Bitcoin Forum
July 08, 2024, 09:29:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I've got lots of vanity addresses. I want to use them.  (Read 590 times)
Monnt (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 30, 2016, 01:25:28 PM

I own a Ledger wallet, which sadly does not support the importing of addresses. I'd like to use my vanity addresses though. Is there a service/app that hosts your private key, and any payments that go through there are forwarded to you?

I can see that there are similar services, but not the same. They all don't allow you to input your own address.

It would also be even better if the funds could be sent through a mixer. Is there also a bitcoin mixer that has permanent mixer addresses, not like bitmixer's 24 hour address?
Chris!
Legendary

Activity: 1382
Merit: 1122

View Profile
April 30, 2016, 01:34:06 PM

By 'forwarded to you' do you mean you get the transaction within that wallet or it goes from your vanity address 1vanityxxxxxxxxxxxx and is automatically sent to your Ledger wallet?
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
April 30, 2016, 01:35:40 PM

Unfortunately I don't think an effective way to do the mixing part exists yet. And honestly I don't really trust mixers, they are centralized, and you are trusting they will not keep logs and handle said logs to 3 letter agencies if they ask for it. It's just not what Bitcoin is, that's why im looking forward to CoinJoin being implemented at a protocol level, then we will have this problem solved for once.

As for vanity addresses, i would avoid using them tbh, they are not privacy friendly, but if you really want to, another person will answer to you because I have never deal with that.
Monnt (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2016, 01:41:48 PM

Unfortunately I don't think an effective way to do the mixing part exists yet. And honestly I don't really trust mixers, they are centralized, and you are trusting they will not keep logs and handle said logs to 3 letter agencies if they ask for it. It's just not what Bitcoin is, that's why im looking forward to CoinJoin being implemented at a protocol level, then we will have this problem solved for once.

As for vanity addresses, i would avoid using them tbh, they are not privacy friendly, but if you really want to, another person will answer to you because I have never deal with that.

That's why ideally what I want is something like this -

Incoming transaction > Vanity address hosted by me > Bitcoin mixer (coinjoin?) > Ledger wallet

This way everything is hosted by me or using a decentralised system.

By 'forwarded to you' do you mean you get the transaction within that wallet or it goes from your vanity address 1vanityxxxxxxxxxxxx and is automatically sent to your Ledger wallet?

The latter

Chris!
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2016, 01:48:57 PM
Last edit: April 30, 2016, 02:18:01 PM by Chris!

Incoming transaction > Vanity address hosted by me > Bitcoin mixer (coinjoin?) > Ledger wallet

Having the transaction automatically sent to a mixer would be hard to accomplish an I wouldn't suggest it anyways. There's just too much that could go wrong. I would highly suggest you manually send a tx to a mixer (to be sent to the Ledger wallet) or you look into just skipping the mixer.

Edit: I would look into a stealth address.
Oralmat

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 30, 2016, 01:54:48 PM

Having the transaction automatically sent to a mixer would be hard to accomplish an I wouldn't suggest it anyways. There's just too much that could go wrong. I would highly suggest you manually send a tx to a mixer (to be sent to the Ledger wallet) or you look into just skipping the mixer.

you may transfer the funds to some new wallet. that may solve the purpose for  you.
Monnt (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 01, 2016, 11:56:08 AM

you may transfer the funds to some new wallet. that may solve the purpose for  you.

I smell a retard. Wow, that's a strong scent.

It's a Ledger wallet. An air-gap. I spent money on it. What do you want me to do - throw it away? I want to keep the funds here. But I've generated a rare vanity address that I don't want to be associated with me. Problem.
merelcoin

Activity: 675
Merit: 504

View Profile
May 01, 2016, 12:01:10 PM

What's wrong with a simple sollution?
Just create an electrum wallet, you can even use an online an and airgapped offline version for tx signing.

Import your vanity addresses in electrum -> receive money on these addresses -> go to bitmixer, cryptomixer, shared coin,... send your coins from electrum to the mixing service -> make sure you give your leger's address as output address with the mixing service.

Seems really simple, or am i missing the point here?
Chris!
Legendary

View Profile
May 01, 2016, 12:57:23 PM

I smell a retard. Wow, that's a strong scent.

It's a Ledger wallet. An air-gap. I spent money on it. What do you want me to do - throw it away? I want to keep the funds here. But I've generated a rare vanity address that I don't want to be associated with me. Problem.

I think you'll find better answers in the Technical Support section. I always get great answers there (usually from Knightdk and/or Shorena). I know very little about stealth addresses so maybe someone there can explain them better.
Monnt (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 01:23:05 AM

What's wrong with a simple sollution?
Just create an electrum wallet, you can even use an online an and airgapped offline version for tx signing.

Import your vanity addresses in electrum -> receive money on these addresses -> go to bitmixer, cryptomixer, shared coin,... send your coins from electrum to the mixing service -> make sure you give your leger's address as output address with the mixing service.

Seems really simple, or am i missing the point here?

The problem is that I receive alot of transactions, and being the lazy shit that I am, want an automated system. It seems easy enough, because bitmixer provides all the relevant API calls, but I simply do not have the coding prowess to code it. I was asking whether there is an easy way to make this system or something the like already exists.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2926
Merit: 2347

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 02:26:28 AM

Is there a service/app that hosts your private key, and any payments that go through there are forwarded to you?
This is a very bad idea, please do not do this, especially with any meaningful amounts of money. Storing bitcoin online is generally a bad idea, however sending your private keys is an even worse idea because the number of potential attack vectors that your private keys can get intercepted increases significantly, plus the fact that your private keys will need to be stored in memory for much longer then is really necessary. 

Is there also a bitcoin mixer that has permanent mixer addresses, not like bitmixer's 24 hour address?
Any mixing service that will do anything like this is almost certainly going to be a scam. What you are describing is very bad for privacy which defeats the purpose of using a mixing service in the first place
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3286

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 03:59:03 AM
Last edit: May 02, 2016, 04:11:04 AM by odolvlobo

The problem is that I receive a lot of transactions, and being the lazy shit that I am, want an automated system. It seems easy enough, because bitmixer provides all the relevant API calls, but I simply do not have the coding prowess to code it. I was asking whether there is an easy way to make this system or something the like already exists.

You don't have to relay each transaction separately through the mixer to your Ledger wallet. Let the funds accumulate in the vanity address and then forward them manually once a month.

In order to do it automatically, you run a server that has a wallet with your vanity address. Periodically, the server sends funds through the mixer using its API to a fixed address in the Ledger wallet. There is a drawback: Always sending to the same address from the mixer reduces the effectiveness of the mixer. A smarter version would use the Ledger wallet's xpub key to generate new addresses that the Ledger knows about and the mixer would send to those addresses.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Boosterious

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

The mind is everything. What you think you become.

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 07:23:41 AM

I own a Ledger wallet, which sadly does not support the importing of addresses. I'd like to use my vanity addresses though. Is there a service/app that hosts your private key, and any payments that go through there are forwarded to you?

I can see that there are similar services, but not the same. They all don't allow you to input your own address.

It would also be even better if the funds could be sent through a mixer. Is there also a bitcoin mixer that has permanent mixer addresses, not like bitmixer's 24 hour address?
vanity address is unique and have nice character,but some site of vanity address have bad purpose,people said that vanity address from scam site will stole our bitcoin when it already imported in our wallet. but i never use that,so i'm not so sure.

merelcoin

Activity: 675
Merit: 504

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 07:29:01 AM

vanity address is unique and have nice character,but some site of vanity address have bad purpose,people said that vanity address from scam site will stole our bitcoin when it already imported in our wallet. but i never use that,so i'm not so sure.

If you use an online vanity address generator that doesn't use the split-key method, you are correct.
If you use a split-key service, like shorena's, you are safe... If you're like me, and don't trust other people at all, you can just use vanitygen and generate an address yourself. This way you know your coins won't get stolen, since you're the only one holding your private key Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: