Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:42:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 50miner question: how to enable CPU mining  (Read 2922 times)
LEOcab (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 03:51:21 PM

I'm fairly new to Bitcoin mining. I have a Triplemining account as well as 50miner program installed in two computers. I don't have the best graphics chips (as you can see in the picture, lol) however one of the computers is dedicated to mining, so I would like to use its quad-core Phenom II for this purpose as well. What settings do I need to change? Right now I have the following settings, but it uses no more than 25% (one CPU core) at any given moment. Thanks in advance!

https://i.imgur.com/S8XLbLP.jpg

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
JordanL
Donator

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 03:55:20 PM

I don't know the exact numbers, but you will never make anything mining with a CPU these days.
LEOcab (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 03:57:14 PM

I don't know the exact numbers, but you will never make anything mining with a CPU these days.
Yeah, I know that CPU's are worthless compared to GPU's, but there's nothing else running on the CPU and it feels like a waste. It might make my 10BTC payout day come a few hours sooner! Tongue
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 04:03:43 PM

Useless.
And using your graphic card is useless too, you are wasting much more energy than what you "gain". 50mhash/s is almost nothing these days...

mjc

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Available on Kindle

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2013, 04:03:52 PM

check this out http://bitcoinsbs.wordpress.com/2013/01/16/how-much-mhash-does-it-take-to-mine-1-btc/

Kindle : Bitcoin Step by Step (2nd Ed) : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Kindle : Bitcoin Mining Step by Step : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Facebook :  https://www.facebook.com/BitcoinStepByStep     Twitter : @BitcoinSbS
LEOcab (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 04:09:08 PM

Useless.
And using your graphic card is useless too, you are wasting much more energy than what you "gain". 50mhash/s is almost nothing these days...
I don't pay for my electricity where I live. Plus I'm saving up to buy a ~525MH/s dual ATI cards. Smiley

Does that mean profits will go down for everyone soon? What's an ASIC?  Huh
dstriker

Activity: 28

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 04:31:22 PM

Application software on Integrate Circuit. 

There was CPU Mining which was replaced with GPU that 100x faster

Then there was FPGA mining that is more energy efficient than GPU.

Now ASIC which is about 50x faster than GPU and FPGA will render both a waste of energy.

My suggestion is that you read up on ASIC and not buy any GPU's.

Look at www.butterflylabs.com

If you haven't read that blog noted above, read it.  there are some other good posts on that site as well.
Aahzman

Activity: 602

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 04:38:16 PM

Now ASIC which is about 50x faster than GPU and FPGA will render both a waste of energy.

If you haven't read that blog noted above, read it.  there are some other good posts on that site as well.

Never seen that variation of the acronym before.

Application-Specific Integrated Circuit.

But you're absolutely right that he should take the money he's saving for a couple of ATI cards and plunk it down for a few Jalapenos or the $649 "little single" from BFL. far more hashpower per $.

LEOcab (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 04:39:25 PM

Yeah, I've been reading that. I also checked Butterfly Labs even before you mentioned it (found it on wiki hardware comparison sheet). Should I pre-order one of those ASICs then or will that be a waste of money? I mean, according to Butterfly forums they have 20k orders already so soon there will be 20k people with these monsters, LOL. I assume the return rate for mining will go down significantly. The question is, how significantly? If one were to buy the 30GH/s ASIC today, how long will it take to make back the $600? I would do the math myself but I'm too new to this stuff, I'd probably miss something. I hope I'm not being too newbie. Tongue
Aahzman

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 04:44:36 PM

Less time than it takes to earn back the money using a pair of ati gpus....

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 04:50:24 PM

Plus I'm saving up to buy a ~525MH/s dual ATI cards.
Not a good idea when there are already people mining with an ASIC paid 1300$ wich is more powerful than 250 cards.

Note that ordering an ASIC today means that it will arrive in... dunno, months. The people that today have their ASICs ordered them months ago.

Aahzman

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 05:50:15 PM

Plus I'm saving up to buy a ~525MH/s dual ATI cards.
Not a good idea when there are already people mining with an ASIC paid 1300$ wich is more powerful than 250 cards.

Note that ordering an ASIC today means that it will arrive in... dunno, months. The people that today have their ASICs ordered them months ago.

Sept 29 here! Cheesy I am positively tingling with excitement at the surely imminent shippitunity that is about to occur at BFL!

LEOcab (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 08:11:42 PM

Yeah, I see buying two ATIs right now is worthless. XD

Now I'm thinking of buying one of those ASICs from Butterfly Labs. From what I can gather in this forum, there's a 50/50 chance of it even being worth it at this point. The guys who bought it first are going to make a lot of money, but if I buy one right now I may never see my money back. I guess I'll let my lucky coin decide, hehe. Tongue

Someone correct me if I'm wrong: Assuming the difficulty factor is 20x of what it is right now by the time I receive the system, at 30MH/s I would make around 6 bitcoins per month, so it would take 3 to 4 months or so to recover my initial investment. Is that a fair guess?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: