Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 05:00:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Could bitcoin make Bill Gates idea of spam free email possible?  (Read 1039 times)
notig (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 04:48:46 AM
Last edit: February 21, 2013, 05:33:54 AM by notig

Just thought it would be a funny idea... but if there was an email system that used bitcoin (small fees) for sending messages. You could make it so that if someone sent you a message and it cost them a small fee... you could somehow reply and return the fee to the sender. this would make it even cheaper (since no one will probably respond to spam but they might to a valid user)

I suppose it would work like this: There is some kind of bitcoin clearing house where you set up an account. You can input a bitcoin amount and it will allow you to send a message. When the message is sent the bitcoin fee is put somewhere in reserve. If the person you email replies... then the fee is returned to you. Otherwise it's used to finance the actual service itself. Whatever the fee amount would be something low but not so low that a spammer could afford to spam the network .

rini17

Activity: 340
Merit: 250

GO http://bitcointa.lk !!! My new nick: jurov

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2013, 10:07:12 AM

Just thought it would be a funny idea... but if there was an email system that used bitcoin (small fees) for sending messages. You could make it so that if someone sent you a message and it cost them a small fee... you could somehow reply and return the fee to the sender. this would make it even cheaper (since no one will probably respond to spam but they might to a valid user)

I suppose it would work like this: There is some kind of bitcoin clearing house where you set up an account. You can input a bitcoin amount and it will allow you to send a message. When the message is sent the bitcoin fee is put somewhere in reserve. If the person you email replies... then the fee is returned to you. Otherwise it's used to finance the actual service itself. Whatever the fee amount would be something low but not so low that a spammer could afford to spam the network .

Good idea, why not just attach (multisig?) transaction to the email, and if receiver wants to redeem it, he can sign it and broadcast it. So that sender and receiver don't need trusted third party to confirm the payment, but also bitcoins appended to the message can't be stolen by intermediary. Also if the message isn't delivered, the transaction expires and payment returned to sender.

Edit: But, why can't everyone just use PGP? Encrypting/signing millions of emails is computationally expensive, mass gathering of pgp fingerprints is nontrivial. That would lower spam volume, too.

CoinBr.com: First online MPEx brokerage launched beta! Easy to use interface and reasonable fees. Charts for MPEx stocks: live.coinbr.com * My Blog *
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 11:08:47 PM

Hashcash

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashcash

(I believe hashcash was the inspiration for Bitcoin)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: