Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 01:50:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Developing Own Alt Coin?  (Read 1675 times)
CaptChadd (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1005

Product Marketing & Promotion / Software Developer

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 10:17:20 PM

Hi all,

I have been thinking about this for two years and I was wondering how I would go about creating my own Crypto Currency?

I see that there are a lot of alt coins, some of which have failed and some which have managed to carry on.

Can any one point me in the right direction to begin the creation of my own?

This is not for profit but just as this is my hobby and I get fun from learning and creating.

Thanks
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2013, 10:31:37 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2013, 10:46:42 PM by markm

Hmm. Unthinkingbit simply offered 100 bitcoin bounty* to get DeVCoin built, if I recall correctly. Maybe a few more bounties along the way.

Bitcoins have gone up since then of course, but different folk have different budgets for financing their hobbies.

Haw are you at programming? Familier with C++ ?

Maybe just try to read the source code anyway, even if you haven't programmed in the past. Maybe you will at least be able to figure out some of how they say things in that language and maybe it will all start to make sense. Maybe with a little help from your friend Google...

* Yet nonetheless did most / a heck of a lot of the work himself! Smiley

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
CaptChadd (OP)

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 10:37:04 PM

I have looked all around Google and I am guessing that the learning curve is very steep.

I am not looking for a "How To" guide, just somewhere where I can start to learnt the basic's of alt-coin building and go from there.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2013, 10:43:37 PM

Re Google, I mean that as you read the source code, Google can help you understand what it says / what it is trying to do, because lots of guides to C++ must be on the internetz somewhere and Google probably knows where.

As to a guide specifically to making Yet Another Altcoin, I suspect it is no accident that such guides are few (as in, maybe non-existent) and far between (as in haven't seen one in quite some time and might not for some time to come).

Maybe the closest thing to a guide was the Multicoin thread, which the forum search might find for you; multicoin was specifically designed to move all the things you'd need to change into the config file to make it easier to change them to use Multicoin to run various different chains just by telling it to use that chain's config-file.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
CaptChadd (OP)

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 11:19:56 PM

Would you be interested in getting involved in BQC at all?
FuzzyBear
Legendary

Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2013, 09:24:03 PM

Would you be interested in getting involved in BQC at all?
yes Smiley but I lack time and am always jumping at projects it seems Tongue

***** Earn DEV at http://devtome.com *****
Sunny King
Legendary

Activity: 1205
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2013, 10:01:49 PM

Steps of becoming an altcoin operator:

1) Learn to use git/github and build bitcoin/altcoins
2) Manage at least 2 nodes on 2 computers/VM/VPS
3) Bootstrap your own network by changing pnSeed, running with dnsseed disabled, irc seed disabled, and change pchMessageStart
4) Learn to make genesis block and start up network.
5) Change default p2p port and rpc port.
6) Change address version (optional)
7) Remove checkpoints, generate master key(s).
8> Cosmetic changes.

Now you can start playing with various parameter changes. Of course doing any real work from here on would require more skills and understanding of the innerworkings of bitcoin. But if you are just content with a simple clone of bitcoin/altcoins then it's done.

Good luck!  Wink
proff

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 10:33:07 PM

Hi all,

I have been thinking about this for two years and I was wondering how I would go about creating my own Crypto Currency?

I see that there are a lot of alt coins, some of which have failed and some which have managed to carry on.

Can any one point me in the right direction to begin the creation of my own?

This is not for profit but just as this is my hobby and I get fun from learning and creating.

Thanks

Hi Chadd

Glad to see you are excited by this topic!

It does require a lot of specialized knowledge. When you get to the point you are ready to undertake such a task, you will know you know enough. To start on that road, you can start learning topics in cryptography, computer science, programming, and eventually study existing implementations. Years of study and work, really, unless you already have the background.

I am not aware that there are "a lot" of such coins. Also keep in mind that some systems that work well for a small number of users do not scale well to a huge number of users. Anyway to get started, besides bitcoin, you can take a look at Chaum's digital cash and also distributed consensus protocols. If you do that you should get a good survey of the building blocks involved.
CaptChadd (OP)

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 12:57:22 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I think at the moment I will try something more basic, like cosmetic changes and go from there. Maybe ending up with forking a coin for the experience.
SRoulette

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2013, 04:51:46 AM

Steps of becoming an altcoin operator:

1) Learn to use git/github and build bitcoin/altcoins
2) Manage at least 2 nodes on 2 computers/VM/VPS
3) Bootstrap your own network by changing pnSeed, running with dnsseed disabled, irc seed disabled, and change pchMessageStart
4) Learn to make genesis block and start up network.
5) Change default p2p port and rpc port.
6) Change address version (optional)
7) Remove checkpoints, generate master key(s).
8> Cosmetic changes.

Now you can start playing with various parameter changes. Of course doing any real work from here on would require more skills and understanding of the innerworkings of bitcoin. But if you are just content with a simple clone of bitcoin/altcoins then it's done.

Good luck!  Wink

Thats a very nice run down Sunny, Expect to see a Roulette coin shortly Wink

proff

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 11:18:59 AM

Cloning or forking bitcoin is completely pointless, since what you get works like bitcoin even if you tweak the parameters slightly.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: