Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 02:57:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 21m. No censorship. Open-Source. Permissionless. Pseudonymous...  (Read 536 times)
flix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1227
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 09:39:21 PM

21 million coins.
No censorship.
Open-Source.
Permissionless.
Pseudonymous.
Fungible.
Irreversible Transactions.

To me these are the fundamental principles of Bitcoin. If any of these was changed I would find it hard to continue to call the network Bitcoin.

As Bitcoin grows many newcomers will have their own ideas and want to change even these all-important aspects.

What can we do to set them in stone? Or at least to make them last as long as possible?
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 10:14:15 PM

What can we do to set them in stone? Or at least to make them last as long as possible?

What we've been doing so far: raise our voice in favor or against proposed changes. The recent blocksize debate was an example.
r1973

Activity: 191
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 10:17:09 PM

Run a bitcoin core, at the least - to enforce these rules
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 10:50:49 PM

Do your bit to make bitcoin bigger than it already is. The more people know about it, and the more they use it the more resistant they'd be to attempts to undermine those principles.
X badapple X

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 11:14:48 PM

21 million coins.
No censorship.
Open-Source.
Permissionless.
Pseudonymous.
Fungible.
Irreversible Transactions.

To me these are the fundamental principles of Bitcoin. If any of these was changed I would find it hard to continue to call the network Bitcoin.

As Bitcoin grows many newcomers will have their own ideas and want to change even these all-important aspects.

Are you suggesting that some [newcomer?] is trying to go against the points you listed? Or that they may?
If 99% of Bitcoin users/miners want to fork it to something you don't like, I doubt there's much you can do to stop it Undecided
tobacco123

Activity: 552
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 25, 2016, 12:49:39 AM

My understand is that the bitcoin protocol can be changed in any way provided we have the "consensus" from everyone. There is no way to set anything in stone.

However, it is extremely difficult to achieve that.

7788bitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1023

View Profile
April 25, 2016, 03:07:10 AM

The values are in the protocol and the code. To change them requires a hard fork, but a contentious hard fork is impossible, as was demonstrated by the classic hard fork failure.
SFR10
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 3439

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2016, 04:06:06 AM

Good points however base on my understanding, the written codes by "Satoshi" is what developers have been following and will be following for the years to come, unless a big percentage disagree with him (in which I doubt since everything is going well, even though with some rough edges here and there), and that be the issue into pushing it to be changed somehow (not sure if possible though). Bottom line, most you've mentioned, aren't going to be change until the end since their the reason what many use it in the first place.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████