Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:40:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Auto-sweeping new funds that show up at an address?  (Read 1645 times)
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 08:39:52 AM

I know MtGox sweeps bitcoin addresses when you import private keys, but does it also sweep any new funds that arrive from the address after the fact?  Sure, those funds "arrive" to your account, but does it attempt to secure them by sending them to a new address immediately?

If not, does such a service exist?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 01:40:29 PM

I know MtGox sweeps bitcoin addresses when you import private keys, but does it also sweep any new funds that arrive from the address after the fact?

Yes.

Sure, those funds "arrive" to your account, but does it attempt to secure them by sending them to a new address immediately?

I'm not certain what the delay is between arrival at the address and sweeping.  Probably less than an hour.  Probably more than a microsecond.  Perhaps someone with a better estimate will come along?
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 07:20:56 PM

I know MtGox sweeps bitcoin addresses when you import private keys, but does it also sweep any new funds that arrive from the address after the fact?

Yes.

Sure, those funds "arrive" to your account, but does it attempt to secure them by sending them to a new address immediately?

I'm not certain what the delay is between arrival at the address and sweeping.  Probably less than an hour.  Probably more than a microsecond.  Perhaps someone with a better estimate will come along?

Thanks.  If no one chimes in, I'll do some of my own testing to determine how quickly it is done.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 07:35:37 PM

Yes.

Thanks.  If no one chimes in, I'll do some of my own testing to determine how quickly it is done.
The one time I tried it I found that large amounts were swept pretty fast, but it seems like small amounts (less than 0.00001 BTC) were taking a really long time.  That may have changed since a year ago when I was playing around with it, so definitely do you own testing.
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 08:23:10 PM

Yes.

The one time I tried it I found that large amounts were swept pretty fast, but it seems like small amounts (less than 0.00001 BTC) were taking a really long time.  That may have changed since a year ago when I was playing around with it, so definitely do you own testing.
Thanks for the details!  Smiley
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1028

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2013, 08:36:29 PM

Mtgox doesn't pay fees for the sweeps or wait until there is an adequate balance, they send transactions out that have little hope of block inclusion if you send the address a stream of satoshis.
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 09:46:54 PM

Mtgox doesn't pay fees for the sweeps or wait until there is an adequate balance, they send transactions out that have little hope of block inclusion if you send the address a stream of satoshis.
Thanks.

Is there any service or application or method to auto-sweep funds with top priority as soon as they arrive?  If not, how difficult would it be to build such an application?

Maybe I'll ask etotheipi if he wants to include it in Armory.  Wink
MagicalTux
VIP

Activity: 608
Merit: 501

-

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 10:01:59 PM

Thanks.

Is there any service or application or method to auto-sweep funds with top priority as soon as they arrive?  If not, how difficult would it be to build such an application?

Maybe I'll ask etotheipi if he wants to include it in Armory.  Wink

We could add the ability to have a fee added, but it means that you could end spending bitcoins without warning, which is a bad idea.

For information, sweep happens as soon as we see a non confirmed transaction for your bitcoin address.
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 10:11:06 PM

Thanks.

Is there any service or application or method to auto-sweep funds with top priority as soon as they arrive?  If not, how difficult would it be to build such an application?

Maybe I'll ask etotheipi if he wants to include it in Armory.  Wink

We could add the ability to have a fee added, but it means that you could end spending bitcoins without warning, which is a bad idea.

For information, sweep happens as soon as we see a non confirmed transaction for your bitcoin address.
I think it would be a good addition.  If an address has been compromised, it might be well worth it to a person to automatically add a small fee to process any incoming transactions and have that much more of an edge against whoever else also has the private key.  I think to avoid spending extra Bitcoins, simply disable the fee if the incoming transaction is smaller than the fee is set to.

Thanks for the extra information.
MagicalTux
VIP

-

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 10:30:01 PM

I think it would be a good addition.  If an address has been compromised, it might be well worth it to a person to automatically add a small fee to process any incoming transactions and have that much more of an edge against whoever else also has the private key.  I think to avoid spending extra Bitcoins, simply disable the fee if the incoming transaction is smaller than the fee is set to.

I believe if we add a 0.0005 BTC fee for any transfer below 0.01 BTC but > 0.0005 BTC, it should speed up things a lot.

We'll add a setting to enable this soon. Problem is this will be enabled account-wide, and not per address (because there is no way to modify an address afterward).

For transfers <= 0.0005 BTC, I guess the only solution is to wait for multiple ones to appear until sum > 0.0005
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 10:33:20 PM

I believe if we add a 0.0005 BTC fee for any transfer below 0.01 BTC but > 0.0005 BTC, it should speed up things a lot.

We'll add a setting to enable this soon. Problem is this will be enabled account-wide, and not per address (because there is no way to modify an address afterward).

For transfers <= 0.0005 BTC, I guess the only solution is to wait for multiple ones to appear until sum > 0.0005
Cool!  It's not perfect, but certainly a better solution than what we have now.

To be clear, this fee would apply to both MtGox-generated addresses and user-imported addresses?
MagicalTux
VIP

-

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 11:03:23 PM

To be clear, this fee would apply to both MtGox-generated addresses and user-imported addresses?

Nope, only to user-imported addresses. For MtGox-generated addresses, we assume the private key is secure.
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 02:50:06 AM

Nope, only to user-imported addresses. For MtGox-generated addresses, we assume the private key is secure.
Thanks for the clarification.  I would definitely like to see an optional fee feature implemented...!
AgoristRadio

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 07:05:35 PM

>Is there any service or application or method to auto-sweep funds with top priority as soon as they arrive?
>If not, how difficult would it be to build such an application?

If you would like this, suggest a bounty and maybe I will implement it, and give you the source code or even run this as a service if it is needed.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: