Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:36:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: This is why you enable 2FA.  (Read 2807 times)
jacobmayes94 (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 30, 2016, 09:11:15 AM
Last edit: April 30, 2016, 09:31:08 AM by jacobmayes94

So I have Kaspersky and have a relatively secure machine. My mate used my machine and I think must have somehow got a virus on it. Well my facebook and paypal both begun SMSing me confirmation codes of login attempts. It had pretty much compromised most passwords that had been entered since, including what is on BTC exhanges, all of which I have 2FA enabled. All my held coins are in coinbase multisig vaults or my trezor wallet and are safe.

If you have not yet done so, please enable 2FA. I hear plenty of horror stories. Total in all my wallets (coinbase, 5 BTC), trezor (3 BTC), LTC (68) on exchange, 1 BTC on exchange as well.

we are talking over £3000 in total which to me is an insane amount of money, I bought most of my coins over a lot of time. The only coins I have 'mined' are ETH to BTC recently, some of that was what was in the hot bitcoin-QT wallet, the rest I mined through ETH (totalling 2 BTC) has been moved/converted to LTC some of it. I prefer to buy as I stand a better chance of profiting, and just solo mine with small rigs for luck, profiting is difficult otherwise.

All of this was safe due to a combination of safe private keys and in the case of coinbase 2FA is needed for the vaults anyway, and 2FA for the exchanges.

If you havn't yet enabled it, ****ing do it!

The only coins which were 'unsafe' but not touched was 0.25 BTC in my hot bitcoin QT wallet, just reformatted and restored wallet.dat, hadn't used this in a while to sign transactions, wallet was encrypted, although if you use it a virus can just swipe your private keys the moment you decrypt.

I am careful with computer security (everything i use with 2FA has it enabled, but it got me.

Enable it!

Plus, maybe also keep coins in separate wallets too, I have heard people having large amounts stolen from a single wallet, hence my diversity.

Even consider a hardware wallet, it might just save your skin too.
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
talkbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1032

All I know is that I know nothing.

View Profile
April 30, 2016, 09:31:55 AM

....My mate used my machine....and got a virus on it.

i shoot anybody who tried to come near my computer because of this.

BTW my coins are all in cold storage

.L I V E C O I N . N E T.
..PROFITBOX..
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
█████████████▄  ▄████████████
    █████████████████████████
  ██████████▀    ▀█ ▀████████
████  █████▀  ▄▄  ▀█  ▀██████
  ████████▀  ▄██▄  ▀█   ▀████
    ██████   ▀██▀   ██   ████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
██  █████████▄  ▄████████████
  ███████████████████████████
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████████████████▀ ███
█████████████████████▀   ███
    █████████████▀     ████
  █████████████▀   ██    ████
████  █████▀     ██    ████
  ███████▀   ██    ██    ████
    █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████    ██    ██    ████
██  █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████████████████████████
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6120

View Profile
April 30, 2016, 09:35:09 AM

I couldn't agree more with you mate . Still , people won't do that unless they get hacked .
Do you think people learned the lesson from what happened to Mt.gox for example ? Hell no ! they are storing their coins in other exchanges for long time and they will cry once It gets hacked so unless they get screwed I don't think they will do anything about it . It's the sad truth.

Btw , It's not that hard to make a FUD (Fully Undetectable) virus for a skilled programmer so having an anti virus won't change much if you are facing a skilled hacker/programmer .

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Karartma1
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422

View Profile
April 30, 2016, 09:38:11 AM

I simply do not allow anyone but me to use my computer. I do not have facebook and such and I use several email addresses. My btc are in cold storage and so far I had nothing to worry about.

We're the first security layer of our own stuff. And, actually, I hate 2FA. I used it only once for bitstamp and I then stopped using bitstamp.
23dzmaz

Activity: 420

View Profile
April 30, 2016, 09:43:17 AM

Glad to hear that, all your coins are safe because 2fa. I'm nut using 2FA though, but because of this topic, i will try using 2FA now, is it hard using 2FA ? Because i never use it.
bitkilo
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1010

https://www.bitcoin.com/

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2016, 09:46:09 AM

I simply do not allow anyone but me to use my computer. I do not have facebook and such and I use several email addresses. My btc are in cold storage and so far I had nothing to worry about.

We're the first security layer of our own stuff. And, actually, I hate 2FA. I used it only once for bitstamp and I then stopped using bitstamp.
You really hate 2fa? Whats to hate, at the most it adds a whole 20 seconds to account logins but worth the time.
If you keeping any amount of coins on an exchange or hot wallet it is recommended that you add 2fa.

Glad to hear that, all your coins are safe because 2fa. I'm nut using 2FA though, but because of this topic, i will try using 2FA now, is it hard using 2FA ? Because i never use it.
Not hard to use at all. Just download one of the 2fa apps like Google authenticator or Authy scan the provided QR code from your wallet or exchange and your set.
Some accounts also offer 2fa via sms, there is much debate on which one is better.

Karartma1
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422

View Profile
April 30, 2016, 09:48:16 AM

You really hate 2fa? Whats to hate, at the most it adds a whole 20 seconds to account logins but worth the time.
If you keeping any amount of coins on an exchange or hot wallet it is recommended that you add 2fa.

I do not have any money on any exchange: when I need them I use them but I don't store my funds there. My hot wallet has less than a btc therefore I consider it ok i f I lose them. But again, so far I've never had trouble. Smiley
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6120

View Profile
April 30, 2016, 09:48:45 AM

It's easy , most of the time It require phone verification . the website will send you an SMS or phone call with a "code" you type the code (+ the ID & pass) on the website and you are logged .
So ... without your phone no one can really connect into your Blockchain.info (or other websites) accounts.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 30, 2016, 09:59:17 AM

Definately use 2fa for everything where it is possible. It adds a much needed security layer in current times.

Also good to use some program that obfuscates your keytyping to make it harder to get a crack at the first layer as well.

You cannot be secure enough on the internet imo. Especially when money or your identity (e-mail, facebook, etc) is concerned.
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
April 30, 2016, 10:00:48 AM

So I have Kaspersky and have a relatively secure machine. My mate used my machine

No machine is "secure" if someone can come and use it without your knowledge. "I said Relatively" I can already hear, ok, relatively respect to what?
bittraffic

Activity: 2940
Merit: 612

#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2016, 10:03:38 AM

i don't do it s well as i get to move from one computer to another. its always a hassle due to the phone verification and that taking my phone again and wait for the codes to input.

.SWG.io.

..Pre-Sale is LIVE at $0.15..

..Buy Now..

``█████████████████▄▄
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄
````````````````````▀██▄
```▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄███
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄```▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``````````````````▄██▀
```````````████████████▄
````````````````````▀▀███
`````````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄████
```▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
`▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀████
```````````````````▄▄████
``▀▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
██``███████████████▀▀

FIRST LISTING
..CONFIRMED..

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 30, 2016, 10:06:14 AM

my machine is not touched by anyone else, no friend or family member can touch it without my permission, and usually i would not permit it anyway

i do agree that is better to be safe than sorry, but the primarily reason for those stolens wallets, is because of negligence in primis, there is no prevention ever...
jacobmayes94 (OP)

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 30, 2016, 10:20:28 AM

Very handy :-) I am usually okay letting my friends use my machine without an issue this seemed to have originated from a memory stick when we looked into it, I am okay with friends using my computer as the friends I do have I trust not to anything on purpose. But it goes to show that
In cases like this enabling things like 2FA can help especially if you share your computer bit even the most security literate can be comprised!

Jacob
BitcoinHodler

Activity: 1456
Merit: 578

HODLing is an art, not just a word...

View Profile
April 30, 2016, 10:38:20 AM

you should always take advantage of any additional security point that you can get your hands on. it is not just 2FA. anything that can be done in order to make things even a tiny bit more safe is good.

Holding Bitcoin More Every Day
interbtc

Activity: 451

View Profile
April 30, 2016, 11:24:19 AM

Excellent point in regards to security. Glad that your funds are safe due to the 2fa. I on the other hand dont trust anything that is stored on comp or phone.
That is why i have everything on paper wallet, with all traces of generating those erased from my computer. Security is good with both options imho, just a matter of personal opinions differ.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2016, 11:25:01 AM

Step 1) Don't let 'mates' or anyone use your machines. Else you get "viruses" by accident.
Step 2) Don't use online wallets unless you really have to, otherwise do what OP has suggested (even though I still don't recommend online wallets).
Step 3) Let this be a lesson to those that have insecure wallets.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
lemipawa
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 30, 2016, 11:38:27 AM

I have 2 laptops in my house, 1 is for everyones use (my son and wife) and 1 for my Bitcoin transaction. I never allow my wife and son to use it, it even asks for my fingerprint before they can open it. I use 2FA on my email and my wallets. Better to have it activated rather not and I need it.
Jasad
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

= jasad =

View Profile
April 30, 2016, 11:39:27 AM

So I have Kaspersky and have a relatively secure machine. My mate used my machine and I think must have somehow got a virus on it. Well my facebook and paypal both begun SMSing me confirmation codes of login attempts. It had pretty much compromised most passwords that had been entered since, including what is on BTC exhanges, all of which I have 2FA enabled. All my held coins are in coinbase multisig vaults or my trezor wallet and are safe.

If you have not yet done so, please enable 2FA. I hear plenty of horror stories. Total in all my wallets (coinbase, 5 BTC), trezor (3 BTC), LTC (68) on exchange, 1 BTC on exchange as well.

we are talking over £3000 in total which to me is an insane amount of money, I bought most of my coins over a lot of time. The only coins I have 'mined' are ETH to BTC recently, some of that was what was in the hot bitcoin-QT wallet, the rest I mined through ETH (totalling 2 BTC) has been moved/converted to LTC some of it. I prefer to buy as I stand a better chance of profiting, and just solo mine with small rigs for luck, profiting is difficult otherwise.

All of this was safe due to a combination of safe private keys and in the case of coinbase 2FA is needed for the vaults anyway, and 2FA for the exchanges.

If you havn't yet enabled it, ****ing do it!

The only coins which were 'unsafe' but not touched was 0.25 BTC in my hot bitcoin QT wallet, just reformatted and restored wallet.dat, hadn't used this in a while to sign transactions, wallet was encrypted, although if you use it a virus can just swipe your private keys the moment you decrypt.

I am careful with computer security (everything i use with 2FA has it enabled, but it got me.

Enable it!

Plus, maybe also keep coins in separate wallets too, I have heard people having large amounts stolen from a single wallet, hence my diversity.

Even consider a hardware wallet, it might just save your skin too.
sad story,again and again peoples reported about losing their assets because hacker or other,and yes i'm agree we should enable 2FA,but i'm also think its dont need for me and other people who just have little bitcoin or other assets Grin
smho_16

Activity: 420

View Profile
April 30, 2016, 11:41:43 AM

Not hard at all, you just need a smartphone and the Google Authenticator app. Also I have read in different posts in different part of this forum, you need to have a clean machine when enabling it as there are still risk with enabling 2fa in an infected machine, but don't know much about those risks, no one has explained them in detail yet, just make sure you have a clean machine, so run a scan with your internet security first before enabling 2FA
ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2016, 01:36:40 PM

Well I decided a long time ago that I was gonna trust Coinbase with my Bitcoins so I have almost nothing on my computer. I do have 2FA with Coinbase though. Just can't handle the hassle of local wallets plus having my coins online is so much more convenient.
On a different note, life is still peachy on Linux, it's been nearly a year and half since I switched from windows and I haven't even bothered to install an antivirus software  Cool I'm just careful to avoid shady sites and email links and that's about it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: