Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:06:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: LocalBitcoins in New York City Reputable Buyers/Sellers?  (Read 355 times)
viking02 (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

🌟 COMSA ICO: 10/02/17 🌟

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 09:33:15 PM

I'm from New york city but out of the country now.  I know localbitcoins is for selling bitcoin.  I like to know does anyone know legit buyers of bitcoin in new york city?  And if so, what is most common form of payment?  I see many people in localbitcoins accept cash.  But do most of these sellers meet up at coffeeshop for the transaction?  Or most meet up at bank where they deposit the cash in the bank for you.  The issue with accepting cash at coffeeshop is you have to make sure the cash is real and not counterfeit.  So you would basically have a pen to mark every single bill just to make sure its real?  Then again im not sure u want to do this in public where ppl can see it.

Also when people do this, generally how much cash is it?  I mean if its like 200 or 500 or 1000, okay that isn't big deal.  But if you want to sell btc for like 5k or 10k or 15k cash, are you really meeting in a coffeeshop?
I would assume most just meet up at bank?  The other thing is this.  Assuming you meet up at a bank, generally do they just give you the cash, then you go and deposit it into bank account, then you get receipt, then you release the coins?  Or do they deposit the case, then give you the receipt right there on the spot etc.  But that could be easily a scam since they could give you another receipt.  So i figure they give you cash in envelope at the bank, you deposit it... then get receipt... then you go and release your coins... correct?  And just want to make sure since i haven't deposited cash in bank in a long time.  But if any bills are counterfeit, the bank would know immediately right the moment you deposit the cash or the other guy deposit the cash so there isn't any issue later on after you release the coins?  Also i have deposited cash before in an atm.  But would this be the same thing.  Like if someone wanted to buy 1000 dollars worth of bitcoin... they give u cash... u deposit atm... atm accepts.. give you receipt... then you are good to go with releasing your coins?

Also i assume most ppl meet up in coffeeshop as oppose to bank and want cash due to not wanting to pay taxes/IRS right?  So basically its a foolish way because unless cash is deposited into bank... theres always a chance to get scammed?  I heard certain bills could look very legit but it isn't as well because they are good fakes.  Can someone tell me who are reputable buyers here?  Also i assume very few sellers scam right compared to buyers?

,,,,╓╖µpp╖╖,,,,
                         ,╓g▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄µ╖          ,╖
                     ,╓@▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓Ñ╖    ,@▓▌
                  ,á▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓µ╫▓▓▓▌
                ╓@▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▀╜╙            '╙▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
              ╓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▀`                       ╙▀▓▓▓███████▌
             @▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀`            ,,,,,         ,g▓███████▀`
           ╓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▀         ,µ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▓▓▄@, ,@▓███████▀
          ]▓▓▓▓███▓`       ╓▄▓█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█████████████▓╜
         ]▓▓▓▓█▓█╝       ╓▓█████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓████████████▀╜
         ▓▓▓▓███▌       ╙▓███████▓▒       "▀▓██████▀`
        ╫▓▓▓███▌          "▀████████▄        '▓██▀
        ▓█▓███▓▒            `▀████████▄,       `
       ]▓█████▌                ╙████████▓,
       ]▓█████▌                  ╙▓█▓█▓▓▓█▓╖
       ]▓█████▌                    ╙▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╖
        ▓█████▓[            ,,       `▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
        ▓██████[            ╓@        ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╖
        ╠██████▓          ╓▓▓▓▓m        ╙▓█▓▓▓▓▓█▓@
         ▓█████╜       ,g▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄╖╖,,,╓╖▓▓██▓▓▓▓▓▓
         └▓█▓╜       ,@▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓████████████▓▓█▀
          '"       ╓@▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▓▓▓▓█████████████▀╙        ,
                 ╓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╜    ╙▀▀▀▀▓▓▓▀▀▀▀╜          ╓▓▓▓╖
               g▓█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓`                          ,g▓▓▓▓▓▓▓w
            ,g▓██████████▓▄,                    ,╓@▓▓█▓▓▓█▓██╜
            ▓████████████████▓▄▄p╖,,     ,,╓µ▄▄▓██████████▓╜
            ▓█████╜╙▀███████████████████████████████████▀`
            ▓██▓╜     "▀▀███████████████████████████▀╜`
            ▓▀`            ╙▀▀▀███████████████▀▀▀"
. COMSA
ICO: Oct 2 - Nov 6
█████
▄▄▄
███
███
▀▀▀
███
███
███
▀▀▀
███
███
███
█████
█████
▄▄▄▄▄
█████
█████
▀▀▀▀▀
█████
█████
█████
▀▀▀▀▀
█████
█████
█████
█████

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 10:39:31 PM

I think people wish to trade at a bank because if they get robbed (scammed) while in a bank then law enforcement will have a lot of information to go on in order to track down the scammer's identity as well as the fact that law enforcement generally puts in a lot of resources into investigating crimes (especially robberies) that take place at banks.

The reasons why people like to trade bitcoin at places like a coffee shop is because coffee shops are often crowded so there will be plenty of witnesses in the event that something goes "too wrong". Also if a deal goes smoothly in a coffee shop then it is unlikely that anyone around will bat you an eye or even really notice that you are there.

I am not sure about the specific procedures that people follow when trading BTC <--> cash, nor am I aware of the amounts that are generally involved. I would think however that both parties would be present at the teller window when the cash is deposited so both parties can witness if the teller accepts the deposit.

I believe that people likely want to deal with cash because it is probably the most difficult to "reverse" out of all the payment methods available to trade bitcoin. Cash transactions also provide a lot of anonymity between the buyer and the seller.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: