Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 05:32:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin drop to $60  (Read 3651 times)
makem

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 04:10:19 PM

600$ would be even better  Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
EvilLizardApparel

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 04:12:14 PM

Using "Trends" to speculate future price is never a guarantee. People tried that with US Airways, it went bankrupt obviously. This is years ago, but still.
blackreplica

Activity: 224

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2013, 11:29:38 AM

Getting in last year would have been a great time. The way it is now, though with an all time high just reached, it would take a bit of faith to buy in now. Though if one really believed and was willing to hold on to them a while I think they would still make big money

www.sgBitcoin.net - The Premier News, Discussion & Marketplace Destination for the Singaporean Bitcoin Community
akspecs

Activity: 42

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 02:55:36 AM

Why? What's wrong with speculation?

Speculation is not wrong - but when a large number of individuals are speculating the way they are now, it leads to bubbles - like the recent '07-'08 crisis.  People freak out and sell off and it causes serious instability.  The kind of speculation bitcoin is experiencing is not good for the community as a whole.

Bitcoin needs more adoption - but not from speculators.  It needs larger scale adoption from more retailers and people who want to accept bitcoin as a method of payment.  It needs adoption from individuals who want to use it as a better method of transferring funds overseas.  With how unstable things are now, and the upcoming inevitable pullback - it'll only hurt bitcoin's reputation.

Of course these are my views, and I have a bias in the long term success in bitcoin.  But the closer this resembles a currency, the better.

So far we are seeing all other fiat currencies outperform bitcoin in terms of stability, (except for a few notable exceptions like the Japanese Yen).

Now, I'm not saying bitcoin hasn't appreciated in value more - but this is not stability.

Putting things into perspective, less than a year ago 2 . . . 2.5 BTC bought 1 oz of silver.

Today, 1 BTC buys more than an oz of silver.  This is just phenomenal in one sense, (it's providing one of the best opportunities that have existed in the history in BTC -> to buy silver with your BTC). 

That previous example won't stick though.  Just my 2 satoshis.
debianlinux

Activity: 221

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 03:02:03 AM

Once BFL labs start shipping, we will see more BTC generated and this price could go down.

You are right for a very temporary and shortlived window which doesn't really affect the big picture you're talking about. The network adjusts to keep bitcoin generation at a near constant rate, so no, the introduction to ASIC to the market does not have the effect of any higher rate of bitcoin generation than we have today save a short period of time for the network to adjust to a suddenly increased hash rate.
rta

Activity: 18

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 04:02:35 PM

Today, 1 BTC buys more than an oz of silver.  This is just phenomenal in one sense, (it's providing one of the best opportunities that have existed in the history in BTC -> to buy silver with your BTC). 

Know anywhere to buy silver with prices close to spot? Buying with BTC's are great and all, but if the margin is much higher than when buying with dollars, it doesn't really make sense.
Dooley28

Activity: 3

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 07:24:17 PM

Know anywhere to buy silver with prices close to spot? Buying with BTC's are great and all, but if the margin is much higher than when buying with dollars, it doesn't really make sense.

Agreed.
akspecs

Activity: 42

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 06:00:43 AM

There are plenty of situations where this may or may not make sense.

In most cases it absolutely does not make sense to trade USD -> BTC -> SILVER for an example.

In my specific case, I had been mining BTC for a few months prior to 2013, and all of 2013.  I also put a few paychecks directly into BTC just to hold.  In this time BTC had soared.  Rather than converting my BTC to USD and waiting a few days to receive my money, also paying the transfer fees and commissions to trade on Mt. Gox, I decided to directly trade BTC for silver.  The mark up isn't as drastic as you say, and there are many sites which will mark up physical silver less than $2.  Although silver eagles are relatively expensive, silver buffalo's can trade within this range I mention (currently sub $30 if buying more than a particular amount, only a $1.30 premium to spot).  At the time of this posting, 1 oz silver eagles can be bought for ~ $32 . . . $33, while BTC is trading at BTC1 > $34.

So in short, I've never owned more physical silver in my life.  I'll plan to make a seperate post about this later.  This is one of the best opportunities anyone who holds BTC to get into silver.
niner

Activity: 189

You are here ---------> but you're not all there.

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2013, 07:57:38 AM

I first heard and "got involved" in June 2010 I was set to make a mint if I hadn't been an idiot and thought it was a fad. I don't have that wallet anymore and am trying to get back into the game, but feel like I may have been passed by on this. Getting in at $.10/BTC made sense. Getting in now feels like a major battle. I don't see any reason why there should be a $60 ceiling. BTC commerce is based on its own market and imho, the offline market value is strictly there for reference purposes. At some point when the entire financial system goes bust BTC will still act as a form of payment for digital goods and services, thus giving it a value of its own. I love that it is ~$30 because it is essentially money that has been created from thin air, and the world will start taking note because of this. When it hits $60, they will have to stand up and take note. It will be interesting to watch, but I trust we will see it shoot past 60 with ease.

I stood around doing a lot of hand-wringing that I hadn't got in under $5 ... watched it all the way up to about $26 then finally started accumulating.  I gained a little more confidence every day but the waiting was more excruciating than actually buying in and risking it.

Ⓑ Ⓘ Ⓣ Ⓒ Ⓞ Ⓘ Ⓝ 1NMBixVgJyA63MExRuChcxjhKAW1QkvZU4
digital49ers.com   bitcoin.de   Alt Coins: CryptsyVircurex
primeasic
Donator

Activity: 18

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 08:57:14 AM

the more people actively use bitcoin the more fast the price will go up.

price would only fall from now on if there was a flaw found in the system, i guess.

would be nice to see it go up to 60, but that wouldn't be the top i think
eocfina

Activity: 7

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 09:37:30 AM

i hope price will be $50 in the summer  Smiley
peewee

Activity: 41

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 09:43:48 AM

When does it peak? Keep going after 60?
I believe it will. It will grow forever or fail to zero (if someone destroys internet). Looks like peak will be above $200 (this year), but then may be fall.

Bitcoin will fail at some time in future, nothing exist forever and do not forget bitcoin is the first crypto-currency but not nessearily the fittest either

The only reason it will fail is if we don't get enough computing power behind it before a government entity tries to take it over with obscene expenditures.   Bitcoin is built upon a distributed network with a combined computing power...as long as that gets to a point in excess of reasonable overload by an influx of tech from a government it will be around for a long time.

You don't to be kicking yourself wishing you'd thrown a couple hundred bucks at some microsoft stock back in the day (looking in mirror). It's a risk especially with the asic influx but looks like the asic manufacturers are spreading the wealth enough to prevent devaluing (a basic premise of bitcoin)
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 10:06:16 AM
Last edit: August 20, 2013, 05:45:54 AM by niko

Once BFL labs start shipping, we will see more BTC generated and this price could go down.
There are at least two problems with this statement.

1. BFL might never ship, or by the time they do the competition might have made their technology irrelevant

2. There will be no "more BTC generated," as network adjusts difficulty every 2016 blocks to maintain an average of 10 blocks generated per hour, or 150 coins mined per hour.  If BFL ever ships, much like any other vendor their shipments will gradually start arriving to miners over weeks and months - assembly, testing, shipping, customs, holidays, etc.

You comment would only make sense in the universe where BFL rigs magically show up in everybody's homes on the same day and start hashing, while most of GPUs, FPGA, and ASICMINER and Avalon ASICs mysteriously stop hashing at the same moment. Even then, BFL rigs would only manage to mine for a few days before they cause difficulty to jump)...

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Odalv (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 10:53:14 PM

Looks like prediction $200+ and correction to $60 done. :-) (faster than expected ... only few weeks)  ... next target $1000+ and correction to $300
pandapeluche

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:01:07 PM

what about other coins
Odalv (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:10:34 PM

what about other coins
I do not believe in other coins. It will take years to develop infrastructure (build markets, trusted exchanges, ASICS, find rich investors).
Garbaek

Activity: 21

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 11:20:28 PM

looks like its a rollercoaster these days for bitcoin..

stikonas

Activity: 12

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:25:01 PM

It might be stable for a few days around $90...
knocte

Activity: 44

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 12:19:34 AM

why?
Pouncer

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 12:40:10 AM

Not to $60.. more like to $1600 & beyond.
http://politicalmetals.com/2013/03/28/will-bitcoin-reach-parity-with-gold/

NXTtechdevfund  GPG Key ID: 0x903BC112
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: