Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:40:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-02-22 mashable.com - Bitcoin's New Bubble: Digital Currency Now Trading at  (Read 1078 times)
Akka (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 06:04:36 PM

Bitcoin's New Bubble: Digital Currency Now Trading at $30

For the second time in Bitcoin’s history, the digital currency has surpassed an exchange rate of $30 per Bitcoin.

The exchange rate is a significant milestone for the four-year-old currency best known for enabling online drug deals, gambling and other illicit activity.

Since August, the decentralized currency has received numerous stamps of legitimacy, including the first-ever Bitcoin bank and the ability to pay for pizza with Bitcoins. Not to mention, it is now accepted as a form of payment for advanced features on popular blogging platform Wordpress.com.

"The price increase is at its core driven by improving fundamentals: good press, massive bitcoin adoption, less inflation and weak government-issued currencies," said theymos, moderator for Reddit's r/Bitcoin forum.

The Bitcoin exchange rate has risen steadily since last summer, when it hovered at about $4 per coin. It peaked at $35 in the summer of 2011, according to BlockChain. But that bubble quickly burst, and the value of a Bitcoin plummeted to $2.51.

“It is hard to say for sure why Bitcoin crashed the way it did,” wrote The Economist at the time. “One plausible hypothesis holds that the currency's rise was the result of a speculative bubble” caused by worldwide media coverage of Bitcoin’s rise.

News of the $30 rate has been a hot topic on r/Bitcoin over the past week, with users debating what the milestone means for the Bitcoin community.

"The USD is crashing but nothing nearly as dramatic as the BTC price rise. This is another bubble, just like the one in July 2011," insanityfarm commented in a thread on Feb. 13. "I'm only focused on the long-term, say 10 years out or more. I expect BTC will become a lot less volatile over time, and continue to increase in value as more people use it."

Theymos believes the future of the currency is still uncertain.

"The market still doesn't have a lot of depth, and the exact price is still determined mostly by speculation," theymos told the Daily Dot.

"I wouldn't be very surprised if the price quickly increased or decreased by $10. A higher, increasing price may attract more investment in Bitcoin businesses, which is good for the community. These milestones also generate news articles, which bring in new users. Bitcoin is a lot more than just the price, though; I'm much more interested in the innovative new Bitcoin sites that keep being created."

Short article so I quoted it compitly.

Source: http://mashable.com/2013/02/22/bitcoin-trading-at-30/

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Akka (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 06:06:06 PM

I really missed those statements:

...best known for enabling online drug deals, gambling and other illicit activity.

Roll Eyes

I hoped we where past this.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
alexanderanon

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 08:07:37 PM

Bah. Trash article.
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 08:23:02 PM

Bitcoin's over $30? Better have some guy without a clue write an article about it and include quotes from Reddit! Everyone knows what they're talking about on Reddit!

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 08:25:58 PM

best known for enabling online drug deals, gambling and other illicit activity.
Fail article detected

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 08:28:58 PM

best known for enabling online drug deals, gambling and other illicit activity.
Fail article detected

Exactly what I was looking at.  "Bitcoin?  You mean DRUGS AND CP?"

TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 10:36:49 PM

Mashable and Gizmodo have the same mouth-breather slant on new technology. Bitcoin is one that they do not understand - at all, and make no real attempt to do so. Anything coming from these guys will either be satire or outright falsehoods.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
iHeartSmartArt

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 04:11:10 AM

as someone who bought at $30.. i feel i urged more press to be released on bitcoin, even if its lousy

You are just in time for the first anonymous digital currency. https://darkcointalk.org/
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2013, 07:23:41 AM

as someone who bought at $30.. i feel i urged more press to be released on bitcoin, even if its lousy

Are you saying you bought at $30 two years ago or just now?

For bitcoin to survive long term, we'll want good press mostly.  Just a little lousy press to keep us realistic, but mostly good. Smiley

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
tjohej

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Magic Staff

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 12:05:57 PM

I really missed those statements:

...best known for enabling online drug deals, gambling and other illicit activity.

Roll Eyes

I hoped we where past this.
The article goes on with:
Since August, the decentralized currency has received numerous stamps of legitimacy, including the first-ever Bitcoin bank and the ability to pay for pizza with Bitcoins. Not to mention, it is now accepted as a form of payment for advanced features on popular blogging platform Wordpress.com.

Did you also all know that http://pizzaforcoins.com/ now accepts Pizza Hut as well as Papa John's?
Also I didn't find the article bashing Bitcoin.

There may still be hope for the 1st decentralized cryptocurrency which is Bitcoin. How to approach different subjects is key to progress.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: