Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:27:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: there is no max block size problem  (Read 1878 times)
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 06:19:04 PM
Last edit: February 24, 2013, 02:24:29 PM by Anon136

Disclaimer: my solution is based on my understanding of economics, not my understanding of computer science (of which i have very little) but please dont let that frighten you off, im quite confident that economics is even more relevant here.

So lets suppose for the sake of discussion that this is the near future. 75% of the worlds population of 7.5 billion people uses bitcoin and there is demand for approximately 10 transactions per person per day. even increasing the max block size to something that pushes the technical capabilities of the fastest isps in the world (even while generously adjusting for the fact that this is the future) transaction fees would end up being hundreds or thousands of dollars a piece. What this means is that increasing the max block size is not a solution and never will be. We will either need to fundamentally alter the bitcoin protocol or embrace multiple blockchains.

Now it is possible that bitcoin devs could attempt to shoe horn in some way of creating multiple non-competative blockchains and maybe this could be a viable but it isnt the point of this post.

Now this argument could apply to truly alternative cryptocurrencies but lets say for the sake of simplicity that everyone decides "hey bitcoin works, it started at 0 dollars per coin and now its 500 dollars per coin, why mess with a good thing? lets just use testcoins to avoid high tx fees". So this makes testcoins valuable and this makes them not very good for testing and so someone invents testcoins2 and testcoin2 becomes the new testcoin1. Then this process can continue at infinitum any time tx fees become too high.

ok so the first criticism: "but this would be way too confusing for lay people, no one would want to deal with 100 or 1000 different bitcoins." In the future this could be made into a non issue with seamless exchanges (possibly decentralized anonymous and censorship resistant also?). this is because it is so incredibly easy to trade one crypto-currency against another. All prices could be denominated in bitcoin1 (the one that we are all using right now) and the exchange would automatically figure out how many bicoin7's you need to pay the retailer inorder to pay him the equivalent of x bitcoin1's. The bitcoin7s would be sent to the retailer and he would use a service like bitpay to instantly convert them into the asset of his choosing.

2nd criticism: "but we were promised that there would be only 21 million bitcoins, what you are proposing functionally eliminates any limit on the total number that can be produced meaning they have a value of 0 because they are non scarce." There is some legitimacy to this criticism. it would prevent bitcoins from rising in value past a certain threshold but i would argue that price stability is actually desirable for a medium of exchange. Bitcoin should not be thought of as a get rich quick scheme anyway, if you want to save your wealth in something deflationary than buy silver or gold, bitcoins are for spending! Also you couldn't just start a 100 new chains and say mowa ha ha i have a billion bitcoins as these coins would only have value if the market adopted them and the market would only ever adopt them if there was a legitimate need. This need would arise periodically and naturally when the existing chains fill up with too much capital.  Despite the fact that bitcoins would have a cap on their maximum value this system wouldn't be inherently inflationary either since it wouldn't make any sense for market actors to lend any value to new chains unless there was a legitimate need. And if bitcoin over all began to lose value this wouldnt even cause a loss in purchassing power for lay users since lay users would tend to use more established chains and capital would tend to be sucked from less established more speculative chains first before even touching older chains. (it would be a lot like traunches in a cdo). The net effect would be an amazingly stable purchasing power.

3rd criticism: "but what about the strength of the network? Splitting all this hashing power over multiple networks would weaken bitcoin over all, since each chain would be more susceptible to attack." Any successful attack on any chain would cause capital to naturally flee to other chains which would increase the transaction fees on those chains and increase their security proportionately. And since the only way to kill bitcoin would be to kill every chain, and even in the worst case scenario all the capital would flow into one chain, it would end up being functionally equivalent to having only 1 chain. So the total strength of bitcoin is still a function of the aggregation of hashing power on all chains. My proposal does nothing to hinder the strength of the bitcoin network but it does help to insure that we are not dedicating too many resources to securing any one chain (which is technically possible).

4th criticism: "even lay users would be forced to speculate on a fairly esoteric subject of which bitcoin chain best suited their needs." I think this is actually a very legitimate criticism but not enough to outweigh the aforementioned advantages. These people would probably be well advised to simply diversify among the established chains with higher tx fees and leave the lower tx fees for people who are slightly more involved.

notice that the only people who would ever get burned with reversed transactions would be people who were willing to trade too much in the way of security in favor of low tx fees. The people who prospered most in this market would be people who struck just the proper balance between security and tx fees and these people would accumulate more capital while those who failed to strike the proper balance would tend to lose capital. This would cause the market to be able to discover the correct trade off between low tx fees and security in a process very analogous to how competition and bidding in a free market causes capital to flow from entrepreneurs who are able able to utilize capital less effectively to entrepreneurs who are able to utilize the capital more effectively.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 07:16:02 PM

There is a lot of merit to this concept. It is robust and highly scalable.

My question is: do there really need to be multiple variations of bitcoins with multiple fx rates between them all?
Preserving the integrity of the 21m issue limit is important, so TierNolan's alternate proposal needs to be made known here:

Bitcoin alt chains which have no block reward and the mining is funded just by fees. Also, the alt-chains are funded with bitcoins from the primary chain. Miners could mine any chain they wanted to, but any alt-chain which had a 51% attack would be locked out of being able to send back to the main chain.

TierNolan's proposal in more detail:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=144895.msg1549816#msg1549816

While these solutions might work well in the long-term, bitcoin would still need an adaptive block size limit to progress in the short-term.

Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 07:20:40 PM

There is a lot of merit to this concept. It is robust and highly scalable.

My question is: do there really need to be multiple variations of bitcoins with multiple fx rates between them all?
Preserving the integrity of the 21m issue limit is important, so TierNolan's alternate proposal needs to be made known here:

Bitcoin alt chains which have no block reward and the mining is funded just by fees. Also, the alt-chains are funded with bitcoins from the primary chain. Miners could mine any chain they wanted to, but any alt-chain which had a 51% attack would be locked out of being able to send back to the main chain.

TierNolan's proposal in more detail:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=144895.msg1549816#msg1549816

While these solutions might work well in long-term, bitcoin would still need an adaptive block size limit to progress in the short-term.

actually i independently came up with a very similar idea that lead me directly to this line of reasoning =) The reason i didnt discuss it here is because this seems artifical. What i described in this post seems more likely to be the way that things would organically evolve all on their own if we simply accepted that there wasnt a max block size problem and left it at that. Tiers idea and my original idea both seem a bit like searching for a complex solution to a problem that doesn't exist. The one nice thing about tiers idea is it keeps alive the idea that maybe i could "buy a house for 1btc someday". I really like that thought

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 11:28:45 PM

So lets suppose for the sake of discussion that this is the near future. 75% of the worlds population of 7.5 billion people uses bitcoin and there is demand for approximately 10 transactions per person per day.

You know what, let's not assume this. 75% of the population doesn't even have an connection, what in the world is "near future" and how can you know what 10 or 20 years from today ISP will be able to handle if that is the time frame you hand in mind with "near future"?

This is stupid.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 12:02:06 AM

So lets suppose for the sake of discussion that this is the near future. 75% of the worlds population of 7.5 billion people uses bitcoin and there is demand for approximately 10 transactions per person per day.

You know what, let's not assume this. 75% of the population doesn't even have an connection, what in the world is "near future" and how can you know what 10 or 20 years from today ISP will be able to handle if that is the time frame you hand in mind with "near future"?

This is stupid.

irrelevant. I could say 25% of the worlds population and this would still be more than enough for my point to be perfectly valid. Also you should support this, i am arguing that we should just leave bitcoin alone and not mess with the protocol.

hazek
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 12:12:33 AM

This is stupid.

irrelevant. I could say 25% of the worlds population and this would still be more than enough for my point to be perfectly valid. Also you should support this, i am arguing that we should just leave bitcoin alone and not mess with the protocol.

Why would I support that? If you followed my ramblings they were about keeping Bitcoin decentralized.. not keeping the block size limit as it is. I'm perfectly willing to support and even advocate for any change that would solve scalability while keeping Bitcoin decentralized what ever that may be.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 12:48:09 AM

This is stupid.

Why would I support that? If you followed my ramblings they were about keeping Bitcoin decentralized.. not keeping the block size limit as it is. I'm perfectly willing to support and even advocate for any change that would solve scalability while keeping Bitcoin decentralized what ever that may be.

Your right, i wasnt remembering correctly

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2013, 01:06:46 AM

This is stupid.

Even if we do assume it, you forgot to include the percent who want to be able to screw the merchant by reversing the payment; a lot are likely to prefer "wallet" services that don't actually move coins on the blockchain, just credit the user's account with X number of coins. Given that the masses are used to 180 days to charge back, no coins need move on the chain until six months after the user "made a payment", and even then only for the amounts in aggregate that were not charged back from that six-months-ago business-week.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 08:59:55 AM

All I'm saying that making any assumption about the future is futile. We don't know the future, not near, mid or long term. Thinking otherwise is stupid.

The only thing we can know are relationships, relationships between different aspects of Bitcoin. No matter what will happen to Bitcoin, these are likely to always stay the same such as if block space gets scarce, fees are likely to rise. No matter how many people use Bitcoin, no matter how many transactions fit into a block, this relationship is highly likely to remain true. And so they are the only thing we have to go on when talking about solving problems.

p.s.: I now see I might have come off a bit harsh, that wasn't my intention and I apologize if I offended you OP

Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 12:38:41 PM

All I'm saying that making any assumption about the future is futile. We don't know the future, not near, mid or long term. Thinking otherwise is stupid.

The only thing we can know are relationships, relationships between different aspects of Bitcoin. No matter what will happen to Bitcoin, these are likely to always stay the same such as if block space gets scarce, fees are likely to rise. No matter how many people use Bitcoin, no matter how many transactions fit into a block, this relationship is highly likely to remain true. And so they are the only thing we have to go on when talking about solving problems.

p.s.: I now see I might have come off a bit harsh, that wasn't my intention and I apologize if I offended you OP

i dont even know how to get offended. i just want you to examine the merits of my (admittedly poorly articulated) argument =).

Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 02:04:34 PM

You know at some point we will be forced to accept multiple blockchains, there is no way around this. We will never be able to make the block size large enough to accommodate any sizable portion of the human population. So maybe there really wasnt any point in me writing this post, what it talks about is probably already inevitable =P.

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 02:08:34 PM

You know at some point we will be forced to accept multiple Internets, there is no way around this. We will never be able to make the network large enough to accommodate any sizable portion of the human population. So maybe there really wasnt any point in me writing this post, what it talks about is probably already inevitable =P.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 02:32:34 PM

I skimmed through, so excuse me if I missed it, but:
By introducing additional blockchains, you have in effect increased processing power of the overall system. Might as well increase (or dynamically adjust) the block size limit to achieve the same.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 02:52:06 PM

I skimmed through, so excuse me if I missed it, but:
By introducing additional blockchains, you have in effect increased processing power of the overall system. Might as well increase (or dynamically adjust) the block size limit to achieve the same.

except it cant be done by only increasing the block size. Atleast not without being willing to accept massive levels of centralization (i.e. bitcoin nodes with their own physical infrastructure connecting them). If you allow the blocks to become too large than people with regular internet connections begin to become unable to participate because they can not download the blockchain as quickly as is necessary to keep up with real time. This limit is reached way before any sizable portion of the population become active participants in the market.

since we must inevitably accept alternative blockchains why trade any level of centralization at all in favor of a higher number of transactions being possible on the main chain, lets just accept it with out increasing the level of centralization at all. Someone go make bitcoin2 with 2mb blocks or 10mb blocks w/e. Why shake anyone faith in the promise that the fundamental rules of bitcoin will not be changed, sure i understand that some would not feel this way but many also would.

CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2013, 03:03:21 PM

I find it strange why this has become such a big issue recently (is all the fuss just because of SD?) - the software has survived with the "mining" part of it basically being removed (was there the same amount of fuss when that occurred?) and I don't see why the large tx issues can't also be handled by other external means (whether it is done through other chains or through Ripple or off chain tx's or a combination of various methods).

Maybe I am wrong but I really think that the main point of Bitcoin is it being a decentralised *store of wealth* rather being a transaction system designed to replace all others (i.e. does "digital gold" really *need* to be transacted hundreds of times per second and if so then why have 10 minute confirmation times?).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 03:13:11 PM

I find it strange why this has become such a big issue recently (is all the fuss just because of SD?) - the software has survived with the "mining" part of it basically being removed (was there the same amount of fuss when that occurred?) and I don't see why the large tx issues can't also be handled by other external means (whether it is done through other chains or through Ripple or off chain tx's or a combination of various methods).

Maybe I am wrong but I really think that the main point of Bitcoin is it being a decentralised *store of wealth* rather being a transaction system designed to replace all others (i.e. does "digital gold" really *need* to be transacted hundreds of times per second and if so then why have 10 minute confirmation times?).

Actually the real value in Bitcoin arises from its use as a transaction system. If I just wanted to store wealth precious metals do this very well and will likely continue to do so regardless of whether  Bitcoin succeeds or fails.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 03:14:34 PM

i just want to set the important precident if you dont like it you should create your own and fix it there and never undermine the promises made by the protocol of a crypto currency. Those promises are sacred to some people, those people will flee to silver and gold if they start seeing rule changes occurring, even for the noblest of intentions.

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2013, 03:16:29 PM

Actually the real value in Bitcoin arises from its use as a transaction system. If I just wanted to store wealth precious metals do this very well and will likely continue to do so regardless of whether  Bitcoin succeeds or fails.

Whilst I do agree that tx's are important (without it the hashing power protecting the network would eventually disappear) I don't think it is really so easy to store precious metals in your own home (and I don't trust anyone else to store them for me).

Also I have seen various *fake gold bars* in recent press releases that came from extremely reputable sellers (whereas I know I can *trust* the value of a Bitcoin).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 03:17:39 PM

you underestimate bitcoins utility as a store of value. silver can not be stored inside of ones brain.

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2013, 03:18:36 PM

i just want to set the important precident if you dont like it you should create your own and fix it there and never undermine the promises made by the protocol of a crypto currency. Those promises are sacred to some people, those people will flee to silver and gold if they start seeing rule changes occurring, even for the noblest of intentions.

Am not sure who you are addressing with this as I was not advocating *changing* anything at all (the promises are surely what the source code *is* at the moment and nothing more).

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: