum might experience deletion of the posts first few days.If you're account farming or continuously making unsubstantial posts,you may end up getting your account banned.

If you wish to know what unsubstantial posts are ,go through the post history of a few YoShit campaigners.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2016, 07:44:29 AM

Since the others have explained to you what is and what isn't, I'll just answer this question. When you break the forum rules, there is going to be a consequence for doing such. Depending on the severity and the number of times that you've done is is what decides your punishment. Insubstantial or off-topic posts are also against the rules. However, you surely won't be banned for making a few of those (especially unintentionally, e.g. discussion has drifted away from original topic). On the other hand, if you keep ignoring the posts that get deleted and keep on doing this you will end up being punished (especially if you're in a signature campaign, i.e. have an incentive to do this).

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
April 28, 2016, 07:18:16 PM

I have never ever understood why people get upset about commenting on an old topic.
If it's a good topic or has good info or can be bumped instead of creating a new on the same matter why not ?
Obviously i don't think people should bump them with garbage.
But your not suppose to post garbage anyway..

Garbage to me is someone who simply posts a one line insult or "LOL" or similar.
I think it should be obvious when people post unsubstantial comments (sadly it is not)
I don't mean just here either.. many other forums online are REALLY bad for that.

Take for example XDA Mod's or the oldest members they do it a lot !
I see their oldest users posting comments that say nothing more than "LOL"
Then i read their giant 12 line rant in their SIG about "Forum Rules"
Then my eyes bleed from rolling them so hard at their moronic hypocrisy and childish flashing SIG images.

FUD first & ask questions later™
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2016, 10:45:11 PM

I have never ever understood why people get upset about commenting on an old topic.

If a thread has been abandoned for a sufficient amount of time, its probably for a reason. Resurrecting an old thread also brings attention to outdated threads like people selling miners for cheap and making comments on things years back which have no relevance today. No one ever notices its a really old thread and keeps quoting these old posts while arguing with them.

Just... make a new thread if there isn't a recently active one.

AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 28, 2016, 10:47:33 PM

If it's a good topic or has good info or can be bumped instead of creating a new on the same matter why not ?
Obviously i don't think people should bump them with garbage.
But your not suppose to post garbage anyway..

I think one of the major problems with necrobumping is really when other
people begin to jump on board and start commenting after the necrobumper.

For example in a old Satoshi thread, someone could necrobump it and say "Hi Satoshi,
where did you go? I hope you come back some day. Please rain your coins upon us. K thanks.".
Then next thing you know, there are like 15 new posts of signature campaigners or others that
follow all saying equally worthless comments or questions directly to Satoshi, like he'll answer.

When necrobumping occurs on this forum, IMO, 95% of the time it is inappropriate.

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2016, 10:53:47 PM

When necrobumping occurs on this forum, IMO, 95% of the time it is inappropriate.
The percentage is probably even higher in reality (I also recall deleting quite a number of these over time). Another bad factor here is that once someone resurrects this thread there is a chance that it will be noticed by signature spammers (who do not notice the date due to their swiftness) and thus an (usually) 'useless' discussion takes place.

If a thread has been abandoned for a sufficient amount of time, its probably for a reason.
Exactly.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: