Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 01:22:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Made temporary bitcoin.info wallet and didn't back up -- Forgot passphrase...  (Read 425 times)
DarkStar7 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 03:56:14 AM

Is there anyone that can help? I e-mailed Dave with WalletRecoveryServices but haven't heard back. I have the correct identifier, transaction ID and MOST of my password. I also have the addresses involved (where the BTC was sent FROM and where it was sent TO). I can prove that I own the wallet as I am the only one who has access to where the coins came from (it's an account that I set up and verified with my phone number, etc.).

If someone can help I am willing to pay a fee. Like I said, I have the correct identifier, and most of the password; I just can't fill in the blanks. What should I do? I contacted the support desk at bitcoin.info and they verified the identifier etc. but are obviously unable to release the password since they don't actually *have it*.

If someone could at the very least point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. It's only about 0.77 BTC so not much but I am willing to pay a fee if someone can help me crack the password. I don't have the wallet.dat file or whatever as it wasn't backed up and like an impatient idiot I failed to write down my mneumonic...

I know. Stupid. I've never even considered doing something like this before. I was impatient and created a blockchain.info wallet on the fly with a (what I thought to be) easy to remember password. I got into the screen, transferred the BTC from my account to the wallet and while waiting for confirmations, it refreshed the page by itself and logged me out!!

So now I'm stuck here with no real options and have no idea what to do. If someone can help me I would be grateful beyond words.

Thank you.

Regards,

- DS
PassThePopcorn

Activity: 465
Merit: 309

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 04:11:36 AM

Is there anyone that can help? I e-mailed Dave with WalletRecoveryServices but haven't heard back. I have the correct identifier, transaction ID and MOST of my password. I also have the addresses involved (where the BTC was sent FROM and where it was sent TO). I can prove that I own the wallet as I am the only one who has access to where the coins came from (it's an account that I set up and verified with my phone number, etc.).

If someone can help I am willing to pay a fee. Like I said, I have the correct identifier, and most of the password; I just can't fill in the blanks. What should I do? I contacted the support desk at bitcoin.info and they verified the identifier etc. but are obviously unable to release the password since they don't actually *have it*.

If someone could at the very least point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. It's only about 0.77 BTC so not much but I am willing to pay a fee if someone can help me crack the password. I don't have the wallet.dat file or whatever as it wasn't backed up and like an impatient idiot I failed to write down my mneumonic...

I know. Stupid. I've never even considered doing something like this before. I was impatient and created a blockchain.info wallet on the fly with a (what I thought to be) easy to remember password. I got into the screen, transferred the BTC from my account to the wallet and while waiting for confirmations, it refreshed the page by itself and logged me out!!

So now I'm stuck here with no real options and have no idea what to do. If someone can help me I would be grateful beyond words.

Thank you.

Regards,

- DS
Do you mean blockchain.info? I never knew bitcoin.info was a wallet, I do believe that the recovery service requires the wallet.dat but I could be mistaken on that. Also having access to the sending address is meaningless and does not prove ownership of the recipient address.
DarkStar7 (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 04:20:48 AM

Since I know what the passphrase starts and ends with and is less than 26 or so characters long -- no spaces, all lower-case -- isn't there a way to simply bruteforce it? Or no?... I've tried running python script like btcrecover etc. but I have no clue when it comes to programming. TY for the reply.
Alaki

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 04:31:35 AM

Is there anyone that can help?
Neh, no one can help you out here with that.
I e-mailed Dave with WalletRecoveryServices but haven't heard back.
Basically, I haven't heard of such service available on the net. However, don't believe on any such services. Most probably they'll ask as much information as they can from you & in the end even if they crack your password you'll never see your btc in your wallet.

Take this as a lesson & always write up  your backup copy in a piece of paper.
DarkStar7 (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 07:05:45 AM

I'm sure the password will come to me. I made it and it's not that hard to remember; just odd. Something similar to what I'd normally use for a secure password but slightly unconventional. Oh well. Worst comes to worst I lost $350. Unlikely. Even if down the road months from now it'll pop into my head.

Just gonna forget about it for a while and let it come to me. Undecided
merelcoin

Activity: 675
Merit: 504

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 07:09:16 AM

If you're talking about blockchain.info, i have some bad news for you: they don't store the unencrypted version of your your private key: https://blockchain.info/en/wallet/anonymity

This means they cannot help you in recovering your wallet, since they would also need your password in order to decrypt your private key... Since you have lost your password, i don't think there's a lot they can do about it.

I don't think they would allow you to brute-force a password, i think they'll block your ip after a couple hundred tries... So i guess you'll have to try to remember your password... sorry  Sad
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: