Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 07:51:05 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do Bitcoin wallet GUI's look so basic?  (Read 1469 times)
Jushe (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 01, 2016, 04:13:33 AM

I don't get why there isn't much improvement on Bitcoin wallet GUI's. They all look so basic and old. Whats stopping them from getting a makeover?
cjmoles
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1017

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2016, 04:29:39 AM

I don't think anything's stopping bitcoin's wallet from getting a make over accept interest.  It's an open source project isn't it?  Give it a shot!  Pretty up your wallet the way you like, show us what you come up with, and maybe it will catch on.
SFR10
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 3464

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2016, 05:55:13 AM

Which wallet GUI your referring to? If blockchain.info then IIRC, some that have upgraded to the new version, stated some changes in terms of it's look but from what I've noticed, wallets GUI isn't that important as long as their functionality is what it's supposed to be so can't really see it as a priority to any wallet provider.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 01, 2016, 06:49:37 AM

Which wallet GUI your referring to? If blockchain.info then IIRC, some that have upgraded to the new version, stated some changes in terms of it's look but from what I've noticed, wallets GUI isn't that important as long as their functionality is what it's supposed to be so can't really see it as a priority to any wallet provider.

i think he is talking about core, i do agree that a modern restyle may put average joes, on a better position about running it on their machine, but it's not prioritary now
mkc

Activity: 517
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 01, 2016, 06:56:25 AM

I don't get why there isn't much improvement on Bitcoin wallet GUI's. They all look so basic and old. Whats stopping them from getting a makeover?

Are you talking about Bitcoin-qt?
The interface has been the same for years. What is your vision that it should be?
RoommateAgreement

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

Bazinga!

View Profile
May 01, 2016, 07:15:38 AM

maybe it is because developers (and programmers in general) don't care about user interface since they don't use it that much themselves.

so i think if you have any suggestions you should submit it that way as a suggestion to improve the GUI

Buying the dip...
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3514
Merit: 6176

View Profile
May 01, 2016, 07:18:54 AM

As far as I know you can submit as many requests as you want but they won't change it , I'm not sure where I read that but they are keeping this basic User interface because it was the original made by Satoshi . It's not that they can't , It's just that they don't want to.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
May 01, 2016, 07:27:45 AM

I like the fact that is is fairly basic. Think about what it does, it is simply an interface for you to send and receive coins from your private keys. The more features the wallet has the more it deviates from this basic function and the more things that can go wrong.
merelcoin

Activity: 675
Merit: 504

View Profile
May 01, 2016, 07:30:25 AM

I'd have to agree that the wallet is indeed a bit dated, but it serves it's purpose. I don't think there's enough community intrest to change a fully working tool just because it looks a bit dated.
You can do anything you need to do with bitcoin core, and if you don't like it, i find multibit HD having a nice gui (altough it's not completely free).
RoommateAgreement

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

Bazinga!

View Profile
May 01, 2016, 07:36:21 AM

I'd have to agree that the wallet is indeed a bit dated, but it serves it's purpose. I don't think there's enough community intrest to change a fully working tool just because it looks a bit dated.
You can do anything you need to do with bitcoin core, and if you don't like it, i find multibit HD having a nice gui (altough it's not completely free).

it became free with the latest update, but it is too late if you ask me. they did a wrong thing forcing people to pay them fees for using their wallet while there are better wallets like Electrum available for free.
#damageisdone

Buying the dip...
cjmoles
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1017

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2016, 07:43:50 AM

As far as I know you can submit as many requests as you want but they won't change it , I'm not sure where I read that but they are keeping this basic User interface because it was the original made by Satoshi . It's not that they can't , It's just that they don't want to.

Why would they change it?  That's not their priority; isn't their priority the protocol?  I don't see any reason why an open source project can't be prettied up by the community as long as the protocol remained intact.  Sure, we don't have commit privileges with github but what's to stop us from prettying it up individually and sharing?  Am I missing something here?
BitHodler
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1179

View Profile
May 01, 2016, 07:47:42 AM

If you are referring to Bitcoin Core then it indeed looks very basic but right now the only thing that matters to me is that it is doing its work without any problems.

And that it does, so for me a basic looking wallet GUI isn't that big of a deal.

If they at some point decide to give the GUI a fresh and more colorful upgrade then it's fine but if it doesn't happen any time soon then it's fine too with me.

BSV is not the real Bcash. Bcash is the real Bcash.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3274

View Profile
May 01, 2016, 09:12:45 AM

Have you seen Airbitz? You might like its look.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Jasad
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1002

= jasad =

View Profile
May 01, 2016, 09:41:00 AM

what you need?bitcoin wallet with not GUI layout and just like coinbase or blockcahin?its not good and not calssic as bitcoin,and i'm sure people will more lika bitcoin wallet with GUI layout.
calkob

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
May 01, 2016, 11:29:32 AM

I think peopele are more concerned that thier wallet is safe and secure, but yes i get what you mean, i think as more people get into bitcoin then we will see a push for better GUI
Monnt
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 01, 2016, 11:43:59 AM

The main desktop wallets, like bitcoin core and electrum do look half-baked. But their developers care about the functionality, not the look. Their apps are targeted at most bitcoin users, already tech-savvy people. I run my electrum through command line, so there.

If you want, use copay, greenaddress or coinbase.
merelcoin

Activity: 675
Merit: 504

View Profile
May 01, 2016, 11:57:38 AM

it became free with the latest update, but it is too late if you ask me. they did a wrong thing forcing people to pay them fees for using their wallet while there are better wallets like Electrum available for free.
#damageisdone

I actually had no idear they stopped charging a fee per transaction... But in my opinion, multibit HD is one of the nicest looking wallets around.
The main thing about this topic: bitcoin is open source, the developers made a fully functional wallet, that supported about anything you could do with the bitcoin protocol, however, they didn't spend a lot of time in making the gui looking fresh, or updating the gui's looks.
But since it's open source, others have filled the gap, so everybody is free to chose his or her own wallet. If you stick to bitcoin core's qt wallet, you have a functional wallet with a dated look, if you chose for an other open or closed source wallet, you might have to pay a bit of money, or lose some functionality in order to get a nice GUI, each to his own Smiley
rinhunter

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 01, 2016, 02:03:54 PM

So far rarely questioned GUI, during it safe and still working well, for me it did not matter.
Maybe if you feel uncomfortable you can use another wallet to store Bitcoin.
JosNekoKopa

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 01, 2016, 02:14:56 PM

i think he is talking about core, i do agree that a modern restyle may put average joes, on a better position about running it on their machine, but it's not prioritary now
It is not priority? ok but more pleasant looks could have better user experience, and i don't think they would take much effort, if average altcoins can have better looking wallet then we could have a problem in the future.
Jushe (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 01, 2016, 04:23:15 PM

I was refering to Electrum and Core mostly. I get that the GUI isn't that important but shouldn't it have improved somewhat by now?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: