Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:06:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin rings  (Read 7455 times)
goebat (OP)

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2011, 04:56:02 PM
Last edit: July 05, 2011, 01:29:45 PM by goebat

Greetings bitcoin community!

Since having my curiosity about bitcoin recently re-awakened (I looked into it about a year ago and could kick myself for not getting involved back then!), I have been pondering how to get in on the action and earn me some coin!

So, I designed a bitcoin ring and have 3 prototypes that I had printed at Shapeways (my shop address: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/toadstool). I was thinking of putting them up for auction on http://bitcoinhop.com/ but wanted to gauge the response here first.

Here are some pictures:

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/96/dsc0021qc.jpg
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/3479/dsc0022ecv.jpg
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/9269/dsc0025i.jpg
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/7785/dsc0027ii.jpg

The diameter at the widest point on these rings is just over 18mm, so they're quite small - just fits on my pinky finger, but I've got fairly big fingers.  They are in 2 different materials - 2 in stainless steel, and the other in antique bronze glossy (see the shapeways material guides for more info).  The photos are taken pretty close up - they don't look quite as rough in person!

If there is a lot of interest and I don't have any major issues converting bitcoin back into GBP I intend to revise the design somewhat and get some rings done in sterling silver (these should turn out much prettier - more detail).

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

--- Topic locked - continued here: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=26194.0

My Shapeways shop
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
FREE BTC every hour           |          More FREE BTC           |          Trade GH/s and mine BTC in the cloud           |          Scrypt cloud mining          |          Bitcoin Pyramid          |

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2011, 05:02:17 PM

WOW dude, you got some real talent!

I'd definitely be interested in one of these, at the right price

Cheers

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
goebat (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2011, 05:08:43 PM

Thanks, Yankee!  That's just the sort of response I was hoping for!

Given the current exchange rate, I figure I'll auction them off separately and start the bidding off at around .6BTC each to cover international shipping.

Cheers!

My Shapeways shop
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
FREE BTC every hour           |          More FREE BTC           |          Trade GH/s and mine BTC in the cloud           |          Scrypt cloud mining          |          Bitcoin Pyramid          |
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2011, 05:10:39 PM

Cool, please let me know what you decide to do!

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
goebat (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2011, 05:20:54 PM

@Yankee - Sure thing!

My Shapeways shop
heavyb

Activity: 217
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2011, 05:57:52 PM

these are cool, I would buy one!

goebat (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2011, 11:08:39 AM

Thanks heavyb - I'll be sure to let you guys know when I've put them up for auction.  Otherwise, feel free to make me an offer I can't refuse!

Cheers!

My Shapeways shop
Basiley

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 03:58:12 PM

good metalworx. nice to see thats someone still know what it is.
Litt

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 08:32:01 PM

.. And with our powers combined~!!  Grin

Awesome design. I would buy one in silver since I want to wear it for long time if I do get it. Prob will interest people who see me wear it and make it a great convo starter for bitcoin.
Threshold

Activity: 88

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2011, 08:57:15 PM

I am not a jewelry person, so I wouldn't buy one -- but they do look nice.

I'd hope that the person ordering could select a ring size and not be stuck with a pinky ring.

Earn free bitcoins at:  http://www.freebitcoins.org/4296
TheSocialHermit

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 09:19:38 PM

These are actually pretty neat! When you do them in sterling I'll buy one.
goebat (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2011, 01:15:28 PM

WOW - thanks for all the positive feedback!

@ Basiley: Er... I didn't actually hand craft these rings - I wish I had that kind of skill!  I modeled them in a 3D program (blender 3d - it's AWESOME!) and sent the file off to http://www.shapeways.com/.  They have these special machines that actually print out the designs layer by layer in various materials.  Sorry if that's disappointing to you, but it is a pretty fascinating process.

@ Litt: Haha - we'd better hope they end up with responsible owners!  You're spot on with the convo starter comment - I think that will be one of the main selling points - SPREAD THE WORD!

@ threshold - I'm still trying to figure out the best way to do this, but yes - ideally each customer should be able to choose their ring size.  These 3 are already made so there's no changing the size now.  I have no idea if jewellers are able to adjust the size of stainless steel rings as easily as silver - I somehow doubt they are.  What I'm thinking of doing is enlarging the ring in the next design and once I receive the ring in sterling silver and I'm happy with the quality I'll auction it off to get an idea of what people are willing to pay for it.  From then on I can do bespoke sizes.  I'm open to suggestions.

@ TheSocialHermit: Cheers mate!  I'll be sure to post in here when they're available in silver.

Cheers all - hope you enjoy what's left of the weekend.

My Shapeways shop
Btcworld24.com

Activity: 84

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2011, 01:29:49 PM

It's a great idea. Could you made rings with special wishes?

P.s. Sorry, my english isn't so well.

goebat (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2011, 01:53:53 PM
Last edit: June 16, 2011, 11:09:58 AM by goebat

That depends if the special wishes were:

• Within the realm of my 3D modelling ability
  • Within the design rules specifications for the particular material at shapeways
  • Cost effective - time is money!

My Shapeways shop
goebat (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2011, 12:11:09 PM

Hi All,

I have posted the first of the stainless steel rings up for auction at bitcoinhop:

http://bitcoinhop.com/auction_details.php?auction_id=100323

Get it while it's hot!

My Shapeways shop
goebat (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2011, 01:02:46 PM

Right - that's the first one sold!

Second ring now up: http://bitcoinhop.com/auction_details.php?auction_id=100334

My Shapeways shop
hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 01:30:57 PM

Hi

I like to buy 3 rings from you. What price can you offer me? Also, I would like to know the price of the bronce one, if you can do it. What would be the price of shipping to Europe?

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
goebat (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2011, 01:50:10 PM

@ hugolp: I've sent you a PM

My Shapeways shop
REF

Activity: 529
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 08:41:22 PM

you could probably make more money selling them instead of auctioning them.
goebat (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2011, 09:18:19 PM

@ REF: You're probably right - when I do them in Sterling I'll probably just sell them.

Nearly finished the redesign - it's looking WAY nicer than the old one!  Will post some renders tomorrow.

My Shapeways shop
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: