Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 04:02:20 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Mh/s question...  (Read 582 times)
grumblez (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 06:37:12 AM

I'm running on a 15" Retina MBP and have just been playing around with mining on it a little bit.  I realize GPU mining is almost dead at the moment, but bear with me.

Overnight last night I was running the BitMinter Java client and getting around ~20Mh/s.  I fired it up again this evening, and for some reason, am now only getting around 5Mh/s.  I'm seeing the same rate on both the BitMinter java client as well as with cgminer.  Nothing has changed on my system over the last day other than having to reboot it a few times for other reasons.  Does anyone have any idea why my Mh/s output rate has fallen so much?
hamdi

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 02:21:24 PM

maybe you ran it from battery this time and the other time you ran it with the powercord... ??
BenTuras

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 06:05:51 PM

I'm running on a 15" Retina MBP and have just been playing around with mining on it a little bit.  I realize GPU mining is almost dead at the moment, but bear with me.

Overnight last night I was running the BitMinter Java client and getting around ~20Mh/s.  I fired it up again this evening, and for some reason, am now only getting around 5Mh/s.  I'm seeing the same rate on both the BitMinter java client as well as with cgminer.  Nothing has changed on my system over the last day other than having to reboot it a few times for other reasons.  Does anyone have any idea why my Mh/s output rate has fallen so much?
Did you had some update installed ? I recall I saw an update that had to do with the Nvidia driver.

In case you want to check, do the following:
Click on the Apple in the upper right corner and choose About this Mac. Click on more info... Click on system report. Click on Extension in Software. Sort this list on Last modified by clicking on the heading. Is there a new Nvidia driver listed ?

I am selling in stock OneStringMiner boards, based on the Bitfury chips. Have a look here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=495536.0
grumblez (OP)

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 09:28:07 PM

No updates installed.  Both times were run with power attached to the machine.

I'm unable to test at the moment, though, as bitminter seems to be down :/
grumblez (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 04:12:23 AM

Well I think I figured out my issue.  The SMC needed to be reset (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964).  After doing that, my GPU performance is back up to normal levels.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3261

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 04:40:23 AM

20Mh/s is pitiful. Nvidia GPUs are not suited for mining. A typical ATI video card can do 300 Mh/s.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: