Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 04:30:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: It’s Time To Break The 5 Most Common Myths About Smart Contracts  (Read 2282 times)
bitcoinsolicitor (OP)

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

Bitcoin Lawyer in Kensington, London

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2016, 12:18:28 PM

http://www.selachii.co.uk/time-break-5-common-myths-smart-contracts/
grapevinebitcoin

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 22, 2016, 11:00:35 PM

Thanks for posting this!
BlueTemplar

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

Gone for a minute now back again

View Profile
May 23, 2016, 10:05:12 PM

Important info for any smart contract interested parties to understand.  thanks
duts_bg

Activity: 167

View Profile
May 24, 2016, 10:31:23 AM

I do not think the article gives us something new. Any reasonable person should be aware of the the above in the article.

SHIFT is a distributed P2P network that incentivizes decentralization for secure content publishing and storage.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2016, 02:09:14 PM

I do not think the article gives us something new. Any reasonable person should be aware of the the above in the article.

I have a lot of questions about "smart contracts" which have been raised by this event:

http://pastebin.com/CcGUBgDG

So the "smart contract" says that the entire contract is contained in the code and that whatever is defined/allowed by the code is what defined/allowed in the contract.

Then a loophole is found in the "contract" and someone uses it to their advantage.

Is executing this code, which was allowed by the smart contract code, admittedly unintentionally, then legal?

Now, the ETH/DAO community is considering reversing the transaction so ... would that be legal?  Wouldn't that be theft by the collective ETH/DAO community?

Some messy questions to say the least.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
June 19, 2016, 04:07:30 AM

Is executing this code, which was allowed by the smart contract code, admittedly unintentionally, then legal?
I don't see why not. If a paper contract allows multiple valid interpretations (even unintentionally), the courts normally allow whichever interpretation is worst for the author of the contract, on the grounds that it's their responsibility to write the contract correctly.

Now, the ETH/DAO community is considering reversing the transaction so ... would that be legal?
Doubt it. Even if the exploit is found to be illegal and the hacker is ordered to return the money, a court can only decide that after allowing the hacker to present a defence. I don't think they will be too happy with Vitalik and Co. making that decision completely unilaterally (especially since they claimed Ethereum was completely neutral in such disputes - code is law and all that).

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 12:06:01 AM

I think cryptoland is going to find out increasingly rapidly, repeatedly and upsettingly that the law hasn't caught up with their rate of progress. Despite that it's still going to be rather interested what they're up even if it's 'on the internet'.
b0art

Activity: 163

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 02:18:02 AM

This looks pretty interesting, thanks for this, I'll be reading this later tomorrow over a cup of coffee Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: