Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 01:01:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: artificial 250kB limit?  (Read 1709 times)
jabetizo (OP)

Activity: 125
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2013, 12:50:53 AM

I've seen it mentioned on the forum many times that there's currently an "artificial" limit of 250kB per block, what does that mean, compared to the 1MB limit?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 12:54:53 AM

I've seen it mentioned on the forum many times that there's currently an "artificial" limit of 250kB per block, what does that mean, compared to the 1MB limit?

There was, and still is, an absolute block size limit of 1 MB. If a block exceeds this size, all Bitcoin clients will reject it, as standardized in the Bitcoin specification.

For miners running the Bitcoind mining client, there is now a 250 kB "artificial" limit. Blocks can still be created up to the 1 MB absolute limit; however, miners using the popular Bitcoind client (most solo miners and several pools) will no longer generate blocks larger than 250 kB. This is an experiment to see how the network reacts to greater competition for block space.

This "artificial" limit is ignored by several pools, notably Eligius.
jabetizo (OP)

Activity: 125
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2013, 01:28:30 AM

why don't all miners modify their client and use the 1MB limit so they can include more transactions and collect more transaction fees? it can't be because of propagation speed, if propagation speed was that important they would include no transactions at all Huh

dree12
Legendary

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 01:37:45 AM

why don't all miners modify their client and use the 1MB limit so they can include more transactions and collect more transaction fees? it can't be because of propagation speed, if propagation speed was that important they would include no transactions at all Huh

Because they are too lazy.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 01:40:37 AM

i imagine that 250kb is enough space to include all transactions with transaction fees. In all but the rarest circumastances, only transactions with no transaction fees included would be excluded due to this size limit.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 02:00:57 AM

i imagine that 250kb is enough space to include all transactions with transaction fees. In all but the rarest circumastances, only transactions with no transaction fees included would be excluded due to this size limit.

This, and they have an interest in seeing how the experiment plays out.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 04:34:52 AM

I suspect part of the experiment is to see how many miners are perfectly happy with the reduced size, and how many decide that they might increase their revenue by choosing some other software that will allow them to include more transaction.  The act of deciding to stay with the artificial limit or switch to some other software provides significant feedback.
cabin

Activity: 604
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 08:48:52 PM

Different miners have different issues too.. for example P2Pool miners have a big incentive to keep their local bitcoin running very fast since they are dealing with a 10 second share block chain as opposed to 10 minutes. If their node is taking even 1 second to do transaction calculations and serve work to their miner then they will have a larger stale rate and be losing money. This was a real issue in the 0.7 bitcoin releases, the 0.8 releases are a lot faster but to get sub-second response times I had to limit the size to 100k on 0.7x.
Gavin Andresen
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2013, 09:01:05 PM

A couple of minor clarifications:

There has always been an artificial block size limit; Satoshi's code exponentially increased required transaction fees required to get into a block as the block filled up from 250K to an absolute-maximum 500K. There are almost certainly still miners running with that algorithm; their effective maximum block size is a little more than 250K.

Also, solo/p2p miners and pool operators running a recent version of bitcoind can very easily change the maximum block size; it is a command-line / bitcoin.conf setting. They don't need to use different software.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2013, 09:11:15 PM

So the current one megabyte hard limit is already double the limit Satoshi originally put in place?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 09:51:38 PM

There has always been an artificial block size limit; Satoshi's code exponentially increased required transaction fees required to get into a block as the block filled up from 250K to an absolute-maximum 500K. There are almost certainly still miners running with that algorithm; their effective maximum block size is a little more than 250K.

Thanks for the history. I wasn't aware of this.  Sometimes I forget that I'm a relative newcomer to bitcoin.

Also, solo/p2p miners and pool operators running a recent version of bitcoind can very easily change the maximum block size; it is a command-line / bitcoin.conf setting. They don't need to use different software.

I made an assumption there. I hadn't realized that is was just a configuration file change.  That's a pretty low barrier to increasing the maximum blocksize to 1 MB.  Sounds like there isn't a whole lot of
for a larger blocksize just yet.  At least not among miners.
Gavin Andresen
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 12:13:00 AM

So the current one megabyte hard limit is already double the limit Satoshi originally put in place?
No, the hard limit has been 1 megabyte forever. But 500K was the largest block Satoshi's code could possibly build (I believe that that wasn't even possible in practice, because you'd have to spend all 21 million bitcoins in fees to fill it to 500K).

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 12:35:19 AM

Wow. So lets see if I have this right. Only people who use custom hacks ever made blocks over half a meg, right now only people who don't keep up with new versions and people who use custom hacks build blocks larger than a quarter meg, a vast proportion of transactions are gamblers yelling at the world about their lack of luck, free transactions reliably get into the blockchain in large numbers every day, even paid transactions are laughably dirt-cheap, we have yet to see how much impact Ripple will have on keeping transactions off the blockchain, but we "need" to raise the size limit?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Peter Todd
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1150

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 12:40:19 AM

Wow. So lets see if I have this right. Only people who use custom hacks ever made blocks over half a meg, right now only people who don't keep up with new versions and people who use custom hacks build blocks larger than a quarter meg, a vast proportion of transactions are gamblers yelling at the world about their lack of luck, free transactions reliably get into the blockchain in large numbers every day, even paid transactions are laughably dirt-cheap, we have yet to see how much impact Ripple will have on keeping transactions off the blockchain, but we "need" to raise the size limit?

Nobody is saying we need to raise the size limit now. I brought the issue up because we need off-chain alternatives, and those alternatives take time to create. Ripple is one alternative, and I'm glad to see people working on it, but competition is a good thing and multiple alternatives should be pursued.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 12:41:33 AM

- snip -
but we "need" to raise the size limit?

-MarkM-

Stitch in time . . .
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 12:57:05 AM

Stitch in time . . .

Stitch in time is one thing, building in an always-on knitting-machine on full auto is quite another.

-MarkM-

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 01:07:06 AM

Stitch in time . . .
Stitch in time is one thing, building in an always-on knitting-machine on full auto is quite another.

-MarkM-

I thought you were asking why "we need to raise the size limit".  Did I misunderstand the question?
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 01:45:11 AM
Last edit: February 20, 2013, 02:16:58 AM by markm

The *...* emphasis was basically an attempt to differentiate "will eventually someday quite likely really really seem to actually right then urgently need" from "we right now do urgently need it, we are losing adoption rate and suffering lowering exchange rates every hour or day we fail to get a higher limit into use".

Yes the apparent/seeming "need" will tend to tend upwards.

But, constantly pulling the rug out from under infrastructure development that also will tend to seem more and more "needed" in a basically fundamentally doomed attempt to turn the world's highest difficulty currency-of-final-international-settlement into a retail payment processor so people can buy penny candy using e-currency despite no longer having pennies in the snailmail world doesn't seem a productive response.

We not only have 1 megabyte per ten minutes of international final settlement transaction space, we also have, secured by that same hashing power, several other sets of blocks (namecoin, devcoin, ixcoin, i0ccoin, groupcoin, coiledcoin, and it is easy to add more) that have already established tendencies to cater to lower-value transactions (by using lower-value coins).

So if people still feel a need to spam out to the world trivially small value transactions (which to the primary chain might mean less than a few thousand dollars worth, to the first secondary chain might mean less than a few hundred dollars worth, to the second primary chain might mean less than tens of dollars worth (at this early stage; later multiply all those figures by a power of ten from time to time as adoption proceeds)...

So plenty of space is out there for low-value transactions, and more can be added very easily and modularly (add another chain, add another chain, all the time each chain remaining fully and easily within the capabilities of a single home computer on a home internet connection to fully verify).

-MarkM-

dree12
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 02:04:01 AM

The *...* emphasis was basically an attempt to differentiate "will eventually comeday quite likely really really seem to actually right then urgently need" from "we right now do urgently need it, we are losing adoption rate and suffering lowering exchange rates every hour or day we fail to get a higher limit into use".

Yes the apparent/seeming "need" will tend to tend upwards.

But, constantly pulling the rug out from under infrastructure development that also will tend to seem more and more "needed" in a basically fundamentally doomed attempt to turn the world's highest difficulty currency-of-final-international-settlement into a retail payment processor so people can buy penny candy using e-currency despite no longer having pennies in the snailmail world doesn't seem a productive response.

We not only have 1 megabyte per ten minutes of international final settlement transaction space, we also have, secured by that same hashing power, several other sets of blocks (namecoin, devcoin, ixcoin, i0ccoin, groupcoin, coiledcoin, and it is easy to add more) that have already established tendencies to cater to lower-value transactions (by using lower-value coins).

So if people still feel a need to spam out to the world trivially small value transactions (which to the primary chain might mean less than a few thousand dollars worth, to the first secondary chain might mean less than a few hundred dollars worth, to the second primary chain might mean less thans of dollars worth (at this early stage; later multiply all those figures by a power of ten from time to time as adoption proceeds).

So plenty of space is out there for low-value transactions, and more can be added very easily and moidularly (add another chain, add another chain, all the time each chain remaining fully and easily within the capabilities of a single home computer on a home internet connection to fully verify).

-MarkM-

While it's true that Bitcoin adoption is outpacing hardware growth in the moment, this trend will not last. I'm in the midst of writing an essay that goes deeper. Hopefully my calculations will allow us to move forward together, rather than bicker about how necessary a size increase is.
HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 01:21:05 PM

No, the hard limit has been 1 megabyte forever.

Why there is such limit?

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
Peter Todd
Legendary
expert

Merit: 1150

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 02:10:34 PM

No, the hard limit has been 1 megabyte forever.

Why there is such limit?

Because if we don't have a limit, your ability to mine isn't a function of how much hashing power you have, the thing that protects us against 51% attackers, it's a function of how much network bandwidth you have, something 51% attackers need none of. Bigger blocks mean more money uselessly spent on network bandwidth, rather than what actually keeps Bitcoin secure.

See my post here, as well as other viewpoints on the issue.

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: