Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 12:23:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone use those yellow tint glasses for computer eye strain reduction?  (Read 796 times)
doublemore (OP)

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 01, 2016, 06:59:18 PM

Anyone use those yellow tint glasses for computer eye strain reduction?

Any reviews, i see some are like $100 but others are $10 ? thoughts.

ThirstyMoon

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 01, 2016, 07:06:11 PM

I suggest you don't waste your money for that (haven't tried them myself).

What I would recommend you is to Google the program f.lux: it changes the brightness of your computer in order to limit eye strain.

Hope it helps you out, it certainly helped me a lot. Smiley
Dassi

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 01, 2016, 08:10:00 PM

I have never used them before, never had any reason to...
doublemore (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2016, 08:25:15 PM

What I would recommend you is to Google the program f.lux: it changes the brightness of your computer in order to limit eye strain.

Hey, thanks man!
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 06:18:29 AM

Not sure what these are all about but i am skeptical.

Last while i have been cycling through monitors like crazy.
I did have a HUGE screen but just had to give it back to a guy Sad
So i am back to a small screen and it's as train on the eyes.. simply because it's too small now.
And i was just fiddling again with the color and brightness settings too.
I can't seem to get into the OSD panel to control the monitor directly
so i have been stuck using the Nvidia Control panel tools which have worked really good.
I have it now pretty much optimized for all purposes (desktop usage + lots of videos)

One thing my last huge monitor did which drove me bat shit insane
was it auto adjusted the brightness on me.
Holy fuck that is seriously irritating.

One thing that is important is the refresh rate.. it's not all about brightness.
Although i mod the absolute living shit out of every conceivable thing to BLACK !
Who ever the fuck decided everything that has ever been made in history needs
a bright white background such as web pages or Android etc needs s kick in the fucking nuts !
One thing i do is use a global Firefox GreaseMonkey script that converts every web page to a black background.
My eyes thank me !

I also have my desktop resolution set custom so the text and windows are the right size.
I say avoid screwing with DPI settings it can fuck up a lot of programs.
Then i am running at 105 hz refresh rate for the desktop.
I also have Windows 7 x64 with media foundation and ALL windows codecs disabled.
Then i use Icaros for thumbnails & LAV for every conceivable video / audio codec format.
And it pawns the shit out of other things because it has features nothing else does.
Such as 30 or 60 fps hardware acceleration on videos.

I learned over a decade ago playing Counter Strike that i could tell if the refresh rate was too low.
60 fps vs 99 fps was obvious 100% of the time..
ALL people on the web back then ran around saying it didn't matter
and that you can't tell the difference.. and of course they were all blathering idiots full of shit.
Refresh rates can lower fatigue and eye strain.

I had a special monitor that was a BENQ CS gaming monitor that did 144 hz it said.
I found the review for it online and had to have it.. WHY ?
Read this.. http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost/

So.. there is probably many things you can do to optimize your experience.. try experimenting.

EDIT:
If all else fails just buy some "Google Glasses"

FUD first & ask questions later™
ThirstyMoon

Activity: 321

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 07:18:49 AM

Hey, thanks man!

You're very welcome.

F.lux can be configured to switch the brightness automatically depending on the time of day.

If you're in a room with curtains, you can leave the monitor temperature at 3400k.

If you're in a bright room during the day, it's better to put the temperature at around 4500k or whatever suites your needs.
arlene05973

Activity: 616

A day without a buzz is like a day that never was

View Profile
May 06, 2016, 12:20:07 PM

Nice recommendation. I'm facing same problem here.
I'm asus F553M which it's one of the best notebook which i've use uptil date due to it's noiseless & smooth cooling effect without external cooling device. It can run upto the next day without any noise.

Arlene

arlene05973

Activity: 616

A day without a buzz is like a day that never was

View Profile
May 06, 2016, 12:22:18 PM

So.. there is probably many things you can do to optimize your experience.. try experimenting.

EDIT:

@Spoetnik, your comment & explaination are great but, next time try summerizing it to make it easier for other's.

Thanks
Arlene
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3850
Merit: 8178

View Profile
May 06, 2016, 12:56:54 PM

f.lux is not meant to reduce eye strain.  It is meant to change the hue of your screen.  The reasoning behind f.lux is that your eye contains receptors that are sensitive to blue-green light and play a role in regulation of the body's circadian rhythm.   Rather than be blasted with blue-green light around bed-time, your eyes get a nice warm light and your ability to sleep is less likely to be compromised.

Yellow tinted glasses (also called shooter's lenses) are an older technology that play on the fact that the eyes cannot focus well on blue light.  The blue light rays bend more and focus on a point in front of the retina rather than on it.  This is called chromatic aberration.  These are purported to reduce eye strain because the eye doesn't have to work as hard to obtain a good focus.  I remember in the 80's when "blu blockers" became the rage.  Everybody was wearing them... now not so much.

If you find you are having eye strain, headaches or blurred vision using the computer monitor, you might be better off with computer lenses.  These are meant for a focal point slightly further away than reading and they are also designed to reduce glare.  These are awesome for reducing eye strain.  I use them and I was surprised that the optometrist recommended them for my nieces who don't normally wear glasses at all (they were complaining of headaches).

Spoetnik
Legendary

Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
May 07, 2016, 08:04:24 AM

EDIT:

@Spoetnik, your comment & explaination are great but, next time try summerizing it to make it easier for other's.

Thanks
Arlene

That is dumb.. not everything can be summarized.
Nor is it possible.
Either i use short quick sentences and speak like an idiot (like most people)
Or i have to keep posting new comments and the staff would shit on me and say join it into ONE comment.

If YOU do not have the patience to read 1 screen full of written text that is a YOU problem.
I offered a wealth of info and help take it or not.. your choice. (purchase a scroll wheel ?)

If you suffer from some from of Attention Deficit Disorder then seek professional help..
After all this is a DISCUSSION FORUM ..NOT Twitter.

The problem here is we only have kids, foreigners and ADD victims at Bitcointalk.
They can't read English too well and it becomes way too hard for them past 1 sentence.
So they bitch & moan..
Or we have this newer generation of idiots online who can not consume anything unless it's fast / easy.
I would have loved to see you guys here on the internet back in the early 2000's before the ADD victim parade took over the Web.

Attention span ? Can you recall what i said 1 paragraph above with out looking ?
Not a fucking chance.. ADD victims ! eat "Ritolin" & STFU kids LOL

PS:
I am am always on a quest for more info and i am ALWAYS willing to "READ"
So while you were here whining for information "hand out's" (too lazy to do your own Google searching)
I found some Android app's..
I found an app that applies a BLUE Filter that the dev claims reduces eye strain.
Funny part was i was mainly trying to solve the blue color tint problem on my screen when i seen this topic.

So no............. this type of a topic / discussion does not warrant a YES/NO answer.
So demanding it be formatted as one is simply fucking ridiculous  Roll Eyes

I type it out long for a fucking reason.. i am not trying to waste your precious fucking time assholes.
I was trying to provide you information that apparently you were too busy to Google yourself.
Do you know how many times i have seen dumb questions posted by lazy kids on the web since 2000 ?
It's a clear sign of stupidity.

..blow me.  Cool

EDIT:
I PROBABLY have to spell it out reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal fucking slow too.
No we were NOT talking about "ANDROID" app's
..but do you get it ?
DO i have to spell it out ? seriously ? AHAHHAHAHHA
Save your money buying a program and simply turn the blue level down on your monitor Wink
All graphic cards come with a tool to do it and even windows has a built in color calibration tool.
So if that is a thing that does actually reduce eye strain then why the fuck buy $100 glasses
or paid app's etc ?
Run the color adjustment thing and change it your self.

I'd love to keep it short & sweet and simple but if i don't spell it out the morons on the web fail to get it.
I knew damn well as soon as i hit submit i would end up getting a comment back (quoting me of course)
Saying but but Spoetnik we're NOT talking about Android "App's" ..uhh yeah duh Wink

FUD first & ask questions later™
Lethn
Legendary

Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2016, 11:02:48 AM

Just take a break every now and then and go have a drink or something like that, the only people who will have genuine problems with eye strain using the computer are idiots who don't take a break every now and then and just rest their eyes, I just go down for a coffee or a snack every now and then and that will be enough.

Now the real risk to your eyes is when you're focusing on something very small, so if you're looking at tiny computer components a lot or like me you do Jewellery and have to look at things that are less than a millimeter you can end up going short sighted, so if you feel yourself getting tired for no reason during the day be sure to stare at some trees or houses outside in the distance and just get your eyes moving a bit to prevent any problems.
Shiroslullaby

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 07, 2016, 01:58:02 PM

Even just looking away from the screen every half hour can reduce eye strain.
Give your eyes a minute to focus on something else.

Personally as someone who works with computers I've been interested in these "computer glasses"
but since I need a prescription to see, it becomes much more complicated.
Ive seen places that will make some tinted prescription Zeiss lenses, but that is adding to the already high.

doublemore (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2016, 07:54:36 AM

yo guys, everyone who replied in this topic thanks very much!!

im going to see an optician i heard they can do glasses for computers only at the one near me, im not sure if they'll just give me something i could get on ebay for £5 or what but we will see.

Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: