Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:15:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Jailbreak -- Reputation?  (Read 1267 times)
eigenrick (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 04:10:24 PM

It has been often said that the internet could use a non-partisan, decentralized and trustworthy mechanism for tracking reputation. 
It seems to me that bitcoin's infrastructure could, with very little modification, be used to manage a reputational index for every participant in a safe and intuitive manner.

I wrote up my thoughts here:
http://eigenrick.com/posts/2011-06-09-another-use-for-bitcoin.html

Apologies if this in the wrong forum to post such a topic,  it seemed like the best option.

Thanks,
Rick

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 04:27:36 PM

A couple of problems with your idea.

The first is that mining must secure the chain directly, or there will be cheating.  Or at least no one can be sure that there isn't cheating, which is the same thing in that no one will trust it.

And second, what you are talking about is just money.  You might be willing to do a favor for someone you know, or that you know of.  Beyond that, they'd have to pay.  Wouldn't you rather they pay with money, which is ultimately a measure of the world's respect?

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
eigenrick (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 04:44:33 PM

The first is that mining must secure the chain directly, or there will be cheating.  Or at least no one can be sure that there isn't cheating, which is the same thing in that no one will trust it.

This seems tractable, thanks for pointing that out though.  I think with the classification concept, it may not matter, I will definitely have to research this further.   

Your other point is interesting:
And second, what you are talking about is just money.  You might be willing to do a favor for someone you know, or that you know of.  Beyond that, they'd have to pay.  Wouldn't you rather they pay with money, which is ultimately a measure of the world's respect?

I would both agree and disagree A simple counter example is, well, any number of business people who have made their money by robbing, stealing, or lobbying congress for anti-competitive practices aimed only at increasing their profits.  I have no respect for them, and I doubt many people do, but they seem to be rich.  I could see the argument that they are still implicitly respected by people continuing to purchase their products, but perhaps they have no choice.

Aside from the philosophical meaning of the resources that we'll be managing,  there is a problem of granularity and perceived value.  The Respect points themselves would be something that someone would not think twice about giving to someone else.  If I like a person's blog post,  I would be happy to throw some points their way, but I doubt I would want to pay them a bitcoin. 

Now that I think about it, the value of a bitcoin might be a tad high.. If I could pay them a tiny fraction of a bitcoin,  I probably would.  The difference is that I would want it to mean more more than the actual value of the bitcoin.  It would be the monetary equivalent of me flicking a penny to a busker. And such an act, while it increases their monetary value, is considered offensive.

Perhaps what is needed is a micro-donation site which tracks the token appreciation of people, and those tokens of appreciation just happen to be backed by bitcoins.

NO_SLAVE

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 04:45:26 PM

theres already a reputation site, call them and tell them to associate with BTC.

http://www.reputationdefender.com/

I am really starting to believe in this. Seems every transaction a huge amount of time is wasted trying to figure out if your dealing witha crim or not.  I mean the Bush family or Obama could be on the other end of the transaction, and who wants that?

eigenrick (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 04:55:33 PM

theres already a reputation site, call them and tell them to associate with BTC.
http://www.reputationdefender.com/

This site seems targeted more towards background-check style information gathering and removal. 

My proposal is definitely more towards a single metric which can be owned by a (not necessarily named) entity on the internet.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 05:47:13 PM

It has been often said that the internet could use a non-partisan, decentralized and trustworthy mechanism for tracking reputation. 

Would have expected an article like that to include at least a few comments on the #bitcoin-otc's Web of Trust system
 - http://bitcoin-otc.com/trust.php
 - http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratings.php

Including how you can establish a link to your ebay account or other place where your trust might be relevant
 - http://wiki.bitcoin-otc.com/wiki/GPG_Identity_Protocol

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

eigenrick (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 05:58:19 PM

Wow. Great resources!  I think a combination of the web of trust and bitcoin itself would provide an incredible feedback mechanism for communities.  I would be reluctant to use the bitcoin-otc rating system itself, because I wouldn't want to confuse trustworthyness with the ability to make a great youtube video.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: