Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:24:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Save any files to namecoin blockchain  (Read 7550 times)
running (OP)

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 01:47:16 AM

I found a way to save any arbitrary files to namecoin blockchain.

I think this can be kind of big.

See: https://github.com/runn1ng/namecoin-files

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Simran

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 01:50:13 AM

Really cool, man! Another way to take an advantage of cryptos!

*Image Removed*
Donate LTC: LRgbgTa3XNQSEUhnwC6Ye2vjiCV2CNRpib
Donate BTC: 1AGP6xPTRvsAVhsRsBX13NUH6p6LJjyeiA
nethead

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 02:11:57 AM

sounds good but if ppl start to store files in the blockchain, in a month from now we would need 50tb hdisks just for the nmc blockchain
Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 03:44:37 AM

It would probably be better to store the files somewhere else but use the blockchain to reference them somehow.

+1 for a distributed pirate bay though  Smiley

Edit: I wonder if you could use it to store GPG keys instead of on the server at MIT.

Sunny King
Legendary

Activity: 1205
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 04:16:53 AM

lol okay you must be joking right? If this gets popular namecoin would become unusable very quickly.

Time to raise spam fees I think  Wink

Although seriously I have been talking about supporting database usage in ppcoin for a while. Now you just made me think twice about current transaction fee model to regulate the demand on block chain storage.
running (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 09:08:48 AM

well right now the only things there are my experiments Smiley so no need to panic
FuzzyBear
Legendary

Activity: 1420

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 09:26:46 AM

Yeah, I am very excited by this so excellent detective work running Smiley

Yeah sunny, my thoughts were that if it can be done to namecoin then surely it can be done to any coin?? so this poses a potential threat to all currencies right? just as much as someone could 51% attack a chain with enough hashing power... anyone could also now bloat the blockchain with enough power / time and kill anyone with small HDD right and ruin the blockchain for that currency?

***** Earn DEV at http://devtome.com *****
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 09:27:41 AM

Well what if you stored the link to the attachment, and the decryption key, so that the file can be stored, encrypted, somewhere else, and you can find the link via NMC?

more or less retired.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 11:49:24 AM

Couldn't you then also save Torrent Trackers to Namecoin as well?

more or less retired.
nethead

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 11:52:06 AM

so this poses a potential threat to all currencies right? just as much as someone could 51% attack a chain with enough hashing power... anyone could also now bloat the blockchain with enough power / time and kill anyone with small HDD right and ruin the blockchain for that currency?

oh I hope that it doesnt work on other blockchains  Embarrassed
running (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 11:57:43 AM

Yeah sunny, my thoughts were that if it can be done to namecoin then surely it can be done to any coin?? so this poses a potential threat to all currencies right? just as much as someone could 51% attack a chain with enough hashing power... anyone could also now bloat the blockchain with enough power / time and kill anyone with small HDD right and ruin the blockchain for that currency?

not really, first you cannot sava arbitrary data to bitcoin transactions (in theory you can, but the nodes will not relay it, so you can't). Also, there is some anti-spamming protection in bitcoin client. And lastly, miners can just ignore the requests if the fees are low enough.

Which will probably happen anyway with namecoin if my way of saving files becomes popular. (people in general don't like illegal data on their disks. also it does not scale at all.)

I am thinking of making some simple GUI to this, though. It is still too complicated with the need to run namecoind from bash and so on
DPony13

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 12:17:29 PM

NMC paid storage?

EndTheFed123, if you had just taken the money it wouldn't have ended like this Sad
BTW this hasn't been the real DPony13 since he "came back", I just hacked this account, SirLolicon is the real DPony13 I think.
Sunny King
Legendary

Activity: 1205

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 05:00:19 PM
Last edit: February 20, 2013, 08:22:42 PM by Sunny King

It's much easier to do with namecoin via its API of 'name_new', 'name_firstupdate' and 'name_show'. With other coins there is no such api available so it needs to create the data transaction itself, and retrieve it back and parse it via maybe getrawtransaction, and it also needs to track transaction id and possibly embed some data structure to link multiple transactions for a file, or maintain its own persistent index. It's a lot more work but in theory doable.

The only thing preventing a flood of data/spam is the transaction fee and maximum block size. Altcoins are more vulnerable to these issues because the fees are much lower compared to bitcoin right now.

namecoin fee is 0.005 per KB, or 5 coins per MB, 5000 coins per GB. Given the current exchange rate, that's about $200~$300 per GB, not much money to cause real pain for the entire network.

I am not really too worried just kidding. Still most likely ppcoin will eventually support database use like namecoin. And kudos to Running for the excellent work  Wink
midnightmagic

Activity: 88
Merit: 37

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 05:35:43 PM

Please do NOT use namecoin as arbitrary storage. This is not its function; you are risking irritating people enough to hardfork. At the moment, namecoin's growth is small and measured. I am fairly sure that the current users are not interested in storing your data.
running (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 05:45:34 PM

Please do NOT use namecoin as arbitrary storage. This is not its function; you are risking irritating people enough to hardfork. At the moment, namecoin's growth is small and measured. I am fairly sure that the current users are not interested in storing your data.

AFAIK, namecoin can be used as general persistent key/value storage. (It is even encouraged on the wiki - http://dot-bit.org/Use_cases )

If it can be used as such, it can be used to store files, too, if they are encoded correctly.

If miners won't want to accept these transactions they won't. Free market and so on.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 07:44:55 AM

I think it's time pools shut off NMC support...

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 07:58:57 AM

Someone should upload a trojan horse.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 08:29:30 AM

this will be much to slow to be practical. links to encrypted torrent files or mega on the other hand...
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1028

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2013, 09:16:17 AM

I think it's time pools shut off NMC support...
That's dumb; there's 3GB of satoshidice crap on my hard drive because pools aren't shutting that off...

Experimenting is fine, but this brings up the point of setting a reasonable fee on Namecoin for name registration again: http://dot-bit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2954#p2954 and for pools to pick up such a new version when it is released.

The cost of a name is about 25 for a USD penny.
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 09:16:59 AM

this will be much to slow to be practical. links to encrypted torrent files or mega on the other hand...

MEGACOIN
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: