Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 06:22:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What makes a coin valuable?  (Read 1641 times)
robelneo
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 1206

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2016, 06:38:59 AM

From my little experience i have come to realize that some coin rise and fall and completely useless while some rise and soar higher and higher and this brought me to my question what makes a coin valuable?.
=================================================================================
I dont know if this is the right section to post this but i need contributions and probably we might have a better coins in future.
Many things contribute to the success of a coin but the main part is features once it has a lot of good features services and adoption and community support once it has all of this it will become valuable to the eyes of traders and investors,there should be a big investors to the coins

JosNekoKopa

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 29, 2016, 11:22:53 AM

I never thought that situation from television will be mapped on the crypto world, where people investing on promises and fancy colored and designed announcements..Many good coins here are already few years old and don't have any attention, but majority of them deserve it..
fortunecrypto
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1047

thecryptocurrency.directory

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2016, 01:13:33 PM

I never thought that situation from television will be mapped on the crypto world, where people investing on promises and fancy colored and designed announcements..Many good coins here are already few years old and don't have any attention, but majority of them deserve it..

I totally agree with you,some of them not majority are really into it to just make a quick bucks but there are few who made it mainstream but because they have devs who knows what majority of crypto coins holders are looking and on top of that they know to market their projects..

spartak_t
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1176

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2016, 01:30:57 PM

Developers has nothing to do with the success of their coins. A coin does not need too much gimmicks in order to succeed. Many people think that features are very important, but that's not true, because of one simple reason - they are confusing for the general crowd. The key of success imho is simplicity. You have a lot more chance for better adoption if you keep things simple. People need to know the answers of these questions:
- what is this?
- how can I use it?
- why should I use it?
That's about it.

Capitascism

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 29, 2016, 01:39:48 PM

Everything is related to human greed. Hype is just weapon, they use the human weakness - whales are masterminds in this game. You can earn much money this way, and chances are pretty good, so that is why. There is no real value at all! Roll Eyes

*************************Too many scams beware******************************************
robelneo
Legendary

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2016, 03:39:03 PM

Developers has nothing to do with the success of their coins. A coin does not need too much gimmicks in order to succeed. Many people think that features are very important, but that's not true, because of one simple reason - they are confusing for the general crowd. The key of success imho is simplicity. You have a lot more chance for better adoption if you keep things simple. People need to know the answers of these questions:
- what is this?
- how can I use it?
- why should I use it?
That's about it.

Now it changes everything from what I've known about crypto currency so if ever there's problem on the nodes or the block explorers or the nodes or any components of the coins who will fix that I think developers plays a crucial on the development of any coins,I am not a developer but you can always correct me..

spartak_t
Legendary

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2016, 03:43:48 PM

- what is this?
- how can I use it?
- why should I use it?
That's about it.

Now it changes everything from what I've known about crypto currency so if ever there's problem on the nodes or the block explorers or the nodes or any components of the coins who will fix that I think developers plays a crucial on the development of any coins,I am not a developer but you can always correct me..

We are assuming that we have a coin with working blockchain, but forget about that and answer this - what exactly Satoshi Nakamoto does for Bitcoin? Grin

bitdumper

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

One world One currency, Bitcoin.

View Profile
April 29, 2016, 03:54:55 PM

We the users of the coin make it valuable. Bitcoin was same in January 2009 as it is today. Then nobody wanted it, it was very cheap, pizza for 10k Btc. Now everybody wants it and it's booming.

BitcoinNational
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1010

Join The Blockchain Revolution In Logistics

View Profile
April 29, 2016, 04:09:35 PM

- what is this?
- how can I use it?
- why should I use it?
That's about it.

spartak_t is on the money.

And if you are dependent on the dev for "explorers or the nodes" you are invested in the wrong coin.  
Those areas are completely the responsibility of the community, if not at launch, then eventually, so the better the sooner.

Devs (re)create good code, it compiles for WinMacLx, and that's it.  Have that shit in triplicate on a github.  The dev can pull a Satoshi ... p000ff!

Very few of the gimmicky special features panned out to much more than techno babble hype.
Most just created buggy vaporware.  

▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
           ▄████▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▄
         ▄████████████████▄▄▄███████
       ▄█████████████████████████████
     ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████████▄
   ▄████████▀█▀███▀        ███████████
 ▄████████▀███             ███████████
▄███████▀████                ██████████▄
███████████▀                  ██████████
 ██████▄████                   ██████▄███
  ██████▄████                 ▄█████████
   ██████▄████              ▄██████████
    ██████▄█████▄▄▄▄▄     ▄████████▀
     ██████▄████████████▄████████▀█▀██▀
      ██████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀█▀██▀
       ██████████████████████▀█▀█▀
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀
                      ▀██▀▀
─────────────────
Revolutionized.  ──

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ █████████████▀█████ ██
██ ███ ▀█████▀      ▀█ ██
██ ███     ▀▀      ▐██ ██
██ ███▌            ███ ██
██ ████▌          ▄███ ██
██ ██████       ▄█████ ██
██ ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

██ ████████████▀▀▀████ ██
██ ████████▀▀     ████ ██
██ █████▀    ▄▀  ▐████ ██
██ ██▀     ▄▀    ▐████ ██
██ ████▄▄ █▀     █████ ██
██ ██████ ▄▄█   ▐█████ ██
██ ████████████ ██████ ██
.WHITEPAPER.
ANN Thread
Reddit

█████
██
██ █
██ █
██ █
   █

─────────────  Join
SMARC token ICO

█████
   ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █
robelneo
Legendary

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2016, 04:11:04 PM

- what is this?
- how can I use it?
- why should I use it?
That's about it.

We are assuming that we have a coin with working blockchain, but forget about that and answer this - what exactly Satoshi Nakamoto does for Bitcoin? Grin

It was different back then but there are people who still manage the bitcoin network,but with so many altcoins competing the devs plays a crucial role I will not invest in a coin with a developer that seldom updates about his projects

Red-Apple

Merit: 655

View Profile
April 29, 2016, 04:26:40 PM

there are a lot of things that can affect the price of an altcoin and make it "valuable" some have big effect and some of them have small effect.

off the top of my mind i can say the biggest effect comes from hype (you can see Ethereum's history which is 99% hype that caused the rise), also the coin has to have some initial factors like a good development team who are active and changing the coin for the better. also the coin should have some attractive (useful?) features too, in order to be able to rise at all.

but apart from that there is always manipulation, pump and dump that changes the price so much too.

--signature space for rent; sent PM--
spartak_t
Legendary

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2016, 04:27:36 PM

It was different back then but there are people who still manage the bitcoin network,but with so many altcoins competing the devs plays a crucial role I will not invest in a coin with a developer that seldom updates about his projects

Why? The developer is responsible for launching the coin and make sure that everything is working. He is not obliged to post updates every now and then, because here is where the community steps in. I, for example, am part of cryptocurrency called FAILCoin, and our lead developer didn't posted a single word in our thread, yet the coin is more than 2 years old. The developers (with few exceptions) who post frequently cannot be considered as serious. Their work is not to pet the "investors".

robelneo
Legendary

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2016, 05:20:36 PM

Why? The developer is responsible for launching the coin and make sure that everything is working. He is not obliged to post updates every now and then, because here is where the community steps in. I, for example, am part of cryptocurrency called FAILCoin, and our lead developer didn't posted a single word in our thread, yet the coin is more than 2 years old. The developers (with few exceptions) who post frequently cannot be considered as serious. Their work is not to pet the "investors".

This is a new approach very different from what I experience all altcoins are the same but it's the dev who can market the coin and  can offer more updates are the worth worth investing and I guess this is what traders and investors are looking for an altcoin..

jethrorn99

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 29, 2016, 05:56:56 PM

A coin will be valuable if it's used a lot by a lot of people.

Or it became valuable if the price is high.

boomboom

Activity: 1068
Merit: 523

View Profile
April 30, 2016, 06:09:41 AM

In theory BitcoinNational's list. In reality hype and price manipulation... I mean marketing. Some of the technologically most advanced coins are dying while some well marketed useless craps are flying high.

XCN cryptonite with its mini-blockchain is a case study in the power of (no) hype .... a coin with a useful and needed innovation and it's dying in the toilet coz nobody knows about it much
spartak_t
Legendary

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2016, 06:58:12 AM

XCN cryptonite with its mini-blockchain is a case study in the power of (no) hype .... a coin with a useful and needed innovation and it's dying in the toilet coz nobody knows about it much

I know nothing about CryptoNite, but seriously, are you joking?

BitcoinNational
Legendary

Merit: 1010

Join The Blockchain Revolution In Logistics

View Profile
April 30, 2016, 08:06:38 AM

must have wild inflation too, that's massive gains in MC.
no XCN is on the map, needs some cooling off too.

▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
           ▄████▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▄
         ▄████████████████▄▄▄███████
       ▄█████████████████████████████
     ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████████▄
   ▄████████▀█▀███▀        ███████████
 ▄████████▀███             ███████████
▄███████▀████                ██████████▄
███████████▀                  ██████████
 ██████▄████                   ██████▄███
  ██████▄████                 ▄█████████
   ██████▄████              ▄██████████
    ██████▄█████▄▄▄▄▄     ▄████████▀
     ██████▄████████████▄████████▀█▀██▀
      ██████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀█▀██▀
       ██████████████████████▀█▀█▀
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀
                      ▀██▀▀
─────────────────
Revolutionized.  ──

██ █████████████▀█████ ██
██ ███ ▀█████▀      ▀█ ██
██ ███     ▀▀      ▐██ ██
██ ███▌            ███ ██
██ ████▌          ▄███ ██
██ ██████       ▄█████ ██
██ ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████ ██

██ ████████████▀▀▀████ ██
██ ████████▀▀     ████ ██
██ █████▀    ▄▀  ▐████ ██
██ ██▀     ▄▀    ▐████ ██
██ ████▄▄ █▀     █████ ██
██ ██████ ▄▄█   ▐█████ ██
██ ████████████ ██████ ██
.WHITEPAPER.
ANN Thread
Reddit

█████
██
██ █
██ █
██ █
   █

─────────────  Join
SMARC token ICO

█████
   ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █
MedaR
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 1026

View Profile
April 30, 2016, 10:09:08 AM

Value of coin is directly proportional with strength of its community, so when community start hyping you can expect miracles. Everything is related to community, they are early adopters and they are first users. Value of coin will rise with rise of community and rise of number of new users - demand..
What makes demand? Probably possibility for making of big money. Promising good new technologies that have good potential. New good ideas..

You can rent this space
BitcoinHodler

Activity: 1456
Merit: 578

HODLing is an art, not just a word...

View Profile
April 30, 2016, 10:51:31 AM

Value of coin is directly proportional with strength of its community, so when community start hyping you can expect miracles. Everything is related to community, they are early adopters and they are first users. Value of coin will rise with rise of community and rise of number of new users - demand..
What makes demand? Probably possibility for making of big money. Promising good new technologies that have good potential. New good ideas..

i believe all these things you said about the potential and good new technology can be true and effective, although i think in the altcoin market and at least about 95% of them the price is only being controlled by the hype.
some coin releases a new wallet the price rises, developer posts a comment the price rises, and alot more that sometimes doesn't even make sense

Holding Bitcoin More Every Day
spartak_t
Legendary

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2016, 11:02:06 AM

99.9% of the altcoins (except the ones, which are already well established) are pretty much useless.
You must understand that technology is already out there, and we should focus on adoption, instead of adding few gimmicks here and there.
I can give you an example with the so called "anonymous coins", which promise you to keep your privacy.
Come on, do you think that any serious business could accept them as a way of payment?

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: