Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:35:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is The Lightning Network ?  (Read 1080 times)
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6125

View Profile
April 29, 2016, 07:05:40 AM

So I was reading this : https://bitcoincore.org/en/2016/01/26/segwit-benefits/
I want to understand what is this Lightning network exactly ? is it making transaction even faster ? If it's the case then when we are supposed to see it ?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2016, 07:16:06 AM

Well, I don't think that the definition of LN (e.g. LN is X) has been used widely and even if you try searching for it you might fail to find one. The Lightning Network is supposed to represent complex, bi-directional payment channels. The idea behind it is that e.g. Alice and Bob open up a payment channel between them and lock X amount of funds (this process currently takes ~30 minutes, i.e. 3 confirmations) in it. What makes Lightning so 'special' here (in the terms of scalability) is that it enables a theoretically infinite amount of transactions between Alice and Bob without bloating the blockchain (imagine 1 million transactions between two partners, and only a single TX to settle on the main chain). Transacting within the LN is both instant and trust.less. It might even improve privacy at some point as there are potential unknown use cases.

If it's the case then when we are supposed to see it ?
IIRC someone said that a working implementation should be available soon (I assume beta).

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2016, 07:35:08 AM

Well, I don't think that the definition of LN (e.g. LN is X) has been used widely and even if you try searching for it you might fail to find one. The Lightning Network is supposed to represent complex, bi-directional payment channels. The idea behind it is that e.g. Alice and Bob open up a payment channel between them and lock X amount of funds (this process currently takes ~30 minutes, i.e. 3 confirmations) in it. What makes Lightning so 'special' here (in the terms of scalability) is that it enables a theoretically infinite amount of transactions between Alice and Bob without bloating the blockchain (imagine 1 million transactions between two partners, and only a single TX to settle on the main chain). Transacting within the LN is both instant and trust.less. It might even improve privacy at some point as there are potential unknown use cases.

If it's the case then when we are supposed to see it ?
IIRC someone said that a working implementation should be available soon (I assume beta).

I see , It sounds nice honestly but taht doesn't mean that the size of the blockchain won't increase right ? even if there is different transaction in one TX blockchain size should increase ?
so we should see this updates with SegWit , means Bitcoin Core 0.12.2 ?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Divinespark

Activity: 938
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 29, 2016, 07:36:10 AM

The lightning network will allow the network to scale by allowing the vast majority of transactions to happen off the blockchain
it's a secure micropayment channel

.AMEPAY..
█  FAST
█  CONVENIENT
█  SECURE
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
||$600,000
worth of AME
!
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 29, 2016, 07:38:26 AM

transaction should also be instant by the look of it, it should not be much different than having an off chain transaction, like with bitpay

from what i've understand they seem big centralized(or more centralized) node, that can rely almost infinite transaction instantly

there are some weakness that were pointed out on reddit, i need to check it again

The lightning network will allow the network to scale by allowing the vast majority of transactions to happen off the blockchain

network can scale with optimizations also, LN is not the only solution out there
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2016, 07:53:35 AM

I see , It sounds nice honestly but taht doesn't mean that the size of the blockchain won't increase right ?
It does not mean that indeed. However, technically you don't need to increase it (yet) as LN at 1 MB can accommodate a lot of users.

even if there is different transaction in one TX blockchain size should increase ?
What does this mean?

Segwit should come within 0.12.X (either 2 or three). I have no idea how they are going to finalize LN at the moment. There are multiple implementations and the advanced ones will come to some sort of agreement on the exact parameters.

P.S. Ignore the two posters under your post (pointless posts due to signature).

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Cuidler

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 29, 2016, 08:00:06 AM

Lightning network might help scale Bitcoin, but not by much in my opinion. The problem is it scales based on the two factors

1) how long your willing to lock your Bitcoins (the longer the better potential scaling, but the concept of depositing equivalent of several thousand $ to be able to spend anytime at let say starbuck for the next half year is so out of normal people behaviour who dont have big wealth reserves and just living from day to day with their expences)

2) the number of people willing to use such pre deposit and lock Bitcoins for longer period method

.Liqui Exchange.Trade and earn 24% / year on BTC, LTC, ETH
....Brand NEW..........................................Payouts every 24h. Learn more at official thread
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2016, 08:04:09 AM

I see , It sounds nice honestly but taht doesn't mean that the size of the blockchain won't increase right ?
It does not mean that indeed. However, technically you don't need to increase it (yet) as LN at 1 MB can accommodate a lot of users.

even if there is different transaction in one TX blockchain size should increase ?
What does this mean?

Segwit should come within 0.12.X (either 2 or three). I have no idea how they are going to finalize LN at the moment. There are multiple implementations and the advanced ones will come to some sort of agreement on the exact parameters.

P.S. Ignore the two posters under your post (pointless posts due to signature).

What I meant is , the blockchain (the 45gb file or whatever the current size) will have his size increased just like now ?
having multiple transactions in one TX won't change that ?

(I'm not speaking about the size of the block) which I suppose should be increased to 2mb next year if there is enough community support (no one knows how this is calculated anyway)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2016, 08:05:41 AM

The LN txs (apart from the channel opening and closing) are "off-chain" so they are not contributing to any size cost whatsoever.

It should also be noted that payment "routing" is also a key feature of the LN design (so you wouldn't need a separate channel for every possible service and/or goods provider you are paying).

Another important thing is that LN allows Bitcoin to become suitable for things like paying for "live streaming" (e.g. pay an amount per second) which is something Bitcoin itself could never scale up to do.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2016, 08:08:20 AM

Lightning network might help scale Bitcoin, but not by much in my opinion. The problem is it scales based on the two factors

1) how long your willing to lock your Bitcoins (the longer the better potential scaling, but the concept of depositing equivalent of several thousand $ to be able to spend anytime at let say starbuck for the next half year is so out of normal people behaviour who dont have big wealth reserves and just living from day to day with their expences)

2) the number of people willing to use such pre deposit and lock Bitcoins for longer period method
This doesn't necessarily have to be true. If Alice opens a channel with a Coffee Shop, that does not mean that Alice won't be able to pay anyone outside of it (hubs, wallet routing?). There isn't much different to keeping your coins within LN than keeping them in your wallet (if the infrastructure is there). Read (example of wallet routing, not hubs):

Again, the exact features have yet to be fully decided and implemented.

What I meant is , the blockchain (the 45gb file or whatever the current size) will have his size increased just like now ?
It will continue to increase at a similar pace as it is doing now.

having multiple transactions in one TX won't change that ?
What multiple transactions? You only need 1 TX to settle.

Update: Several corrections.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
akosimakulit

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 29, 2016, 08:18:09 AM

Lightning Network is it was proposed in the context of bitcoin but actually it also applies to sidechains which are an extension mechanism for bitcoins.
Cuidler

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 29, 2016, 08:23:39 AM

It should also be noted that payment "routing" is also a key feature of the LN design (so you wouldn't need a separate channel for every possible service and/or goods provider you are paying).

Thats the biggest issue because the "routing" is very centralized. Basically everyone lock their Bitcoins to one LN provider who has all the chanels open for every possible service and/or goods providers. If this turn out to be the case in the end (one dominant player where you have to lock your Bitcoins to use everywhere), I wont be using such highly centralized system at all...

Again, the exact features have yet to be fully decided and implemented.

If the decentralized routing can ever exist and is implemented then all fine. But unless I see working solution, I dont give it much faith its even possible.

.Liqui Exchange.Trade and earn 24% / year on BTC, LTC, ETH
....Brand NEW..........................................Payouts every 24h. Learn more at official thread
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2016, 08:27:31 AM

Thats the biggest issue because the "routing" is very centralized.

That will depend upon exactly how the design comes together (it isn't completed yet AFAIA).

Of course the more decentralised such routing is the better off we are in terms of having an anti-fragile network but also decentralisation does come at a performance cost (which is why off-chain solutions are required in order to boost the TPS to the same sorts of levels that networks such as VISA and Mastercard currently provide).

My prediction is that we'll probably end up with a somewhat centralised approach and I do agree that getting the balance right is going to be important.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2016, 08:33:56 AM

I wont be using such highly centralized system at all...
Nobody is forcing you to use it either. You are still free to transact solely on the main chain.

If the decentralized routing can ever exist and is implemented then all fine. But unless I see working solution, I dont give it much faith its even possible.
So (mostly) baseless doubting and skepticism is your approach here? LN is among the best proposals that we've seen so far. Unless someone comes up with something better, we are going in that direction. The question is not whether it is possible, the question is how and when (just talk to the developers and/or track the Github pages for more insight). Besides, without something of this kind you can forget about 'mainstream Bitcoin'.

My prediction is that we'll probably end up with a somewhat centralised approach and I do agree that getting the balance right is going to be important.
Decentralized routing is much harder than it sounds. We shall see what will happen.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3073

View Profile
April 29, 2016, 09:56:32 AM

To me, Lightning is just using the mempool (transactions that haven't cleared yet) as a scratchpad to assemble the most space efficient configuration for transactions before they hit the main chain. Users normally take that upon themselves, Lightning just does it for you in a way that would be too impractical for most users. That's kind of smart, because every tx output that goes through Lightning already has "blockchain" integrity, so all the verification those outputs are subject to is equivalent to a regular Bitcoin transaction after it's relayed as valid (but before it gets mined into a block).

For me, "off-chain" is a bad description, it emphasises a potential derogatory aspect; "mempool-verified" or "network verified" are both better tags for what Lightning does IMO.

Vires in numeris
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2016, 01:43:00 PM

For me, "off-chain" is a bad description, it emphasises a potential derogatory aspect; "mempool-verified" or "network verified" are both better tags for what Lightning does IMO.
There are many misrepresentations of LN, not to mention all the FUD that 'certain members' have spread in regards to it. There are even people who call it an altcoin which obviously does not make sense in any case.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
April 29, 2016, 04:22:35 PM

See: http://lightning.network/

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
vincentvincent

Activity: 285
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 29, 2016, 07:03:10 PM

I read this page that was quite helpfull: https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/the-lightning-network-elidhdicacs
calkob

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
April 29, 2016, 07:09:15 PM

Great question to be honest i am not sure my self but i think it has something to do with require lwss information in the chain , something like that. Huh
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2016, 07:23:44 PM

Great question to be honest i am not sure my self but i think it has something to do with require lwss information in the chain , something like that. Huh

I'm not sure if you are spamming or you simply didn't see the answers but Lauda explained pretty much everything about it : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1454243.msg14700597#msg14700597

@Everyone , thank you for your answers. I will keep this topic open for further discussions Smiley

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████