Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 09:16:47 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Community feedback. What role should an alternative currency play in our lives?  (Read 408 times)
LCSociety (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 04, 2016, 05:35:25 PM
Last edit: May 19, 2016, 07:05:43 PM by LCSociety

Hiya everyone

Would be cool if i could get some insight from you guys as I have tried my hand at developing two alternative currencies and have ran into some interesting stumbling blocks on both occasions

Myself and some respected friends have put together the LC Society. Literally, the "Loose Change" society. We are throwing what little coins we have together to build a project that can maybe stand the test of time

So far we have two university professors as members; an economist, and a computer scientist... and will welcome anyone else that would like to join us and throw some ideas together. ** cough, cough*** maybe a programmer **cough** Cheesy

Anyway, the purpose of this post is maybe to gain some insight as to what people feel is missing in the alternative currency market, so that we can work together to perhaps create a solution

Thanks for reading

freshman777

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2016, 05:42:49 PM

What are the stumbling blocks you have run into?

ARDOR - Blockchain as a Service. Three birds with one stone. /// Do not hold NXT at exchanges, NXT wallets: core+lite, mobile Android
Rockovc

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 04, 2016, 06:15:39 PM

I think that an altcoin should have some use other than just speculation. For instance, we must use bitcoin if we want to trade any of it's alternatives, also we must use bitcoin if we want to transact via the internet despite having zero access to legacy banking systems

For me, I feel that there are no altcoins that have this kind of must attached to their existence
LCSociety (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2016, 08:25:54 PM
Last edit: May 19, 2016, 07:05:58 PM by LCSociety

What are the stumbling blocks you have run into?

I really want to somehow provide myself and the rest of the community with something that can make our crypto experience better than it is

I think that an altcoin should have some use other than just speculation. For instance, we must use bitcoin if we want to trade any of it's alternatives, also we must use bitcoin if we want to transact via the internet despite having zero access to legacy banking systems

For me, I feel that there are no altcoins that have this kind of must attached to their existence

Yes i agree with you

This is basically what I have been thinking but have not been able to articulate it as simply as this

It would most definitely be a challenge to create something that helps people in this way

Did you have any specific ideas?

tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1533

View Profile
May 04, 2016, 08:41:48 PM

An alternative coin should be at least a storage a value. In a world where new banks notes are printed as wished there is a lack of something really valuable like Gold, estates or Bitcoin in some way. A stable crypto coin can really help to improve our lives.
LCSociety (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2016, 09:21:33 AM

An alternative coin should be at least a storage a value. In a world where new banks notes are printed as wished there is a lack of something really valuable like Gold, estates or Bitcoin in some way. A stable crypto coin can really help to improve our lives.

Interesting. I think bitcoin itself is the most trusted method of storing value because it's chain is utterly secure, powerful and unrivaled by any altcoin.

Alternative currencies really should not be attempting to rival bitcoin but should add something entirely brand new to the crypto currency ecosystem as a whole, and this is what we're hoping that we can do. Difficult task, I know. But not impossible - at least we hope not  Cheesy

The only reason we use paper money in the first place is because gold was too heavy to carry around.... and then came credit cards that allowed us to save space in our wallets and also to instantaneously borrow money from banks.

Bitcoin itself is part of this natural space saving progression. Because now, we don't even need physical wallets. We all have digital wallets now that exist in an ethereal realm, and our money has now become inputs and outputs on a digital ledger.

Alternative currencies should somehow complement this.

Instead of pin pointing one or two of bitcoins understated features, and then using them as the 'main' features of some altcoin, we should really be attempting to bring something brand new to the table.

Maybe some of you guys have some cool ideas and would like to maybe join our society and we can hopefully create something new and useful for ourselves and everyone else?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: