Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:25:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MPEx & Bitcoin Stock Exchanges  (Read 5701 times)
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2013, 06:26:09 PM

No mention of Crypto::Stocks?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 07:53:05 AM

Because it has about two assets with any value in them.
Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 11:16:52 AM

How is that different to MPEX ?

MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 01:45:24 PM

Dude, seriously already. MPEx mkt cap is something like 1.x mn Bitcoins. This is more than everything else by orders of magnitude. It's more than most countries' actual fiat stock exchange. MOST COUNTRIES. Lay the crap to rest already, it's not doing you any favors.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Peter Lambert

Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 08:44:53 PM

Different because MPEx does not also have a bunch of worthless cruft cluttering it.
Different because MPEx has other stuff besides stocks (like options).

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2013, 09:05:25 PM

Different because MPEx does not also have a bunch of worthless cruft cluttering it.

Cryptostocks also has options.

xavier (OP)

Activity: 260

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 01:19:36 AM

This is why exchanges with public asset lists are important (for example, BitFunder). Even if BitFunder suddenly shuts down, asset issuers will be able to know who owned what.

Ah yes, thank you for this link.

But I guess you also have to rely on the asset issuers themselves honouring the contracts made on any individual stock exchanges - ultimately they could just neglect to pay a dividend for 1 month. How would you enforce that? And without any formal contracts or if a stock exchange went down, how would you trade out of the stock at a future date?
Monster Tent

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 01:59:19 AM

This is why exchanges with public asset lists are important (for example, BitFunder). Even if BitFunder suddenly shuts down, asset issuers will be able to know who owned what.

But I guess you also have to rely on the asset issuers themselves honouring the contracts made on any individual stock exchanges - ultimately they could just neglect to pay a dividend for 1 month. How would you enforce that? And without any formal contracts or if a stock exchange went down, how would you trade out of the stock at a future date?

They shouldnt be called stock exchanges at all but renamed to Gambling. Because thats essentially what happens.

Deprived

Activity: 532

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 02:01:21 AM

Asset issuers can default at any time without needing the exchange to go down.  In GLBSE's case the lack of any provision of investors' details provided a convenient window for issuers to vanish/claim ignorance (or do a Gigavps and charge a hefty fee for recognition of your claim - pricing smaller non-US investors out of their holdings).  That excuse has gone with BTC.CO and (to an extent) Bitfunder (the asset list there is incomplete - as it only includes investors who opted in by providing a BTC address or ticking a box  to allow sharing of their email address) but the capability for issuers to vanish is ALWAYS present and, without enforcement of contracts, can't be seriously mitigated.

All the time there are issuers there will be issuers who default.  The rate of default/failure has to be factored in when deciding what rate of return is acceptable for investments (over-simplifying, if 10% of assets default/fail per 3 months then you have to make 11% profit per 3 months on the 90% just to break even - so anything paying less than ~ 4% per month should be ignored unless you have good reason to believe it's in the 90% not the 10%.  Those numbers are illustrative not intended to be taken as fact - actual default/failure rate may be lower or higher: my money's on higher, dependent on how you define default/failure.)
Monster Tent

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 08:07:31 AM

https://btcjam.com/listings/2053  this is one cool feature introduced by btc.co I havent seen elsewhere.

MPOE-PR

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 08:14:14 AM

Asset issuers can default at any time without needing the exchange to go down.  In GLBSE's case the lack of any provision of investors' details provided a convenient window for issuers to vanish/claim ignorance (or do a Gigavps and charge a hefty fee for recognition of your claim - pricing smaller non-US investors out of their holdings).  That excuse has gone with BTC.CO and (to an extent) Bitfunder (the asset list there is incomplete - as it only includes investors who opted in by providing a BTC address or ticking a box  to allow sharing of their email address) but the capability for issuers to vanish is ALWAYS present and, without enforcement of contracts, can't be seriously mitigated.

All the time there are issuers there will be issuers who default.  The rate of default/failure has to be factored in when deciding what rate of return is acceptable for investments (over-simplifying, if 10% of assets default/fail per 3 months then you have to make 11% profit per 3 months on the 90% just to break even - so anything paying less than ~ 4% per month should be ignored unless you have good reason to believe it's in the 90% not the 10%.  Those numbers are illustrative not intended to be taken as fact - actual default/failure rate may be lower or higher: my money's on higher, dependent on how you define default/failure.)

This of course runs into the problem of the interest vicious circle (as expected returns go up to compensate for rate of failure actual businesses are selected against, actual scams are selected for).

Cryptostocks also has options.

"To have" does not mean "there is the word written on a web page".

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
BitcoinINV

Activity: 448

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 04:55:42 PM

https://btcjam.com/listings/2053  this is one cool feature introduced by btc.co I havent seen elsewhere.

That is pretty darn cool.

MPOE-PR

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 11:58:16 PM

Only because you're not on MPEx. Among actual traders it has been going on for over a year by now. Sucks to be irrelevant, I guess.

BitcoinINV

Activity: 448

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 12:10:14 AM

Only because you're not on MPEx. Among actual traders it has been going on for over a year by now. Sucks to be irrelevant, I guess.
Says the secretary

MPOE-PR

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 05:07:20 PM

Says the secretary

No, actually, I'm the forum PR person.

kakobrekla

Activity: 714

Psi laju, karavani prolaze.

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 05:24:44 AM

MPEX also has a socket connection / Sierra chart plugin Smiley

http://bitcoin-assets.com/mpex-socket/

burnside
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1006

Lead Blockchain Developer

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2013, 05:46:44 AM

MPEX also has a socket connection / Sierra chart plugin Smiley

http://bitcoin-assets.com/mpex-socket/

Very cool.  Nice work!
MPOE-PR

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 03:21:32 PM

That worked well.

Peter Lambert

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 10:32:47 PM

That worked well.

Just imagine how much worse it would have been without the asset lists!

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Branny

Activity: 406

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 02:29:59 AM

Bitfunder sent asset lists of all shareholders to the issuers when they said they would. If there's a share mitigation issue it's on the issuer's end and not on Bitfunder.

That doesn't excuse ukyo of anything, however as far as the asset lists went they were semi-useful.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: