Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:27:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Trading 1 BTC for house in New Zealand  (Read 3267 times)
deeplink (OP)

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 02:05:49 PM
Last edit: February 24, 2013, 01:18:10 PM by deeplink

In as little trades as possible I want to trade 1 BTC for a house in New Zealand.

Yeah I know this idea is ripped, but don't you think Bitcoin should have it's own Red Paperclip Story?  Cheesy

BTW it doesn't have to be a palace like Kim Dotcom. But a livable home with some land would be nice.

So how does it work?

Send me your offers to trade for 1 BTC and I will pick the best one to start this off. After the first trade has been made, I will put the new item up to receive bids for the next trade.

Update:
First trade has been made with Phinnaeus Gage. Waiting for shipped items to arrive. Accepting new bids!
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3073

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2013, 02:23:32 PM

I will get you started and sell you the one paperclip for 1btc.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
galaxyAbstractor

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2013, 04:02:55 PM

My offer: An half-broken (it works but the tip doesn't come out more than 3mm) "rotate-to-use" pen, with a stylus on the non-tip side.

1gaLaxy9csuBTvNLJYoUy6sengQbh1TpV
Pyramining - Invest in mining!
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 04:06:34 PM

Goodluck even renting a night in a japanese sleeper pod for 1btc

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
bb113

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 04:10:36 PM

Heres something that you may actually be able to trade up:

http://www.amazon.com/Applied-Magnets-Neodymium-Magnet-Block/dp/B0012DK8HY/ref=sr_1_6?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1361549328&sr=1-6&keywords=Neodymium

How would this work?
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 04:17:26 PM

Perhaps the fastest and easiest way to the house is to just hold onto that one coin for a while... Wink

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
deeplink (OP)

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 04:17:58 PM

I will get you started and sell you the one paperclip for 1btc.

Thanks for the offer, which I would gladly take if you can proof that it is the original paperclip!   Wink
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2013, 05:57:12 PM

If you're serious, then I have an offer that may be hard to turn down. It'll even include free shipping. I'll offer you a choice of three books proven to each have a value over $60 USD. You pick the book. I'll even ship first with confirmation and insurance (hopefully you're in the US), whereupon after you receive it, I'll expect payment.

You game? I'm assuming this'll be the best first offer.

~Bruno K~
deeplink (OP)

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 06:24:37 PM

jack, I'm not trying to buy a house for 1 BTC at once but trade for bigger and better things. We'll see how it goes. See One Red Paperclip where I got the idea  Cheesy

Perhaps the fastest and easiest way to the house is to just hold onto that one coin for a while... Wink
You may be right, but this is much more fun isn't it  Cheesy
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2013, 06:51:25 PM

jack, I'm not trying to buy a house for 1 BTC at once but trade for bigger and better things. We'll see how it goes. See One Red Paperclip where I got the idea  Cheesy

You may be right, but this is much more fun isn't it  Cheesy

And what about my doubling of value offer?
deeplink (OP)

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 06:57:18 PM
Last edit: February 22, 2013, 07:07:23 PM by deeplink

Thanks Phinn for your generous offer! I am considering it very hard and it is the best offer so far. Will you let us know which books we are talking about?

And I have a request, would you sign it? I mean, having the highest post count (and possibly the strangest sense of humor  Wink on bitcointalk does make you kind of a celebrity  Grin  I love your posts by the way.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2013, 07:23:32 PM

Thanks Phinn for your generous offer! I am considering it very hard and it is the best offer so far. Will you let us know which books we are talking about?

And I have a request, would you sign it? I mean, having the highest post count (and possibly the strangest sense of humor  Wink on bitcointalk does make you kind of a celebrity  Grin  I love your posts by the way.

Why don't you just go and fuck yourself? Do you have any idea as to how many times I F5'd this broken-down laptop waiting for this half-ass reply? I could have been entertaining my shadow goats. That said, I'll get the list up shortly.

Later, bud.

~Bruno K~
deeplink (OP)

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 07:31:04 PM

And I have a request, would you sign it? I mean, having the highest post count (and possibly the strangest sense of humor  Wink on bitcointalk does make you kind of a celebrity  Grin  I love your posts by the way.

Why don't you just go and fuck yourself? Do you have any idea as to how many times I F5'd this broken-down laptop waiting for this half-ass reply? I could have been entertaining my shadow goats. That said, I'll get the list up shortly.

Later, bud.

~Bruno K~

About an hour? You certainly have star qualities, even the attitude matches!

Thanks mate, I look forward to your list.
yochdog
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 07:38:08 PM

Will trade you this:

http://www.orbitmicro.com/global/wd1500adfd-r-p-15483.html?ref=base&gclid=CKeVzqDVyrUCFad_QgodIWcA4A

I am a trusted trader!  Ask Inaba, Luo Demin, Vanderbleek, Sannyasi, Episking, Miner99er, Isepick, Amazingrando, Cablez, ColdHardMetal, Dextryn, MB300sd, Robocoder, gnar1ta$ and many others!
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2013, 01:59:45 AM

The following video depicts shipping one of those super-duper neodymium magnets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zO9nWgI_LY

Somebody explain to me how that's possible considering that every electrical device it sets near could be ruined. Would you place your laptop next to any size common magnet?

In my next post to this thread, I'm going to list 9 books for deeplink to choose from.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2013, 02:43:52 AM

Only 7 (not 9), for two of the books I found at a cheaper price than originally searched a couple hours ago. To the best of my knowledge, the following prices (in yellow glow) reflect the cheapest you can purchase the exact edition for in any condition.

ART AND HANDICRAFT IN THE WOMAN'S BUILDING OF THE WORLD'S COLUMBIAN EXPOSITION CHICAGO, 1893 $100.00

The Life of Joan of Arc, The Maid of Orleans $85.00

The Common Law Tradition: Deciding Appeals $75.00

Take Your Choice: Separation or Mongrelization $90.00

VOYAGES AND DISCOVERIES OF THE COMPANIONS OF COLUMBUS No. 72 of 374 copies. $65.00

Art-Life and Other Poems $75.00

An Historical Review of the State of Ireland $175.00
deeplink (OP)

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 03:38:29 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2013, 09:38:02 PM by deeplink

Thanks galaxyAbstractor, bitcoinbitcoin113, yochdog and Phinnaeus Gage for your proposals. I liked all of your offers, but a decision has to be made.

The purpose is of course to trade for bigger and better things. At least something that I might be able to trade up in the future.

galaxyAbstractor, I cannot trade for the half-broken pen, useful as it still may be   Cheesy

bitcoinbitcoin113, I like magnets, but I'm afraid they may erase my computer as Phinn pointed out, including my bitcoin wallet, in which case I wouldn't be able to pay you for it

yochdog, the harddisk you are offering has a wide price range on the internet, but I found one on eBay which I think is the same: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Digital-150-GB-SATA-150GB-WD1500ADFD-00NLR1-/221192145913

Phinnaeus Gage, our favorite local celebrity and entertainer, has made some great offers. I've done research on the books that are offered and I'd want to read all of them, if only I had the time.

Phinn, are these books new or used and would you sign it if we trade?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2013, 04:59:58 PM

Thanks galaxyAbstractor, bitcoinbitcoin113, yochdog and Phinnaeus Gage for your proposals. I liked all of your offers, but a decision has to be made.

The purpose is of course to trade for bigger and better things. At least something that I might be able to trade up in the future.

galaxyAbstractor, I cannot trade for the half-broken pen, useful as it still may be   Cheesy

bitcoinbitcoin113, I like magnets, but I'm afraid they may erase my computer as Phinn pointed out, including my bitcoin wallet, in which case I wouldn't be able to pay you for it

yochdog, the harddisk you are offering has a wide price range on the internet, but I found one on eBay which I think is the same: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Digital-150-GB-SATA-150GB-WD1500ADFD-00NLR1-/221192145913

Phinnaeus Gage, our favorite local celebrity and entertainer, has made some great offers. I've done research on the books that are offered and I'd want to read all of them, if only I had the time. The most valuable book when I look at the prices on Amazon seems to be: The Common Law Tradition: Deciding Appeals (Amazon) More interesting but that is of course subjective is: Take Your Choice: Separation or Mongrelization (Amazon)  But it can be bought for less than 1 BTC at Amazon

Phinn, are these books new or used and would you sign it if we trade?

They are used as in antique, vintage, collectible. As far as the book Take Your Choice: Separation or Mongrelization is concern, the price reflected on Amazon is of a reprint, whereas the one I offer is 1st ed./1st pr., hence provided the link to where one can purchase it at the current cheapest price point.

And I will sign it if you desire.

More on your hybrid red paperclip idea.

Yes, the idea has been done before, BUT not with starting with a crypto-currency, namely Bitcoin. Therefore, if you take this project of yours to fruition, you'll be the first, and I would be honored to be a part of it even if I have to send you both books to insure you get off a runnin'.

You mentioned in the OP that your goal is to do this quickly. You may need to nix that adverb and go with 'just do it' regardless of the time it takes to reach said goal. Done properly, you're looking at no less than a year, but should be obtainable in no more than two.

I suggest revisiting the red paperclip website/blog for further inspiration and incorporate the elements he does right, improving upon those that may make your project better. Documenting every step is a given, especially if entities come on board in the chain who desire to have their participation linked to some site, acting as a form of advertising for their kind contribution.

You may not need to concern yourself with each traction being pure in some sense, for the real goal is to continue to trade up, starting with one bitcoin to a house--a real house that you own, and not one you live in for only a year, if I recall the end result of the red paperclip account correctly.

I further suggest buying a domain name for your project and set up a self-hosted WP blog. It doesn't need to be fancy, but at least be professional looking. No really need to worry about SEO and all that other marketing crap, though the more you do put into it at the beginning, the easier it would be to garner the bigger trades down the road. A decent domain name that comes to mind is 1bitcoin2ahouse.com. Simple, and to the point.

I'm not exactly sure how you plan on proceeding with the trading aspect, but it looks like you're planning on selling the items for BTC, using the proceeds to move up the ladder in kind. If that's the case, that's fine for this being a Bitcoin project.

I guess it would look something like the following:

• 1 BTC for book(s)
  • Books sold as quickly as possible for BTC, now having ~2X BTC
  • Make another purchase (trade) with ~2X BTC
  • Sell that item, too, for a greater profict
  • Repeat/Rinse
  • HOUSE

I hope the above aids you in your quest.

~Bruno K~
deeplink (OP)

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 09:19:00 PM
Last edit: February 24, 2013, 01:21:26 PM by deeplink

I am very happy to announce that the first deal has been struck!

Phinnaeus Gage - the funniest member of bitcointalk.org who also happens to have the highest post count - has agreed to trade a couple of books for 1 BTC. He will also include an autographed statement.

You can soon become the owner of any of these items.

Each of these books are valuable items by themselves in these exact editions.

I will report back with more detailed descriptions after receiving the items.

Anyone interested in doing the next trade is encouraged to contact me with an offer. This can be anything with value, like BTC, another item, a service, etc. If you can offer something bigger or better to trade, I like to hear it.
deeplink (OP)

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 01:27:00 PM

The payment of 1 BTC has been sent to Phinnaeus Gage

https://blockchain.info/tx-index/57267688/385d310bbf8c42f40bfc2f19d39790ee2ba75297f6ff721e2e00d4888f28bf65
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: