Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 02:57:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Internet to SP30 via laptop  (Read 842 times)
Katun (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 2

View Profile
May 03, 2016, 09:39:46 PM

I need to set up an SP30 in my garage, because it trips the breaker if I run both boards. Problem is the lack of a wired connection in this area. I read that someone was able to provide a wired connection to their miner using a wirelessly connected laptop, but it did not say how they did it. Any ideas?
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 04, 2016, 02:00:28 AM

I need to set up an SP30 in my garage, because it trips the breaker if I run both boards. Problem is the lack of a wired connection in this area. I read that someone was able to provide a wired connection to their miner using a wirelessly connected laptop, but it did not say how they did it. Any ideas?

This is a temporary fix you can use connection sharing if using windows.  But to use a laptop vs a wireless to ethernet adapter.... is kinda not a long term plan.  The adapters are not that high and you will have a much lower cost option as far as electricity used.  And quite frankly it's a better quality product in a lot of cases compared to a old laptop.

Have you searched amazon?  There are a TON of products that do this.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
May 05, 2016, 07:08:26 AM

Undervolt so you're not tripping breakers 'till you get a more permanent solution in place?
I seem to recall the SP30 is supposed to be similar to the SP20 on voltage setting configurability....

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
merelcoin

Activity: 675
Merit: 504

View Profile
May 05, 2016, 07:14:05 AM

I've seen a couple people experiment with adaptors and yagi antenna's, but nothing beats an old fashioned utp cable.
Are you sure you cannot connect your garage with a switch in your home trough a normal cat5e or cat6 utp cable?

There's also the option of using those ethernet over powerline adaptors, but they won't work in certain setups (it's early in my country, i cannot find the correct technical terms yet).

I personally think running your miners over a wifi connection might not be a great idear in terms of stability... But that's just my (untested) opinion.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 05, 2016, 09:32:32 AM

I've seen a couple people experiment with adaptors and yagi antenna's, but nothing beats an old fashioned utp cable.
Are you sure you cannot connect your garage with a switch in your home trough a normal cat5e or cat6 utp cable?

There's also the option of using those ethernet over powerline adaptors, but they won't work in certain setups (it's early in my country, i cannot find the correct technical terms yet).

I personally think running your miners over a wifi connection might not be a great idear in terms of stability... But that's just my (untested) opinion.

Ethernet over power really depends on your setup, I have messed with them they worked surprisingly well as a temporary solution to get a Ethernet plug.  That being said I still was not happy overall and went straight cat cable.

But a single miner should have no problem with  a wireless to ethernet adapter (assuming range works).   If you get from amazon you can return if does not work (most big box stores are the same).     But I don't think wireless will be an issue with 1 miner assuming a good signal.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: