Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 05:55:14 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: True anonymity from bank to my paper wallet  (Read 1260 times)
philuk2000 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 03:56:26 PM

Hello all,

Well I have got my head around most things regarding bitcoins but really would love someone to answer this.

I want to transfer money from my bank account to my bitcoins paper wallet address anonymously.  Obviously I understand that my bank account identifies me in the first instance and that all bitcoin transactions are publicly available. So, I can set up an eWallet to have money from my bank put in and I understand that some exchanges have "mixing services".

First of all how can we trust those providing mixing services are actually doing this properly and secondly how do we know that the providers are not keeping a logs?

What is the best method for getting bitcoins to my address without a trail? (having an anonymous bank account is not an option I have!)

Thanks in advance

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4668

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 04:40:51 PM

Hello all,

Well I have got my head around most things regarding bitcoins but really would love someone to answer this.

I want to transfer money from my bank account to my bitcoins paper wallet address anonymously.  Obviously I understand that my bank account identifies me in the first instance and that all bitcoin transactions are publicly available. So, I can set up an eWallet to have money from my bank put in and I understand that some exchanges have "mixing services".

First of all how can we trust those providing mixing services are actually doing this properly and secondly how do we know that the providers are not keeping a logs?
You really can't.  I haven't seen anything yet that convinces me that any of the mixing services would prevent a careful forensic accounting review from tracing the movement of the coins. And I don't know of any way to be 100% certain that the mixing service you use isn't keeping logs.

What is the best method for getting bitcoins to my address without a trail? (having an anonymous bank account is not an option I have!)

It really depends on just how much anonymity you want.  If you really want "true anonymity", then the only way I can think of to get it is with an exchange of cash using a dead drop.  Of course the problem with that method is that it requires a lot of trust by one party that the completely anonymous other party will hold up their end of the deal.
philuk2000 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 04:47:08 PM

Thanks for quick the response.

It really depends on just how much anonymity you want.  If you really want "true anonymity", then the only way I can think of to get it is with an exchange of cash using a dead drop.  Of course the problem with that method is that it requires a lot of trust by one party that the completely anonymous other party will hold up their end of the deal.

I have heard of UKash but have never used it, could that be a viable option (is it traceable?), is it then possible to redeem the full value of UKash for bitcoins anonymously through Tor?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 04:51:55 PM

Thanks for quick the response.

I have heard of UKash but have never used it, could that be a viable option (is it traceable?), is it then possible to redeem the full value of UKash for bitcoins anonymously through Tor?
I'm not familiar with UKash.  How do you acquire the UKash in the first place?
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 04:59:27 PM

having an anonymous bank account is not an option I have!

Where are you located?

In the U.S. you can deposit cash at Chase bank for credit to your BitMe exchange account (or to Bank of America for credit to your BitFloor exchange account).

How much are you looking to trade?

There are traders on LocalBitcoins who don't ask questions, and fees can be reasonable depending on what you find.
 - http://www.LocalBitcoins.com

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 05:22:11 PM
Last edit: April 17, 2013, 11:07:15 PM by DannyHamilton

having an anonymous bank account is not an option I have!

Where are you located?

In the U.S. you can deposit cash at Chase bank for credit to your BitMe exchange account (or to Bank of America for credit to your BitFloor exchange account).

How much are you looking to trade?

There are traders on LocalBitcoins who don't ask questions, and fees can be reasonable depending on what you find.
 - http://www.LocalBitcoins.com

Of course it depends on exactly what you mean when  you say "True anonymity".

Those bank branches probably have a video surveillance system that will record your cash transaction, and there is no guarantee that the person you meet with from Localbitcoins.com  isn't keeping an image of you filed away with the transaction details.  Dead drop is the only way I can think of if you actually want "True anonymity".
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2013, 05:23:26 PM

What happens if you just mail somebody a couple $20 bills and include not a return address but a bitcoin address?

There are lots of people who'd accommodate this.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 05:33:26 PM
Last edit: April 18, 2013, 02:40:44 AM by DannyHamilton

What happens if you just mail somebody a couple $20 bills and include not a return address but a bitcoin address?

Not a bad idea.  Using the Postal Service as the dead drop location.

Let it be hereby known, that if I receive any US currency in the mail with a bitcoin address included, I will keep 10% as a service fee and exchange the rest of the cash for bitcoin at the current MtGox ask price.  I'll send the bitcoin to the included address.  If multiple addresses are included, I'll split the bitcoin evenly between the addresses unless there is a note indicating what percentage (or how much) of the bitcoin should be sent to each address.

US Currency and bitcoin address can be mailed to:

[ REDACTED ]

EDIT: My main source of bitcoins for sale was BitFloor.  As of 2013-04-17, they have ceased all operations.  The funds I use to purchase bitcoins for sale are currently tied up with them until I can get them transferred back to me.  Until then, I am unable to acquire the necessary bitcoins with the speed and cost needed to continue to provide this service.  I'll update this ticket when I have a new source for fast cheap bitcoins.

I only convert USD.  Any other currency received will be considered trash and tossed in the nearest trashcan

If you don't want to pay the 10% service fee, contact me.  I'm willing to negotiate on the fee (note that by contacting me you give up some anonymity, the 10% fee ensures complete anonymity since there is no need to contact me at all).

wtfvanity

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

WTF???

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 06:12:16 PM

Not a bad idea.  Using the Postal Service as the dead drop location.

Note, let it be hereby known, that if I receive any US currency in the mail with a bitcoin address included, I will keep 10% as a service fee and exchange the rest of the cash for bitcoin at the current MtGox ask price at the time of my opening of the envelope.  I'll send the acquired bitcoin to the included address.  If multiple addresses are included, I will split the bitcoin evenly between the addresses unless there is a note indicating what percentage of the acquired bitcoin should be sent to each address.

Grin

What's your address?

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 01:51:03 PM

Is the postal dead drop still working? How about international customers? Can I send you cash other than USD? Or does it have to be USD?

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 05:27:56 PM

Is the postal dead drop still working? How about international customers? Can I send you cash other than USD? Or does it have to be USD?

Yes, it is still working. Forgot to update the post after I returned (was wondering why I hadn't received anything recently.)

For now, I only convert USD.  Any other currency received will be considered trash and tossed in the nearest trashcan.

I'll update my post above and signature line right away.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 08:30:02 AM

Serious question, would you accept bank wires or western union or other forms of payment? (Anonymity not required for these.) I take it you get your bitcoins from at least one direct supplier here, but their minimum is $500 worth. I only want to buy 1 or 2 BTC.

I think, in the end, private sales are still private, and anonymity only stops with you, since you know. But if you don't tell anyone else, and no one asks, and you eventually forget, and you don't keep records, private sales can be considered almost anonymous.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 12:15:49 PM

but their minimum is $500 worth. I only want to buy 1 or 2 BTC.

With the current exchange rate over $250 per bitcoin, the 2 BTC you want puts you over the $500 minimum.

Serious question, would you accept bank wires or western union or other forms of payment?

I've never checked out Western Union.  I'll look into it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: