Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 07:50:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Congratulations to Valve and BitPay - that's what we need to hear  (Read 760 times)
vm_mpn (OP)

Activity: 605
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 28, 2016, 07:02:10 PM

“Valve reached out to us because they were looking for a fast, international payment method for Steam users in emerging gaming markets in countries like India, China, and Brazil,” Rory Desmond, Bitpay’s director of business development for North America and APAC, wrote in a blog post. “While more users are coming online in in these countries, traditional payment options like credit cards often aren’t available.”

http://fortune.com/2016/04/28/steam-gaming-bitcoin/
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 28, 2016, 07:15:15 PM

Good for us, good for Valve and good for people in these countries... Valve has a history of thinking on their customers and this matches their philosophy truly. All while making a profit and developing amazing games Cheesy
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2016, 07:17:20 PM

The interesting fact here is that Valve reached out to them (if true). I initially thought that it was vice-versa (I do remember some statement 2-3 years ago about not wanting to deal with Bitcoin).

“While more users are coming online in in these countries, traditional payment options like credit cards often aren’t available.”
This is why Bitcoin is quite good. It is always worth noting that it is cheaper than traditional payment options (however, acquiring it might not be (e.g. exchange fees)).

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
_Victory_

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 28, 2016, 08:46:52 PM

Before this news broke, I was thinking that we need more BTC adoption and that adoption rates were not as fast as I hoped.
Then through the power of negative thinking I see this article.  Grin
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 28, 2016, 08:58:56 PM

The interesting fact here is that Valve reached out to them (if true). I initially thought that it was vice-versa (I do remember some statement 2-3 years ago about not wanting to deal with Bitcoin).

“While more users are coming online in in these countries, traditional payment options like credit cards often aren’t available.”
This is why Bitcoin is quite good. It is always worth noting that it is cheaper than traditional payment options (however, acquiring it might not be (e.g. exchange fees)).

It's clear that Valve finally woke up to the reality of things here and realized the fact that they would never get a worldwide public buying games unless they accepted Bitcoin, because traditional banking will never alow for worldwide payments in those remote areas. I mean it's pretty crazy to think that you can buy games no anywhere in the world as long as you have an internet connection.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4489

View Profile
April 28, 2016, 09:04:29 PM

well if you check your research you will see that bitpay does not do very much cold calling customers. there are many instances where bitpay were literally handed direct contact details of company decision makers hoping bitpay would introduce bitcoin to them... but.. no result

in my view bitpay cares more about grabbing FIAT companies that want to fund bitpay with fiat, rather than retailers that want to use their service accept bitcoin from customers to cash out fiat to the retailer.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2016, 09:16:15 PM

It's clear that Valve finally woke up to the reality of things here and realized the fact that they would never get a worldwide public buying games unless they accepted Bitcoin, because traditional banking will never alow for worldwide payments in those remote areas.
I disagree with this statement because it is based on a generalization. You can't really know whether they've 'realized' something or not, nor can you know whether traditional banking will allow payments from remote areas. This might be true but we can't say for certain whether it is.

I mean it's pretty crazy to think that you can buy games no anywhere in the world as long as you have an internet connection.
In theory, yes.

Before this news broke, I was thinking that we need more BTC adoption and that adoption rates were not as fast as I hoped.
Stop being greedy. 1 BTC is always equal to 1 BTC.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
April 28, 2016, 09:58:02 PM

I was checking for it on my steam account when i heard the news, but couldnt find bitcoin under payment options, now i checked it again
and voila - it's there ! Thats some good news indeed, i just hope other bigger companies that thus far didnt - will follow steam's lead now
Evildrum

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
April 28, 2016, 09:59:01 PM

Online gaming is big and hopefully a connection can work out between the two that promotes bitcoin more in the future.
Something that raised my eyebrows the other day was reading Microsoft was stepping away from its gaming console,when it is the most profitable of all consoles to pursue other aspects. So virtual reality is coming from PS,maybe(hopefully) Microsoft is working on something similar.
The online aspect will slowly have to morph as well to keep up with that trend once it starts or end up like atari did in the gaming world.

Good news but I hope its not on the end of a boom and more at the middle is what I should have stated.

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange - Over 350 coins
█████████    <<  ● $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$   >>
██████████    <<  ● Play DICE! Win 1-5 btc just for 5 mins!  >>
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 28, 2016, 10:17:04 PM

Then through the power of negative thinking I see this article.  Grin

I do not use Steam, but will probably try it soon.
Great news for Bitcoin.  Smiley

Monnt
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 28, 2016, 10:20:26 PM

Sucks that here in Australia, everyone has a credit card. I don't think that bitcoin will come to Steam in Australia soon :-/

Why the hell does America get it first?!?!?  Angry
GreenBits
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
April 28, 2016, 10:25:20 PM

I do not use Steam, but will probably try it soon.
Great news for Bitcoin.  Smiley

This pretty much made my mind up for getting a SteamBox rather than the next gen of console. Way more titles, that are decent because guys are trying to build their brands, and I don't have to use Gyft  to generate a PSN card. Sign me up.

Also, I have a strong suspicion Steam is going to do the VR thing waaaay better than the majors. VR equipment seems kinda byo at the moment, perfect fit  Grin
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2016, 01:46:40 PM

Even where it is available, a lot of users still feel a little hesitant/vulnerable in using credit cards generally is my observation, whereas bitcoin makes it so much easier to buy stuff online without having to be worried about exposing your sensitive information. Great news this.
Bitcoin 1
Credit-Cards 0

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 29, 2016, 03:53:11 PM

I think it's extra meaningful the fact that it was Valve that approached Bitpay to start receiving Bitcoin payments instead of other way around. It clearly shows that Valve has seen the light and realized the fact that they not accepting Bitcoins yet in 2016 would make them look like morons in the future. Now they will be considered pioneers and all the other services will have to inevitably follow and start accepting Bitcoin yet if they want to compete in a global market that is about to explode.
jt byte

Activity: 994

View Profile
April 29, 2016, 04:03:34 PM
Last edit: April 29, 2016, 04:20:32 PM by jt byte

Sucks that here in Australia, everyone has a credit card. I don't think that bitcoin will come to Steam in Australia soon :-/

Why the hell does America get it first?!?!?  Angry
Cause Value is American they think of themselves first, so obviously they will offer it to their patriotic users as a priority for them  Roll Eyes
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2016, 07:04:05 PM

Even where it is available, a lot of users still feel a little hesitant/vulnerable in using credit cards generally is my observation, whereas bitcoin makes it so much easier to buy stuff online without having to be worried about exposing your sensitive information. Great news this.
I think that this problem is more inherent to the 'older generation'. I've almost encountered zero 'young' people that are hesitant when it comes to using CC's online. As an example, I know at least a a handful of people who won't even trust Amazon (not trusting it is beyond any kind of reason). The problem with Bitcoin is that it might be too hard for that generation (at this time).

This pretty much made my mind up for getting a SteamBox rather than the next gen of console.
I have no idea why you would want one of those. There are better choices (albeit a bit off-topic here).

Why the hell does America get it first?!?!?  Angry
You should not be surprised by this.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
calkob

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
April 29, 2016, 07:07:50 PM

Great news from to great companies, keep up the good work  Grin
lol3c

Activity: 518

View Profile
April 29, 2016, 07:19:23 PM

Do you think this news will get more people into bitcoin and will boost the price? This is an interesting move from steam guys. Wating for your opinions Smiley.
Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
April 29, 2016, 08:18:08 PM

Valve realized they could make a shitload of cash if they offered Bitcoin on top if their other payment methods already in action and tap into the Bitcoin wallets of people who are hesitant to use their credit cards or don't own any. Let's face it Valve aren't doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. I guess Valve's financial and strategic department evaluated that Bitcoin could bring in more profit for their business so they launched it. But anyways who cares we need the price of Bitcoin to go up right?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: